CNC job execution sequence

Talk about all things CNC
Harasi

CNC job execution sequence

Post by Harasi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:28 am

Hello shapeoko world .. Am new to all this but my shapeoko has been running great so far.

Today I used maker cam to make 2 rows of hexagonal shaped 7mm deep pockets each row has 3 hexagon with 5cm separation. After finishing up the design and sending the gcode to shapeoko I noticed that it will just make 1.5mm pocket "my step down settings" in one hexagon then it will move to the next one till all 6 finish then repeat this again and again till all reach the 7mm target. So most of the time cnc was moving back & forth from one to another hexagon around 50% of the time was inefficient. Now is this the way it works! or am I doing something wrong?
Shapeoko 2 full kit # unknown .. Makita compact router .. ACME Z axis upgrade kit

edwardrford

Re: CNC job execution sequence

Post by edwardrford » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:59 am

Hi Harasi,

Sounds like a cool little project. One of the oddities of makercam is that it processes features by layer (depth).

I'm assuming that you selected all of the hexagons and then applied the toolpath to the entire selected group? If that's the case, then it will execute in exactly the manner you descried.

If you'd like to execute each hexagon completely, then move on to the next, you'll need to select each one individually and apply the toolpath. It's a PITA, but the only way to get makercam to perform as you are hoping for.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 am

If you have a lot of repeated elements at discrete spacings you can use a local coordinate system to run a canned cycle if desired:

- code up the canned cycle so it runs from 0,0,0
- move the machine so that it's located so that 0,0,0 in the canned cycle is the current location
- set the machine to use a local coordinate system w/ the current location as 0,0,0
- run the canned cycle
- exit out of the local coordinate system and go back to the global machine coordinates
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Edward,

Yes as you said I have selected all of them then applied the tool path so I guess I should go with PITA option next time :) . So is this in makercam only or same in other cam software?

WillAdams,

Thanks will try this one day as this is too advance for me at this stage.
Shapeoko 2 full kit # unknown .. Makita compact router .. ACME Z axis upgrade kit

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Some of the more sophisticated CAM packages have the option to change the cut ordering when processing pockets - options are usually 'depth first' or 'level first'.
CamBam can do this (that I know of).
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

Marty M.

Post by Marty M. » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm

One of the things I do a lot is generate code for one round of passes at one depth and then copy and paste it multiple times in a word processor. By changing the Z to lower depths by using Edit/Find and Replace, the code stays at one rout until it is all done and then moves to another. I think this saves a lot of time. I stick a M00 between sections so I can find my spot in a long program. I use cambam to generate the code at the one depth.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 pm

M00?

Why not just add a comment?

Code: Select all

G1 X1 
G1 Y5

(Now to reposition)
G0 Z5
G0 X20 Y20

(Next block )
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Marty M.

Post by Marty M. » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Because many times the next rout requires a tool change at that point and I don't want it to go any further. Since I am doing guitar bodies primarily, I can skip sections or move within the program to add sections. Since the machine pauses, I can vacuum up chips, reposition clamps, or whatever. It only requires an enter stroke to continue.

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 am

So what exactly should I do when editing the gcode "in a simple way for a beginner" .. Today I had to do 20 CAM profiles :x in maker cam just to make 20 small circles holes.

& maker cam ended up doing 3 holes bigger than others while am sure every profile was exactly the same. :!: