Upgrading original shapeoko to be more like shapeoko 2

Talk about all things CNC
galyion

Upgrading original shapeoko to be more like shapeoko 2

Post by galyion » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:30 pm

I bought my so1 about 18 months ago. The mechanical kit plus stepper motors. It got put on the back burner for another CNC project (4x8 plasma table) up until last week. I got my gshield and remaining electronics as a Christmas present from my wife. I am a machinist by trade and I am going to be making as many of the upgrade parts myself as I can.

Now to my actual question. What all do I need to change to make my so1 a so2. I made the upgraded motor plates and end plates. Going to order 2 550mm 2020 extrusions. I have a waste board im going to use. I have the dual y motors.

.125 stainless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Upgrading original shapeoko to be more like shapeoko 2

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:41 pm

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ShapeOko_2 esp. see: http://sheekgeek.org/2014/adamsheekgeek ... adventures

Lessee:

In the bag:
- upgraded carriage plates
- open end plates
- dual y motors

Add:

- new belt anchors --- I'd suggest making them of stainless as Catalin does and narrow enough not to interfere w/ the travel.
- double Makerslide X-axis --- must have, and fasten them together
- upgraded Z-axis --- I'm not convinced this would be worth the effort --- the only absolute definite reason to do it would be if you were planning on increasing your Z-axis length (which I must admit is an upgrade I've had in mind for a while).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

galyion

Post by galyion » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:01 pm

i was going to use the belt anchors built into the end plates. is that a good idea?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Yes, if you like that appearance, then that's fine --- it doesn't afford adjustability though, which is a big win for eyebolts (and I'm hoping the nifty new belt anchors designed for the SO3).

I used those holes to store my collet wrench....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Chris Muncy

Post by Chris Muncy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 pm

I am in the process of upgrading my V1 to V2+
Got the grbl board and arduino.
New power supplies.
I got the new quiet spindle and controller for Christmas.
I've got a ton of Makerslide from when it first came out.
Got new stepper mounts and end plates.

So this weekend I am going to get the new spindle and electronics going and make sure everything works as planned then I'll start working on beefing up the X axis and expanding it and the Y axis.

Can't wait to get all of this done.
Chris

ShapeOko #670
4 Axis TB6560
Mach 3