Good deal on a 3D Printer

Talk about all things CNC

Good deal on a 3D Printer

Postby twforeman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Since I don't seem to have enough projects in my life yet I decided I needed a 3D printer. :roll:

I found a place in China selling a Prusa i3 clone for $360 shipped.

https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/d ... usa-i3-kit

Now I need to come up with a 3D scanner system and I'll be ready to take over the world! :)

Is anybody using the Autodesk 1-2-3Catch process yet?
Prusa i3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts
twforeman

Re: Good deal on a 3D Printer

Postby Gadgetman! » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:27 pm

This is the scanner I'm getting:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... ild-yourse

I already have the Pi(both aB+ and a 2), the camera and some plastic filament.
Just waiting for my Overlord Pro(KS limited edition 'Black Devil' colourscheme) and the kit of parts from he Atlas KS.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.
Gadgetman!

Postby twforeman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Well darn, wish I had seen that scanner kickstarter when it was running.

Now I'll have to wait for him to opensource all the parts and build it the hard way. :)
Prusa i3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts
twforeman

Postby DaveHinz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm hoping I can use my SO3 with an extruder toolhead and have a much better 3D printer than I had with my Makerbot.

Has anyone here done this? Seems like the XYZ controls are an obvious benefit, and adding an extruder to make it into a 3D printer is a no-brainer. So anyone have suggestions? I haven't been involved in 3D printing since the day Makerbot sold out and betrayed open source, so I've been out of it for a year or three.
- Eggbot
- Makerbot Cupcake (RIP)
- SO3, Bach 1, #174
DaveHinz

Postby Gadgetman! » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:01 pm

The problem with using an SO2 or SO3 as a printer is the max height of printing.
Also it's kind of difficult to add a heated print bed, at least without reducing the print height even more.

There's a subforum here dedicated to this conversion...

The Overlord Pro I backed can print something with a diameter up to 160mm and height of 260mm.

As for the Atlas, one of the backers have already built his own.
The SW is still being tweaked, but can already be downloaded, if you decide to build your own. Most of the .STLs have also been relesed.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.
Gadgetman!

Postby akhlut » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Just download and print the parts for you own 3D scanner.

http://diwo.bq.com/en/
akhlut

Postby WillAdams » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:02 pm

DaveHinz wrote:I'm hoping I can use my SO3 with an extruder toolhead and have a much better 3D printer than I had with my Makerbot.

Has anyone here done this? Seems like the XYZ controls are an obvious benefit, and adding an extruder to make it into a 3D printer is a no-brainer. So anyone have suggestions?

Yes.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/RepStrapOko

There are more at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/3D_Printing
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby Gadgetman! » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:29 pm

The Diwo whatever uses an Arduino UNO as a controller...

What kind of resolution and scanning speed can it manage?
Weird guy...
Gadgetman!

Postby akhlut » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:The Diwo whatever uses an Arduino UNO as a controller...

What kind of resolution and scanning speed can it manage?

I suppose that all depends on the driver. It's currently a direct-drive setup, so with an A4988 with 200 step motors you're looking at 3200 steps/rev. Not that you can really achieve that. So let's say 8X/1600 steps. For a 150mm diameter object that gives a surface area of about 0.3mm per step, so not bad You could gear this down and get ultra-fine, but I would imagine the width of the laser would be a limiting factor. As far as speed, I imagine that would be controlled by the speed of the camera taking the pictures.

It's all GRBL-based, so a GRBL shield should work with this firmware - you might have to modify it a little though.

The biggest issue for the ciclop is the 16014 bearing. About $30 for that component alone. Might be worth it to redesign the entire rotary table to use a $5 lazy susan bearing.

Once my current project is complete this is on my to-do list.
akhlut

Postby Gadgetman! » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:11 pm

The problem isn't driving the stepper...
We already KNOW a UNO can handle a couple of steppers at the same time, perfectly well. ;-)

The problem is the mass of data from the camera. All that data must be processed to find the points.

Not that it matters. There's no mention of what kind of SW they're using at all. All they have are some CAD files.
Frankly, the entire Diwo site worries me. It's not really possible to find anythng in a logical manner.
(Yes, I checked it on GitHub)

Incidentally, they're using a USB-based webcam, but the UNO isn't an USB-master, so it can't control the camera.

The Atlas uses a Pi B+ or 2, which isn't all that more expensive, and the 5Mpixel is MADE for the Pi, so is directly supported.
The Pi Cam not only has a larger resolution(The Logitech c270 is a 3Mpixel camera) but it's also cheaper than the Logitech.
Weird guy...
Gadgetman!

Next

Return to Discussion