Profiler Perimeter after pocketing...

Talk about all things CNC
MeanderBolt

Profiler Perimeter after pocketing...

Post by MeanderBolt » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:16 am

I have found good results in pocketing nearly to my desired boundary, then running a .1mm - .2 mm profile on the edge. On wood, I have run the profile as both stepped layers and running the whole wall successfully. I want to run the whole wall on aluminum (6061) but am concerned that it might be too much. On the other hand, when I am milling aluminum, my passes are .1 - .2mm. So... being that this would be seeing the whole blade at once, would that be a better idea?

I guess the reason I am asking is that I am trying to shave some time off of some stuff I am working on, and this looks like a logical place to do so. One or two laps around a pocket would surely be much faster than say 20 - 30.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Georgei

Re: Profiler Perimeter after pocketing...

Post by Georgei » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:08 am

Depends on how thick is the aluminium and the cutter.

I have try to do finishing profiling on the wall of a 20mm pocket with 1/8" long cutter and the cutter was bending and giving a sloped chattered edge.

I have try the same thing with a 10mm cutter, full height (20mm), 0.1mm of the pocket, conventional cutting and was really nice.

If your aluminium is not thick (3-4 mm) the 1/8mm will do the job.

But generally speaking the best finish was with multi pass, 0.5mm cutting depth on each pass with 0.1mm cutting from the pocket.

George

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:10 pm

When I cut aluminium, I use a similar strategy. I cut a 'roughing pass' around the part leaving 0.1mm-0.2mm of material to be removed as a 'finishing cut'.
For the finish cut, I will increase the cut depth and lower the feed rate to attempt to obtain a better finish.
As you, I take 0.1mm - 0.2mm cut depths normally, for slot style cutting, but when you only have such a small piece of material to remove, you can really increase the depth of cut significantly. I tend to step down in 2mm steps for the finishing. Just watch out for tabs, as the plunge on the back face can get a bit hard on everything if you are using CamBam!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Hey Rob,
I am using CamBam. Fortunately, in a pocket there shouldn't be any tabs, so I am good there, but good point none the less. 2mm sounds far better than .1 or .2 to me. Excellent.

Georgei, what spindle are you using? When you say that your cutter was 1/8 long, do you mean 1/8 mill as in .125 wide cut, or are you saying that the cutting length is only 1/8 high?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Georgei

Post by Georgei » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Ups, I did mean 1/8" in diameter.

The spindle is a Bosch POF500.

Sorry for the confusion.