Been Practicing with CAMBAM all day

Talk about all things CNC
Damin69

Been Practicing with CAMBAM all day

Post by Damin69 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:12 am

After working with CAMBAM allday. Well On and off during the Packer/Cowboy game and more after I am really starting to get the hang of it and Like it. Think that this is going to be a program I invest in. I will keep working with it more before I make my final decision but sofar I am really liking it. It is alot quicker than taking my items into makercam which is what I have been using as my primary gcode generator for the most part.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

MeanderBolt

Re: Been Practicing with CAMBAM all day

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:17 am

The deeper you get into it, and get it set up the way you like it, you will never look back. It is a really cook bit of software. Not to bad of a price either. The more you play with it you will discover little shortcuts that save SO much time.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29 am

MeanderBolt wrote:little shortcuts that save SO much time.
May I ask what shortcuts? In case I haven't discovered them yet :D

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:10 am

Things like saving specific types of cuts so that you can reuse them later. Not like MakerCam where you have to enter it each time. Also take the time to set up your mills so you don't have to enter all that each time.

Or copy paste steps onto another part. Especially useful if you have multiple steps. Or if you are doing multiples, you can do all the cams, then duplicate the part then generate the tool paths.

Dig into the docs and watch their tutorials. So many great Nuggets. Actually I watched several videos on YouTube in foreign languages. While I didn't understand the what they were saying, I watched how they used it. One video was clearly for a machine way bigger than what we are using and he was talking about mass production. I started seeing all sorts of little tricks that I hadn't seen. In their docs, you will read something that will give you an idea of how you might try something. Many times the ideas will work. It is deeper than it originally looks. Don't be afraid to dig.
Build log

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:51 am

Thank you!

bengtec

Post by bengtec » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:39 am

i found the same. being able to set up my tools in the library was a big help. also as i design in a cad program that doesnt output svg getting it to makercam was a bit of a pain. and i think they've got the price point just about right.
Ben
Stock SO2 #7722, Dremel 3000, Arduino Uno, G-shield, GRBL 0.9g
Rhino>CamBam>Raspberry Pi with GRBLWeb

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:59 pm

The best 'shortcut' I found with cambam is ctl+j. This is the join function and will take all of your segments (typically found in an exported dxf) and combine them into a polyline. Basically, select everything you want to join then press ctl+j and you'll be presented with a tolerance dialog box. I usually enter .001"

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:25 am

well, you guys are making me consider purchasing CamBAM... do they ever run sales? that might put me over the edge.

FG

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:03 am

Lordmundi, have you downloaded the trial? They give you 40 uses which I feel is very generous. It's not 30 days like some software, so design like crazy and make the best use of each opening of the program. Once open, use it all day. By the end, you will be good and hooked and the $150 will still sting like $150, but you know that your money is going to good use.
Build log

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:59 pm

well, i don't mind paying for it, so I don't need to drag out the free trial. I'm just very close to paying for it. If they announced a sale, I think I'd buy it today. Just wondering if they ever do that sort of thing.