Looks like the Shapeoko 2 has been discontinued

Talk about all things CNC
twforeman

Looks like the Shapeoko 2 has been discontinued

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:36 pm

At least Inventables is now selling the "X-Carve" which is basically an upgraded Shapeoko 2.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve

The extrusion for the Z axis carriage is interesting.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

dave_the_nerd

Re: Looks like the Shapeoko 2 has been discontinued

Post by dave_the_nerd » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:46 pm

A sad day. But now that I'm looking at their website again, $20 for a limit switch kit seems like something worth doing. :mrgreen:
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Well, it doesn’t have the name, but it still looks like a Shapeoko. At the end of the day, it’s probably a good thing. It would have been confusing to have two types of Shapeoko being sold at different venders.

It does look like they did some cool improvements to the design though.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

dave_the_nerd

Post by dave_the_nerd » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm

CalebPeters wrote:Well, it doesn’t have the name, but it still looks like a Shapeoko. At the end of the day, it’s probably a good thing. It would have been confusing to have two types of Shapeoko being sold at different venders.

It does look like they did some cool improvements to the design though.
Indeed.

The spindle doesn't inspire confidence, though.
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Interesting. It's basically an Inventables branded Shapeoko 2 with some interesting changes. I must say it does look pretty nice being mostly black and I really like how professional it feels. Not to shamelessly plug my offerings, but considering the price range I think the standard Routakit is definitely the better machine (being more rigid, better z-axis, and more room for upgrades/mods/additions) if people are willing to spend a little bit more. But I'm glad people are having more options then ever for affordable open source cnc machines, so kudos to Inventables. Just like with buying a car or a computer, people like to be presented with options.

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:58 pm

dave_the_nerd wrote:A sad day. But now that I'm looking at their website again, $20 for a limit switch kit seems like something worth doing. :mrgreen:
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... cts_id=302

I bought those. Still waiting on s3 so I haven't tested yet tho. I think Ethernet cable are shielded as well but I'll have to double check that later
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:08 pm

rtlflatt wrote: I bought those. Still waiting on s3 so I haven't tested yet tho. I think Ethernet cable are shielded as well but I'll have to double check that later
Most ethernet cable is not shielded. The pairs inside are twisted to reduce coupled interference (at different twists per inch per pair) but there is not usually a shield and drain line.

You can get shielded CAT5/6, but it's not standard.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

aztecnology

Post by aztecnology » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Watching the X-Carve videos, it looks pretty cool and looks like they took a lot of suggestions in regards to improvements.
Shapeoko 3 #1055

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:44 pm

I've been through enough nasty forked open source project fights to appreciate just how smoothly the Shapeoko split has been pulled off.

Congrats to Edward, the Inventables team, and anyone else who was involved for handling a potentially awkward situation with maturity and class.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

CalebPeters

Post by CalebPeters » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:51 pm

So… if I get the X-Carve Shapeoko 2 upgrade kit, what do I call it?

Hmm … X-Shapeoko… Shapeoko-X… Man, naming stuff is hard.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.