Material Holding - What is this Stuff?

Talk about all things CNC
Gadgetman!

Re: Material Holding - What is this Stuff?

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Got my sample pack today, but haven't tried to mess with it, yet.
Maybe this weekend.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:18 am

Found a bit of time to mess with the stuff last night...
(I'm using the red version, supposedly the strongest)

I tried to stick about a spoonful of the stuff to a piece of 8mm thick aluminium, and to stick that on top of a larger piece of 6mm aluminium.
(Imagine it as either complete alu wasteboard or a piece (semi)permanently fastened to a wooden wasteboard)

First, melting the wax is easy enough. A small saucepan or something, or just a ladle and propane torch will do the trick.
(Don't let flames hit the wax directly, it may 'char up' a bit)

Now, when applying the wax is when the problems may appear. Aluminium is a very, very good heat conductor, so pouring the wax on a cold piece will result in the wax solidifying almost instantly.
I solved this by pre-heating the metal with a hot-air gun...

It seems to stick together pretty well. I couldn't break the small piece(45x90mm) off the bigger one with my fingers. Even tried prying it off with a knife blade. (One of those 12mm wide that you break off bits off when they dull)

I then squirted it with WD40, let it sit for a few minutes and gave it another good squirt. It still held up to the blade.
Don't know how it'll act if there's a flood of WD40 over a longer period, though.

My plan is to take 8mm thick aluminium, or possibly even thicker, cut it in a sice that fits my projects, cut slots in it to fit 12V heating elements, and countersink holes in the corners to bolt it down on top of my wasteboard.

Maybe these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-12V-24V-30W ... 5672f3fc75

Yeah, 10mm is probably a better choice for the 'hot wasteboard'...
(A bit of a margin so that you can drill into the edge with a 6mm drill bit)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Xaracen

Post by Xaracen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks for that test Gadgetman.

I will go ahead and place an order for a one pound sample and see how I get on. No doubt it will be something of an interesting learning curve to figure out how to use it effectively.
Shapeoko v1 #????
500mm Y-slides with dual Y-steppers
375mm dual X-axis gantry
150W DC ER11 Sable2015 spindle
conductive probe via spindle shaft/toolbit (can probe while spinning!)
Arduino Uno running grbl v0.9i with grblShield v4.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:02 pm

I'm really surprised that it's necessary to order this stuff from overseas --- surely there are local machine shops which need it?

Maybe my perception is skewed living in a town named Mechanicsburg though....

On the gripping hand, this looks to be the supplier: http://www.paramelt.com/casting-wax-rig ... pound.aspx and they have a drop down in various languages --- perhaps there's a local distributor?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Joe_C

Post by Joe_C » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Mc Master Carr has machinable wax domestically. They have everything. It'll cost ya though.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#machinable-wax ... a2i94bnth3

Joe C

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:08 pm

McMaster do not ship outside the United States, except to select established customers. (Gadgetman's "domestically" is Norway.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Joe_C

Post by Joe_C » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:40 pm

cvoinescu wrote:McMaster do not ship outside the United States, except to select established customers. (Gadgetman's "domestically" is Norway.)
A bad assumption on my part.
-j-

Xaracen

Post by Xaracen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Hmmm... the paramelt site does have a UK address and a UK email contact, but the options for purchase don't appear to include samples, ordering is by pallet! Will email the contact and see if a sample is possible.
Shapeoko v1 #????
500mm Y-slides with dual Y-steppers
375mm dual X-axis gantry
150W DC ER11 Sable2015 spindle
conductive probe via spindle shaft/toolbit (can probe while spinning!)
Arduino Uno running grbl v0.9i with grblShield v4.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Fri May 01, 2015 12:59 am

I know the focus here is using the wax as a glue for workholding, but would someone mind trying to melt and cast it into a block and machine it to see how well it actually works as machining wax rather than glue?

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 am

Why?

Machinable wax is cheaper.
(A 1.5x2x3" block of machinable wax is $6.95, and is about what you'd get if you melted a 1lbs package of the fixing wax)
Also, you can MAKE machinable wax at home by melting paraffin wax(cheap candles...) and LDPE(many plastic shopping bags is made of this) together.

Or you could BUY the machinable wax from the same supplier...
Weird guy...