akhlut

Re: New, larger aluminium extrusion

Post by akhlut » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Any word?

fl0yd

Post by fl0yd » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:31 pm

akhlut wrote:Any word?
I'm curious too. I was hoping to build a 4' x 4' cutting area machine around the S03 rail, but as we've recently learned that doesn't seem like an option.

Fl0yd

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:39 pm

I don't want to go with the same fabricator I use for MakerSlide. Their quality is good (unlike the previous supplier), but there always seems to be something that comes up and adds weeks or months to the delivery date of my orders. I am still committed to getting this profile made, it's just that it's going to take a little longer to get started.

On the plus side, as I said on the blog, I now have a good idea of what the die and the profile itself would cost: about £40 for a one-meter length. For a 1 m by 1 m machine, here's how this compares:
  • Four 1 m pieces of MakerSlide (Y and dual X) and one 250 mm piece for the Z: total £52;
  • Three 1 m pieces of MegaRail 80 (Y and single X) and two 250 mm pieces of MegaRail Z: total £129
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:00 pm

Of course, the most 'bang for the buck' if you already have a SO/SO2 or eSO, is probably to use it to replace the X and Z axis, and keep the old Y-axis Makerslides.
The big difference between an 'All Megarail' and a hybrid machine would be the motor plates, right, and those shouldn't be too difficult to cut.
(Took me about 5 minutes to design plates that would fit both dual-makerslides and MegaRail as X-axis for my own SO. Just added height and a few holes... The X-carriage and Z-axis, though, will take a bit of a brainwave)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 am

Any progress on the MegaRail, yet?
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Finally, I have a rough date for the availability of MegaRail 80 and MegaRail Z: end of October. August is, in the fabricator's words, "a write-off" (many extruding plants close during August), so they won't do much until September. Then, it takes 2-3 weeks to make the die, 2-3 weeks to extrude, at least one week to anodize, and another week or two to ship to the fabricator, cut to length, pack, and ship to me.

The final drawings are at https://github.com/amberspyglass/parts/ (DWG format; for DXF and PDF, scroll down -- these are the PDFs: MegaRail 80 and MegaRail Z).

I made small changes to both profiles compared to the designs I last posted. As a minor feature that makes no difference to the production cost, MegaRail 80 has two little slots on the inside, sized and spaced to take two PCBs plugged into each other using standard 0.1" pitch male and female headers. In addition to Misumi HFS5-compatible insertion nuts (which are available in M3, M4 and M5), MegaRail Z can now take standard M6 hex thin nuts (DIN 439) and M6 square nuts (DIN 562).

When I have some spare time, I'll write an article explaining all the features of the MegaRail system, with more dimensions (including wheel center distances for standard MakerSlide V-wheels and other types of V-wheel). I'll post the link here.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Cool!

Going to download the files now and start playing with OpenSCAD to see if I can design a decent carriage and Z-axis.

Which standard lengths are you planning to make?
Weird guy...

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 am

This is great news, Cat. Thanks for the update!
I am looking forward to getting my hands on some.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:26 pm

The fabricator are working on the dies now, so the estimate has slipped a little. It looks like it's going to be beginning of November.

grep

Post by grep » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Will you offer the extensions as an upgrade only? Or will you sell "extended shapeoko 3 kits" with the long extrusions already in the box?