MakerSlide Europe

Talk about all things CNC
baz

MakerSlide Europe

Post by baz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi all,

Now as a few of you may have gathered I am from the UK. I haven't had to many problems with accessibility along my build, most shipping charges are pretty reasonable, for example the new upgrade pack was only $35 for shipping. Now things start to get a little more complicated when length gets involved! so that brings me to my question and proposal. I am planning on extending my ShapeOko, and am also building a 2.x laser so I will need a fair amount of makerslide. I have ordered some openrail in the kickstarter campaing but that wont arrive till nearly september (I cant wait that long! :x ) (Also the open rail equivalent of Makerslide, two rails, some extrusion and a few nuts and bolts is actually relatively cheap and overall turned out to be $45 per meter, and that's fully inclusive of all shipping) But I would really like to get some real Makerslide, however, as i have mentioned before the length of Makerslide makes it a shipping nightmare.
I have had a quick quote from Phil Lomac at the Inventables store;

(x6)1200mm: cost of MakerSlide $147.90 + UPS shipping of $126.75
(x3)2000mm: cost of MakerSlide $103.95 + UPS shipping of $120.95

The shipping is pretty much the same as the goods, that's crazy! :o

So the grand plan is to get a couple/few European orders bundled in to one. I will be more than happy to take delivery of a load and then redistribute it around Europe.

So please please please, if any in Europe is contemplating or even thinking about getting some Makerslide, take your chance now and help me get some shipped over at a reasonable price. If this cant happen that I will be stuck with a wait till September for open rail, and it still wont be as good as the real thing.

(I know this idea has happened before but unfortunately I missed out, and so would therefore like to organise my own group)

Many Thanks

Regards

Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

loopingz

Re: MakerSlide Europe

Post by loopingz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Did you check if there would be a real gain here? I mean shipping the 2meters profile can cost money also within Europe. A guess at least 30euros by package. If we have correct prize I would be interested in some profile anyway.
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

baz

Post by baz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:13 pm

loopingz wrote:Did you check if there would be a real gain here? I mean shipping the 2meters profile can cost money also within Europe. A guess at least 30euros by package. If we have correct prize I would be interested in some profile anyway.
Thanks for your interest, I am currently waiting for quotes from some companies to ship within Europe (DHL and Parcelforce)

Regards

Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

Digitalmagic

Post by Digitalmagic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:38 am

A grouped batch shipping from US can be good, if boat shipping is used to cut cost.

But what can be attempted is a project on european ulele.com (ala Kickstarter)
"Make good things happen" http://www.ulule.com/
The challenge would be to reach a given length of Makerslide, with 1200mm/2000mm offers.

There are major european extrusion companies which could produce this, if a quantity is met.
From here, a special packaging deal can be settled with a postal service for 2000mm.

If there is really an interest in this, ulele project could succeed, even with one or two attempts.
Can be coupled with Open Rail project to reach industrial quota.
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!

baz

Post by baz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 am

Hi digital,

That site is awesome, I never new about it. I think you are right, the best way is to actually produce it in Europe, however quite large interest is needed. I am going to try and get some quotes from extrusion manufacturers in the UK and find out there minimum run. I will also have to speak with Bart.

Regards

Baz
MakerSlide Europe Store

baz

Post by baz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Quick update;

I have sent 11 enquiry emails to manufacturers in the UK, asking for a minimum order amount with quote. And also about a die manufacturing.

Waiting for replies now.
MakerSlide Europe Store

Digitalmagic

Post by Digitalmagic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Baz,
I could team with you in this project.
One of the main european alu extruder is hydro.com, i think, it is a large group with subsidiaries everywhere.
We noow need to find the minimum industrial quota which yield an affordable price by the meter.

I think Makerslide is open source, there is perhaps some principle to comply with.
On the other end, OpenRail is open source (see Kickstarter).
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!

baz

Post by baz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:30 pm

That would be good digitalmagic,
I have already contacted Hydro, and am waiting for a reply. Once I get some replies and quotes I will post them. Then depending on these quotes, I/We need to launch either a Kickstarter or Ulule to get the funds to commit to the manufacturing process. MakerSlide is open source so there shouldn't be any problems us commissioning it to be made, I have got the extrusion profile and included it in my emails to manufactures when asking for quotes. As I mentioned earlier one of the main aspects and costs will be getting a custom die cut.

Regards

Baz
MakerSlide Europe Store

tioJim

Post by tioJim » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:32 am

Hi Baz

Once I'm up to speed with my ShapeOko I intend to extend it so I can mill faceplates for 19" rack mount enclosures. Therefore I would need something like two 24" lengths - but no more than that and I can't imagine being in that position until later in the year.

Thanks
Jim

baz

Post by baz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks Jim, I will keep you updated if I get any further with this.
MakerSlide Europe Store