AtomCNC Future

Talk about all things CNC
AtomSoft

AtomCNC Future

Post by AtomSoft » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:03 am

Ok im already thinking about the future of AtomCNC. (talking about rev 2) Might give it a nice new name also :)

Ok i would love some input here...

1) Should i stick with Pololu Drivers? If not then some suggestions please.
2) Should i move to the ATmega32u4 since it has USB built-in? Or something else?
3) Should i change the Stepper Terminals? What kind of connector should i use for the Steppers on the PCB if so ?
4) I was thinking of either using RCA jacks or 3.5mm jacks for the homing/gpio... should i change this?
5) Whats the average amperage your rotary tool uses? Is the 10A relay good? or overkill? or not enough?

Please help make the next installment of the AtomCNC even better.

Thank You!
Jason
AtomSoftTech.com
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

AtomSoft

Re: AtomCNC Future

Post by AtomSoft » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 pm

I was thinking about WIRELESS using Bluetooth... would that be a nice option? Would be simple to add.
Blog / Store
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.

Colecago

Post by Colecago » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Bluetooth wouldn't be bad, but I think wifi would be neater. Using something like the wifly shield.

2) I would definitely do this, no need for the extra FTDI, I don't think it offers much benefit beyond that though
3) Screw terminals are nice as you don't have to f with connecting ends, maybe go a cage clamp (spring) style if you really are looking to upgrade?
4) I like the 3.5mm jack, I've seen those used before as switch inputs, nice, clean, well sized, easy to get

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks,

0) Bluetooth is cheaper :) thats why i mention it. Ill take a look at that wifly shield though.
1) *Ok a MCU upgrade is being talked thought of now :)
2) Ill leave it screw then... its cheaper also :)
3) 3.5mm it is.

Thanks.. Cheaper options is a must.

*Note: I use a CP2102 not a FTDI its a couple dollars cheaper and i have more experience with it :)
Blog / Store

vios

Post by vios » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 am

AS,

Graet idea on upgrading the board :)
However please keep in mind that ShapeOko was build to keep the price as lower as possible.
Considering shapeoko as entry level cnc machine for beginners.
Using Atmel 644 and other features will increase the total price.
I suggest you stick to 328 and if additional features were to add maybe bluetooth is a good option.
I would like to test it if you got the board ready :D

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:43 am

:) thanks, I might leave the 328 or might upgrade... its still under consideration.

I have to think... but a MCU upgrade would add about +$5 to total cost... Bluetooth about +$15 etc... im working out stuff to make sure i keep it cheep. Im not rich and i doubt ill every be, so i might as well make things to my standard... PERFECT yet AFFORDABLE :)

When i get the V2 done and made... or about to ... ill be sure i inform you and you can jump on board ( :D i made a joke there... you get it ? :D ) im tired so dont mind me too much
Blog / Store

RSWeaverAz

Post by RSWeaverAz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:08 am

@atom, re the AtomCNC

1) There are some nice 2x40 and 4x40 character displays out there, they use some kind of 2 wire interface,
unfortunately they are like $30-40 for the 4 line x 40 character version with some kind of 2 wire board attached at the end,
rather than across the top as is typical on the2x20 character boards. Would they work using 2 of the 3 GPIO pins you bring out on the Rev1?
Any code on your Rev1 board to support that?

2) How much to add a little oled display like you showed on YouTube (reflow oven i think), Rev1 or more likely Rev2.

3) The Idea of some kind of arduino compatible shield connectors on the Rev2 would allow all the bells and whistles to be added later
using existing or custom built shields, something that the Rev 1 can't do.

Buy the way, if i sign up for the Rev1 GoGo before it runs out, do i pay at signup, or send money to your store when they ship?
Do you take credit cards or PayPal?
I'm trying to scrounge up the $ but the budget is not co-operating :roll:
I Launch Rockets
, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
ShapeOko S/N 396

vios

Post by vios » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 am

Adding Sd card features like the MakerBot would be soooooo cooool... :D

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

@RSWeaverAz

Im not sure if your aware of my skills but i can make any character lcd into a 2 wire, 3 wire system. For way less than that , my buddy tought me...
http://ghmicro.com/index.php/projects/7 ... ds3234-rtc

OLED is about $10 to add... I like them a lot! and they are 2-3 wire!

Adding arduino shield capability isnt hard but would cost more.

You pay when you contribute. I take paypal as well. I actually have only 4 pcbs left. You can buy PCB only and purchase your own drivers.. PCB is $50 without MCu and $60 with MCU... $10 difference because i have to preprogram and then actual MCU price :) I know how it is with budget. If you want my paypal email address is Jason@atomsofttech.com. If you make at least a half payment i can reserve a board for you.

@vios

SD Card features would be awesome and is totally doable but will raise price a little... about $10 - $15
Blog / Store

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 pm

for wireless... i was thinking bluetooth as it would be the cheapest option but range would be short... probably 10-30 feet.

taking that into consideration i thought of this...

the Wifly main part is : RN-131C $40

Then the part would be best controlled via another Atmega MCU as to not load the main MCU. so thats about a $50 increase in price for Wifly

Microchip has a nice wifi module for $30 : MRF24WB0MB
Now with another MCU to control it about $40 increase in price...

If i skip wifi altogether and use a wireless module from microchip... MRF24J40MA i would need 2... @ 12.95 each... $26 + $10 for extra MCU and control from PC...

About $36-$40 but the range would be approx 200-400 feet..

Your thoughts?
Blog / Store