End Mill Group Discount

Talk about all things CNC
Enraged

End Mill Group Discount

Post by Enraged » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:53 pm

as per the discussion in the end mill thread, I contacted an eBay seller that sells 1/8" shank carbide cutters, which should work nicely with the Dremel that most people are using on their Shapeoko, as well as any other type of spindle that can hold a 1/8" shank. All of the tools are made by Kyocera Microtools, and they all have a collar on the shaft to help locate the tool in the spindle. I'm hoping this set will cover the basic needs of new users cutting a variety of materials. The cost is low enough that it won't break the bank if you accidentally break a cutter.

He said that we can get a discount for a Shapeoko end mill set, and I am waiting to hear back from him on exactly what type of discount we are looking at.

I asked for a quote for 5 cutters, but we can always change things around if people want something different, so if you have a want/need, post it up.

I asked him for a quote for:
  1. 1/8" 4 flute end mill: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1-8-FOUR-FLUT ... 231a7a54da
Keep in mind this is a basic kit, just to get people started, and you can add additional cutters to your order. Once I hear back from him with a price, I will post it up here, so until then please refrain from barraging him with questions just yet :) All you will have to do to order the Shapeoko set is to email him and tell him you want the Shapeoko set, we will work out the details and discount ahead of time. Have a look through his eBay store to see what he has, and if you have any questions please post them here and hopefully we can get them answered.

MLange

Re: End Mill Group Discount

Post by MLange » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 am

Definitely interested :D
Shapeoko #280 (Inventables Batch #1)

nio

Post by nio » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 am

me too...

ForestRoyse

Post by ForestRoyse » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm interested. Would these tools all work well with wood? Some of them are described as suitable for use with plastics and soft metals, but wood isn't specifically mentioned for all of them.

Anomalous

Post by Anomalous » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm interested in this also.

I don't know much about machining. Are these end mills all capable of plunge cutting? I see the 4-flute and 1-flute mills you linked say center cut style (same thing as plunge cut?), but the 2-flute doesn't mention that.

It seems like it would be useful to have some smaller diameter end mills included also. Maybe a 1/16" one?

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:35 pm

How many does everyone want? I was thinking 5 cutters, and keep the price around $20-25 if we can, but we can specify different ones. You can also add your own cutters to your order if you want something specific.

Those were linked for example, but I think you are right, they all need to be center cutting to keep everything straight forward. I figured that the 1/8" will be the strongest, as it is very easy to break a small cutter with the wrong feeds and speeds.

In regards to the comment about number of flutes, from Wikipedia: "Typically, the more teeth a cutter has, the more rapidly it can remove material. So, a 4-tooth cutter can remove material at twice the rate of a 2-tooth cutter." This also effects speeds and feeds though. I was hoping that once we work out which end mills we want to get, we can post up a guide with what feedrates to use with each one, for a variety of materials.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Regarding the "more flutes can remove more material". That is right to a degree, so long as you have your feed matched up with the number of flutes and the RPM of your spindle (which is what I think Enraged was eluding to). However, as I said before, because we can't really adjust the spindle speed on a dremel (without losing a significant amount of torque), that doesn't really apply.

Also remember, the more flutes you have, the hotter your bit will get. So if you try to use a 4 flute bit in Plastic (especially acrylic) your material (and maybe bit) will gum up and you'll start to get a bunch of chatter due to the uneven edges (material melts, then cools). With the 2 flute, you can move faster, clear material more efficiently, and keep your bit cooler.

I like to stick with single or 2 flute bits for plastics (UHMW, acrylic, Delrin).
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:47 pm

i need like a 10 set. Would it be possible for different packages? Like:

5 part set
10 part set
20 part set

all different sizes and then have a 5 set for same size .
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

MLange

Post by MLange » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 pm

As far as what bits to order, maybe 1 for engraving, 1 or 2 for wood, 1 or 2 for aluminum, 1 or 2 for plastic? To start, I'd see myself milling some PCBs, some plastic project cases, and maybe some aluminum faceplates.
Shapeoko #280 (Inventables Batch #1)

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:56 am

MLange wrote:As far as what bits to order, maybe 1 for engraving, 1 or 2 for wood, 1 or 2 for aluminum, 1 or 2 for plastic? To start, I'd see myself milling some PCBs, some plastic project cases, and maybe some aluminum faceplates.
Exactly! PCB work and Project cases are a must for me too.
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE