How to prepare for Shapeoko 3 - New to CNC

Talk about all things CNC
XStroX

Re: How to prepare for Shapeoko 3 - New to CNC

Post by XStroX » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:35 pm

WillAdams wrote:
That's pretty basic CAM functionality, MakerCAM or gcodetools in Inkscape will do that. You should reverse the order.
Makes sense. Save the outline for last so I have something to secure the piece with.

I'll check out MakerCAM and give this a shot.

Stro

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Electrical prep question: I'll be plugging in the SO3 and DWP611 into a power strip that will go into an outlet wired to a 15A breaker.
I know the DWP is 7A and the SO3 will have a 10A power supply. So my rudimentary math says 17A total. Ahem.

Will the SO3 use all 10A of the power supply? It will power both the board and the motors.

Do I need to find a 20A circuit or is there some electrical gymnastics that I don't know about that will allow me to safely and continuously use the outlet wired to the 15A circuit?

Are there any other power draws from a S03 set up that I'm not accounting for here?
Shapeoko 3 #304

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:31 pm

That power supply is 10 A output, at 24 V, for a total of 240 W. Ignoring losses and power factors, that translates to 2 A at 120 V (or just over 1 A at 230 V) at the input. Taking losses and a typical (bad) power factor into account, 4 A would still be plenty.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:15 am

Will, thanks for the extensive list of programs/software to be used in the CNC process. I guess for me I would be seeking a relative proven path, given I have generated the G-code. Which of the 10 or so controller programs is stable and has the best set of functionality. Of course aimed at the SO3.

Thanks,
Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks. That was all from the wiki though.

Sending G-code is a simple process --- you can do it w/ a terminal program, I'd much rather the effort was all unified into a single stack of modular programs, but I guess modern computer architecture doesn't support that.

Inkscape and MakerCAM and GRbl Controller work for me, albeit w/ the odd crash (running MC locally helps) and the need to trim files after the fact (yeah, it's supposed to happen automatically, I'd rather just do it up front).

Tl;dr --- currently I'm most familiar w/ and use Grbl Controller (but have since pretty much switched to either Carbide Motion, or bCNC)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

reprobubbles

Post by reprobubbles » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:27 pm

I was looking at purchasing some cheap end mills. I'm sure I'm going to break a few before getting the hang of things. I plan on just cutting wood at first. Would the end mills work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Long-1pc- ... 4ae061229a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Long-1pc- ... 3398ff1eae

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:33 pm

2mm is really narrow and prone to breakage --- why so small? Also, what collet would you be using that'll accept the 6mm shank diameter?

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Endmills
The best starting point is the default 2-flute, square-ended, straight-cutting (able to center-cut) 1/8" high speed steel (or solid carbide) endmill w/ no coatings.[4] One should move away from that baseline as is dictated by the materials which you are cutting, and the fashion in which you wish to mount them in the work-area, and the quality of cut which you expect. Switching to a spiral up-cut endmill for better chip ejection is an obvious choice (to the detriment of cut quality and increased chipping at the top surface when cutting plywood).
( footnote link is to: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6846#p6846 )

and at the bottom of the page we have: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... mendations
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

veng1

Post by veng1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Anyone know the cheapest US source for a DNP611 (with shipping)?

The $79 price seems to be gone.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:33 am

Looks like buying a DWP611 for $120 at Amazon is your current bet.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:05 pm

So far that's the best price I've found too. Please keep your eyes open.

I'm going to wait at least until shipment notification for a better price.