Been Practicing with CAMBAM all day

Talk about all things CNC
twforeman

Re: Been Practicing with CAMBAM all day

Post by twforeman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:30 pm

I've never seen anything about a sale, but if there was one, I'd buy it in an instant.

The $149 is not really a high bar when it comes to software though. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Yeah $150.- round it up to $160.- and it's about 4 dinners at $40.-

It's instant gratification too .. you download the software, start using it, the key comes quickly in less than a day.

:twisted:

fl0yd

Post by fl0yd » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Caesar S wrote:Yeah $150.- round it up to $160.- and it's about 4 dinners at $40.-

It's instant gratification too .. you download the software, start using it, the key comes quickly in less than a day.

:twisted:
It's very capable, but I wonder when the next release is... 0.9.8N was released May 10 of 2013. The follow-up release appears to be 0.9.8P, is in it's second beta, but the last release of that was Oct 14 2013.

The developer responds on the forum, but the releases and subsequent features seem to be stagnant. I would be on the buying train if it showed signs of life.

Fl0yd

crispycargo

Post by crispycargo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 pm

MeanderBolt wrote:The deeper you get into it, and get it set up the way you like it, you will never look back. It is a really cook bit of software. Not to bad of a price either. The more you play with it you will discover little shortcuts that save SO much time.
Hey MeanderBolt, I am new to the forum (first post Yeah!) so I can't PM you yet, I saw in your signature that you have a workflow similar to what I want.

I have a shapeoko 2 and use meshcam to make my gcode files. I have recently started using CamBam to see if I like it more... Heck yeah I do!! I would also like to start using chilipeppr also, but in my simulations online using gcode from CamBam I am having issues with the toolpaths. When chilipeppr reaches an arch or circle, it doesn't co around it, instead it makes a straight line from one end of the arc to the next. I have also checked the code in openScam to see a simulation through that and it works perfectly. way better than what MeshCAM ever got me.

Am I doing someting wrong with CamBam? Is there a special way to export?

Thanks.

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:21 pm

You can do File -> Export to DXF

It only exports DXF files.

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey crispycargo, If I am understanding what you are speaking of, John did not fully flush out the simulation and it does not do arc motions. I don't program on his level, so he speaks above my pay grade, but I have seen the same thing on my set up. What I will generally do if I am questioning it, is run an air pass of the file to see how it is moving. If it seems to be okay,(which it always has been) I go ahead and run it.

You might also look at jscut
It is not programmed buy John, but it supposedly interacts with ChiliPeppr. I have not yet played with it as it is only for SVG as I understand it.

The past couple of weeks, I have started to experiment with Fusion 360 as it is free to makers (non commercial) and there is a cam portion of the program. I am about to try an end to end project with it to see where I find hiccups. While learning it I am recreating something I have already made so I have something to reference. It is a little hard to get the hang of some things as I use the hell out of dimensioning and there are no dimensions in the 3D workspace. This makes judging distances quite frustrating at times. The problem probably exists between the keyboard and the chair on this as I am just learning the thing, but it is really nice to be able to assemble all my pieces to see how it will come together prior to cutting.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

crispycargo

Post by crispycargo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 pm

MeanderBolt, thanks for the reply. I have not yet hooked it up to the tinyG to test, but I plan on doing that today. I'll give it an "air pass" as you do and see what happens. Then report back here. Hope fully it will work just fine.

I'll take a look in to jscut, but I do plan to cut parts from commercial use someday, so that might not be the best option for me. I'll also check into Fusion 360, but like you, dimensioning for me is a MUST!

Ok, sorry for the rabbit trails guys! Back to CAMBAM - LOVE it! :-)

gerogejg1

Post by gerogejg1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:49 pm

I love the lead in feature is makes milling holes more accurate and faster at least it does for me.