Which bits/end mills should I have to start with? DWP611

Talk about all things CNC
Sisco

Which bits/end mills should I have to start with? DWP611

Post by Sisco » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:03 pm

I've pre-ordered the Shapeoko 3 and I just ordered the DeWalt DWP611 from Lowes for $89.10 (10% off discount code) as it was the lowest price I could find and it's local.

I have done a lot of reading and I know I will want a couple collets.. 1/8 and 1/4. It appears that the best two choices based on the threads I have read, are PreciseBits and Elaire. It doesn't seem I can go wrong with either?

I'm new to CNC and routing in general, so what bits/end mills should I get to start with? What bits/end mills could you not get by without?

Rick
Machines Make My World!
------------------------------
Inventables X-Carve (Shapeoko 2.5) -- Mid-May
MakerFarm Prusa i3v 12"
Harley Davidson Heritage Softail

LTEPM

Re: Which bits/end mills should I have to start with? DWP611

Post by LTEPM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 pm

@sisco, What type of materials do you want to cut & what type of work are you planning on doing?

Most of the work I envision immediately when I get my SO3 will be cutting Hardwood 3/4"-1 1/4", then expanding from there. I'll use 1/4" carbide spiral up cut & down cut bits to begin with. My preference is Whiteside Machine router bits for these for the material I will be working with, I'm not sure if they offer any CNC bits or endmills.

Brian Stone

Re: Which bits should I have to start with? DWP611

Post by Brian Stone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:36 pm

The stock 1/4" collet that comes with the 611 seems to be good enough for most people. Forum member twforeman recently measured his stock 1/4" collet at 0.004" of runout, and a Precise Bits 1/4" collet measured in at 0.002" of runout, which is well under the precision of the Shapeoko anyway. Unless you're going to use really small diameter bits to mill really small details, such as 12 mill PCB traces, then you probably don't need to worry about it. And... you probably wouldn't be doing that kind of work with a trim router anyway.

There is a post that discussed a complaint against Elaire collets. But, it's not clear if the defect discussed in that thread is something that everyone needs to be concerned about. And it should also be noted that Elaire does have a guarantee against defective parts, so you're not exactly stuck with what you get.

I bit the bullet and bought the entire PreciseBits set of three collets (DEPG-0611-843KIT: 1/4", 3/16", and 1/8"), which cost more than the router, but I have yet to use the 3/16" collet. I only have two 3/16" end mills, and I haven't used either one, because my 1/4" bits are just better. The only situation where I can see myself using the 3/16" shank bits is if I break or dull all of my 1/4" bits and I need a backup immediately, but that's not likely to happen. It's hard to break a 1/4" bit with this machine (and, yes, I've tried... accidentally).

So, my recommendation is to use the stock 1/4" collet and nut, and just buy a 1/8" collet and compatible nut. With PreciseBits nuts you also need their claw-like wrench.

As for bits, the one and only bit that I absolutely can't live without is a really good carbide 1/4" flat end mill. I've been doing nearly all of my work with these bits. This one from Kodiak is what I've been using since mid-January.
http://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Solid-Carb ... iak+137388
I also recently bought this one from Kodiak, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm hoping that the shorter shank lets me do some more aggressive cuts.
http://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Diameter-C ... 306&sr=1-3
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

Sisco

Post by Sisco » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 am

LTEPM wrote:@sisco, What type of materials do you want to cut & what type of work are you planning on doing?

Most of the work I envision immediately when I get my SO3 will be cutting Hardwood 3/4"-1 1/4", then expanding from there. I'll use 1/4" carbide spiral up cut & down cut bits to begin with. My preference is Whiteside Machine router bits for these for the material I will be working with, I'm not sure if they offer any CNC bits or endmills.
I want to be able to work with softwood, hardwood, plywood, plastic/acrylic, aluminum.. heck, I'll probably want a drag cutting bit for vinyl too. I am getting the Shapeoko 3 without direct plans for any specific project, but more as a general DIY tool, so I think getting a decent selection of end mills is a good idea.

Right now I have a grand for the Shapeoko 3, and I already purchased the DWP611 for the spindle. I have a couple grand left in my budget so I don't mind buying what I will need and I have time before I get my S3 in April to get the stuff I will need ahead of time. I just don't want to drop a bunch of cash on bits of various sizes/styles/brands that I would never use, which is why experienced users input is so valuable. :)

Rick
Last edited by Sisco on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machines Make My World!
MakerFarm Prusa i3v 12"

Sisco

Re: Which bits should I have to start with? DWP611

Post by Sisco » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:17 am

Brian Stone wrote:The stock 1/4" collet that comes with the 611 seems to be good enough for most people. Forum member twforeman recently measured his stock 1/4" collet at 0.004" of runout, and a Precise Bits 1/4" collet measured in at 0.002" of runout, which is well under the precision of the Shapeoko anyway. Unless you're going to use really small diameter bits to mill really small details, such as 12 mill PCB traces, then you probably don't need to worry about it. And... you probably wouldn't be doing that kind of work with a trim router anyway.

There is a post that discussed a complaint against Elaire collets. But, it's not clear if the defect discussed in that thread is something that everyone needs to be concerned about. And it should also be noted that Elaire does have a guarantee against defective parts, so you're not exactly stuck with what you get.

I bit the bullet and bought the entire PreciseBits set of three collets (DEPG-0611-843KIT: 1/4", 3/16", and 1/8"), which cost more than the router, but I have yet to use the 3/16" collet. I only have two 3/16" end mills, and I haven't used either one, because my 1/4" bits are just better. The only situation where I can see myself using the 3/16" shank bits is if I break or dull all of my 1/4" bits and I need a backup immediately, but that's not likely to happen. It's hard to break a 1/4" bit with this machine (and, yes, I've tried... accidentally).

So, my recommendation is to use the stock 1/4" collet and nut, and just buy a 1/8" collet and compatible nut. With PreciseBits nuts you also need their claw-like wrench.

As for bits, the one and only bit that I absolutely can't live without is a really good carbide 1/4" flat end mill. I've been doing nearly all of my work with these bits. This one from Kodiak is what I've been using since mid-January.
http://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Solid-Carb ... iak+137388
I also recently bought this one from Kodiak, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm hoping that the shorter shank lets me do some more aggressive cuts.
http://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Diameter-C ... 306&sr=1-3
Very good to know. Thank you for the links as well.

Rick
Machines Make My World!
MakerFarm Prusa i3v 12"

secretspy711

Post by secretspy711 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:47 am

Check out drillman1 on ebay. That's where I get 90% of my bits. Excellent quality and I haven't found anywhere that can beat his prices.
Shapeoko 2 #5510: 1200 x 500 mm, Makita RT0701

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 am

We do have a section on this in the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... mendations
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Sisco

Post by Sisco » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Thank you.
Machines Make My World!
MakerFarm Prusa i3v 12"

eefits

Post by eefits » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 pm

@edwardrford : what end mill you was using to mill that aluminum block that you posted a while ago?

I work with wood most the time, and never have a machine can mill metal. So I would like to know what end mill to use to mill aluminum? Number of flutes, angle, type upcut, chip breaker. I am hoping someone can explain a little bit which specify end mill for what material.

Thanks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:13 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)