Good deal on a 3D Printer

Talk about all things CNC
rtlflatt

Re: Good deal on a 3D Printer

Post by rtlflatt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:00 am

WillAdams wrote:Details on that here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... PID_Tuning
man this guy is good. updates/reference links always posted before i even have time to see the new reply

and i ended up getting a different printer after couple hours of googling other options and reviews

here is what i ended up getting

i wasnt able to find very many reviews on this specific printer but those i did find indicated this would be a good buy. hoping it not bad choice. grandparents randomly sent me some funds to help with my world domination plan so decided to spend lil more on a prebuilt one.

and trying to build a printer kit for first time + trying to build s03 for first time = probably a big mess and 2 unfinished projects

edit:
and i bought it yesterday and it supposed to arrive tomorrow so at least the shipping service good. damn near quicker than amazon prime
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

Fergyz

Post by Fergyz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:12 am

twforeman wrote:
CastIrony wrote:
And they don't provide standoffs (which they should.)
When you make your next machine, you can print your own standoffs :D
Heh, I cut up a ball point pen tube to make standoffs and plan on printing a set pretty soon. :)
cvoinescu wrote:By that logic, they should provide you with a spool of plastic and a hot end you can push that plastic in by hand, and let you build up from there. Laser-cut acrylic is overrated.
:P
What size stand off's do you think they should have included?

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:16 pm

6mm id by 10mm high would be about perfect.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Galaxy S4.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:55 pm

I got an email this morning on this deal and thought I'd pass it along. Decent review on CNet, dual extruder Makerbot clone that will run the new Makerware software. Trying hard to resist pressing the buy now button while waiting for my S3 to arrive.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

reganissu

Post by reganissu » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:52 am

I found this

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:736145

SUNHOKEY ACRYLIC PRUSA I3 Y-axis Stepper Mount
Description
This mount is to replace the stock mount for the y axis stepper motor.
The mount flexes when under belt tension and my engineers mind cringed at the idea. So i designed this up.

It could be a good test print/machine improvement for sunhokey i3 owners.
Shapeoko 2 with 1000mm xrail, makita router
Prusa I3, 3D printer

reganissu

Post by reganissu » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:33 am

Hey tim,
have you figured out what is the white (double) cable that came in the same bag with pololu drivers' heatsinks?
It ends with a sensor i cannot recognize.
Shapeoko 2 with 1000mm xrail, makita router
Prusa I3, 3D printer

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:46 pm

reganissu wrote: have you figured out what is the white (double) cable that came in the same bag with pololu drivers' heatsinks?
It ends with a sensor i cannot recognize.
I believe that it is an extra thermistor (temp sensor). I'm not sure why they sent it along, but it never hurts to have spare parts. :)
reganissu wrote:I found this

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:736145

SUNHOKEY ACRYLIC PRUSA I3 Y-axis Stepper Mount
Interesting. I haven't noticed any flexing on the Y motor, but I haven't been looking for it.

There is some flex in the Z mount that I need to investigate, but it might just be due to the cheap linear bearings.

I'm slowly getting my printer tuned in to do a pretty good job with PLA, then I'll have to do it all over again for ABS. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:02 pm

twforeman wrote: I'm slowly getting my printer tuned in to do a pretty good job with PLA, then I'll have to do it all over again for ABS.
Yeah, I'm really bummed that I managed to destroy yet another hot end, and while I'm looking forward to getting a B3 Innovations Pico, I'm not looking forward to how fiddly it's supposed to be for PLA, or the ``requirement'' that one unload filament if not using the machine.

Maybe I'll try again w/ a J-head (I'm still sad about the one I destroyed through willful stupidity and ignorance), but first we'll see how an all-metal hot end works out. Really wish there was a readily available Prusa nozzle here in the States.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:12 pm

How did you destroy it? More than one? What are you doing to them?

I unload mine because the PLA is hydroscopic and I want to bag the reel of filament between uses...
Ender 3 3D Printer

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:37 am

Darn you twforeman! I could not stand it anymore and had to order one! Now my cats will go hungry and I will not sleep anymore! You had to share your build, good customer service experience and software/firmware updates.

But seriously, thanks for documenting your experience. It was this kind of information that encouraged me to purchase the Shapeoko 2 and now a 3D printer to compliment it.

BTW have your found a good source of inexpensive filament?