making money from shapeoko

Talk about all things CNC
atrueresistance

making money from shapeoko

Post by atrueresistance » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Hello all, I've been around for a while and have just posted stuff either created for myself or close friends. To date I've only made $20 off my modified SO1; it has been more of a hobby then business. I noticed while running last night the bearing in my DW660 is starting to go out. I'd like to cover the cost to replace with some work.

If some of you more experienced members could weigh in.

My question is how have some of the people here make some return off their Shapeoko?

How did you find clients?

How do you determine what to charge?

What happens if you mess up?
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: making money from shapeoko

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

secretspy711

Post by secretspy711 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:17 pm

I've made some money off mine cutting G10 quadcopter frames for an ag company that my friend works for. Determining what to charge was the most difficult part. I am leaning towards a model where most of the cost is based on job setup and material cost, instead of actual run time. While I can't exactly leave the house while its running, I can at least be doing something else, and listen for any hiccups, so run time isn't really fair... Though run time should factor in, if its a long complex job. I decide how much I want to get paid per hour for CAM and setup work, and keep track of my time for that and actual setup. Then maybe keep track of run time separately and charge something less for that if you want. Then add the cost of material, plus a little for cutter wear. Err on the high side.

That said, if you're doing a lot, its probably not the right machine for commercial work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 2 #5510: 1200 x 500 mm, Makita RT0701

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:33 pm

I use it to create coasters, earrings, engrave cutting boards. Mostly word of mouth and craft sales. I now now have one serious crafter that I supply acrylic blanks to. I base most of my pricing on Etsy prices or what I have in materials plus time dedicated to the cutting. I have found that trying to calculate the CAD costs is very difficult and for me not worth the time to calculate per piece. Now if I get a custom job then that will be figured in to the total. Take a look on Etsy and see the number of sellers of acrylic blankets. If you can undercut them by $0.05 then that is another option.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611