Re: How to prepare for Shapeoko 3 - New to CNC

Post by cdninoh » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:09 pm

WillAdams wrote:Please describe everything from beginning to end:

- which machine
- what motors
- which electronics
- what instructions did you follow
- results of any testing
Sorry Will. Guess I didn't state all that upfront.

It's #184 of the SO3 build so;
N23 motors
Carbide board
Ed's instructions as well as the Wiki stuff
My only tests have been to run the "First Job" coaster and to try the 'preferances' change of 'pixels per inch'.
I did try scaling up my drawing but have run into a problem with Carbide motion wher I can not get the Z axis to zero out. Keeps putting numbers in there and I can't seen to change them.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Please check the settings for:

- $100, $101, $102
- DIP switch settings on the Carbide Motion board

Then create a file w/ two drill points, a known distance apart and run them. Measure from edge-to-edge.

Then cut a pair of slots and measure their width, comparing to the endmill’s measured diameter.

Then do the math to calculate an adjusted number of steps per : http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ting_Steps

Then cut a profile or shape using the adjusted numbers
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cdninoh

Post by cdninoh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:49 pm

WillAdams wrote:Please check the settings for:

- $100, $101, $102
- DIP switch settings on the Carbide Motion board

Then create a file w/ two drill points, a known distance apart and run them. Measure from edge-to-edge.

Then cut a pair of slots and measure their width, comparing to the endmill’s measured diameter.

Then do the math to calculate an adjusted number of steps per : http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ting_Steps

Then cut a profile or shape using the adjusted numbers
Well, I believe I understand all that you've said and tried to mill the slots you mentioned however, I've had more software issues.

For reasons I cannot explain, Carbide Motion is doing crazy things BESIDES the issue of populating random axis with strange numbers when I attempt to zero everything.
I have been able to get around that by hitting "L", clearing everything and then the 'disable' button. Then I get all zeros but when I attempt to run the job (still the coaster) the cutter doesn't quite get to the work and I get an "air cut".
I was able to cut the slots by increasing their depth such that the second pass did, in fact, cut the work.
BTW, run-out is about .004" which is pretty good for a HF trim router, I suppose.
So now I have the "scale" I need to get the sizes correct but this software issue is making me crazy!!!!

I have uninstalled and re installed to no avail. I have tried the Grbl Controller but it, too has issues (can't jog, says it's missing velocity parameters).
Tried a different computer (Windows 7 instead of 8.1) but Carbide won't run there for some reason and Grbl is still an issue on that machine.

Guess I'll go over to the software forum and see what I can find there.
Thanks for your patience and all your help Will.
Alex

cdninoh

Post by cdninoh » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:20 pm

UPDATE!
After a brief conversation with Apollo (carbide support), he was convinced that my problems were hardware based.
He send, and I have received a new board and it appears to have resolved all those crazy problems.
Stay tuned for more from me but for now;
YEA SHAPEOKO AND CARBIDE!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I made the right decision when I bought this machine.
Alex

XStroX

Post by XStroX » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:59 am

My Shapeoko 3 arrived this week! I'm going to put it together this weekend hopefully.

I've also bought wood to make an enclosure to help keep the noise down although I'll need to get some plexiglass for one side of the enclosure so I can still see what is going on.

I also bought a DeWalt DWP611 Trim Router.

The thing I'm still having trouble with though is finding the right collet and end mills to buy. I'd like to keep things as simple and cheap as possible at first and only buy what is needed to practice with wood. I'd like to start by cutting a college logo out of wood. Some cuts would be completely through while others would be only partially through (the details in the logo). From what I've read, getting a 1/8" collet looks to be expensive (I haven't seen anything under $70) so I'm wondering if someone can recommend some decent 1/4" shank bits I can use starting out for the above type of project.

I'm assume I need something that allows centercutitng, and has 2 or 3 flutes as a good compromise. It also sounds like carbide is the way to go but maybe that is too expensive if just starting out?

If someone can send me a link to what they recommend I buy it would be greatly appreciated. And if there is a cheaper 1/8" collet option that would be good to know as well.

Thanks,

Stro

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:36 am

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

XStroX

Post by XStroX » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Thanks WillAdams as the 1/8" Elaire collet is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still not positive what end mill to get. I'd like to get 1 or 2 1/8" and 1 or 2 1/4" end mills to start.

You linked to here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... mendations
However, the 1/8" end mill that says "best option for new users" is sold out. And I don't see a similar recommendation for a 1/4" end mill.
The 1/8" ball cutter is also sold out and again no 1/4" option.

Can someone recommend an an alternative to the above 2 in 1/4" and 1/8" sizes? Something of similar quality (carbide) and price (~$10/each) would be nice.

Thanks,

Stro

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13 am

Get at last two of any endmill. They're consumables.

I would suggest finding a local shop and buying from them --- I found one using Harvey Tools' find a distributor link.

Or, just buy a bunch from Drillman1 on eBay.

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 pm

If you let the CAD design and the generation of the toolpath, for a n00b like me, I found this to be very informative.

http://www.harveytool.com/secure/conten ... atalog.pdf

A catalogue? Well, yes, a butt load of end mill are listed with their picture and usage. Which one is center cut, down cut and sometimes for what material as well.

Now, I am not affiliated with them whatsoever. I bought most of my end mills from drillman1 on http://www.ebay.com/sch/drillman1/m.html.

Jeff
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:01 am

It was through Harvey tools find a dealer page that I found the local shop which provided me w/ a stack of catalogues, incl. a Harvey Tool catalogue which I found very informational, and through whom I ordered my favourite Garr Tools endmill.