Are you Happy with Quiet cut spindle ?

Talk about all things CNC
Webdirector

Are you Happy with Quiet cut spindle ?

Post by Webdirector » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:05 pm

Hello,

I have the 600Watt quiet cut spindel from inventables and I am not so happy with it.

When I cust 3mm soft plywood it is OK But if I try to cut a 6mm plywood with a 3,175carbide endmill (2 flut) and I have pass depth set to 0,5mm spindle speed at 13000 ( max of the quiet cut spindle) and feed rate of 300 mm/min

It takes like 13 passes to cut trough a 6mm plywood and you can hear it forcing at 3mm... when I see some of the speed and videos on Youtube at the speed some other people are cutting i am very jealous.

As said I think the end mill is good and my feed rate and cutting depths are not exagerated.

I am curious what other owners of the quiet cut spindel have to say .........

Are you happy with the quiet cut spindle ?

I think one of the major issues is speed the max RPM is 13000 and I belive I read to cut wood you should be atleast at 20000 RPM

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Are you Happy with Quiet cut spindle ?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:45 pm

FWIW, I'm kind of mystified by why someone in a country which makes Kress spindles would bother w/ something else.

I'd really like to have the option of the Nomad883 spindle, and I've been tempted by the idea of buying a Wolfgang Engineering spindle, but if Kress tools were less expensive here in the States, they'd be a top contender for my next spindle.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:17 pm

Those numbers can't be right?

you should be able to cut at over00mm/minute with a pass dept of around 1mm.

How are you controlling the spindle speed?
Have you verified the speed?

Can you record a short video of it cutting, or rather, trying to cut...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Something isn't right I think.

I can cut hardwood ply all day long with a 300w spindle with depth at 1-1.2mm and feeds of 1000-1200mm/min

Suggest verifying spindle speed as mentioned above and verifying that end mill is in good condition. Use a loupe if you have one or replace with new end mill.

fl0yd

Post by fl0yd » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:46 pm

DanMc wrote:Something isn't right I think.

I can cut hardwood ply all day long with a 300w spindle with depth at 1-1.2mm and feeds of 1000-1200mm/min

Suggest verifying spindle speed as mentioned above and verifying that end mill is in good condition. Use a loupe if you have one or replace with new end mill.
Also verify that it is rotating in the correct direction. I recall others on the forums who wired them up as one would assume the color coding would indicate for polarity, but were spinning CCW rather than CW. A piece of tape can help visualize the direction.

Fl0yd

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:39 pm

WillAdams wrote:FWIW, I'm kind of mystified by why someone in a country which makes Kress spindles would bother w/ something else.

I'd really like to have the option of the Nomad883 spindle, and I've been tempted by the idea of buying a Wolfgang Engineering spindle, but if Kress tools were less expensive here in the States, they'd be a top contender for my next spindle.
Kress spindles are nice, too bad they are hard to get and expensive here in the states. I used a small Proxxon IB/E router, which is similar to a dremel in size but a little stronger and better made in my old CNC. I eventually burned out the front bearings from cutting forces. I just need to order new bearings for it but I don't use that machine anymore and gave it to my brother.

I'm going to build something like this for a add on high speed spindle for my bench mill

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/890kv- ... indle.411/

Uses a ER collet adapter and a high RPM brushless motor. If you build it with decent bearings, it should perform very well

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:48 pm

fl0yd wrote: Also verify that it is rotating in the correct direction. I recall others on the forums who wired them up as one would assume the color coding would indicate for polarity, but were spinning CCW rather than CW. A piece of tape can help visualize the direction.
Good point. We do have a bit about that on the Spindles page on the wiki:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... s#Concerns
Rotation Direction --- Note that this is typically clockwise from the top of the machine.[4]
(link is to http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 06&p=35129 )
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Webdirector

Post by Webdirector » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello,

I would use a Kress but I was ( and am still) very concerned about noise. The problem with Europe is we tend to be very close to neighbors and noise can be an issue.

The Kress 1050 costs here in Germany 195€ or 210 USD

I am using the TinyG and inevntables speed controller and I measured the voltage to spindle and it is at about 46V.... I have no way of measuring the speed.

I will post a Video to show what I mean

Webdirector

Post by Webdirector » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Here the speed view :

Webdirector

Post by Webdirector » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Here it is with a brand new Carbide tipped Flute from Inventables