Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Talk about all things CNC
edwardrford

Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by edwardrford » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:44 pm

After much ado, we've started looking into the expansion packs (as promised) and are laying out a tentative schedule to get expansion packs available by the end of summer / early fall. Which, where I live roughly equates to September/October.

To get us started, during the last extrusion order, i had them send a couple of pieces cut down to about 5.5ft. Here they are in the crate
s3ep_crate1.jpg
s3ep_crate1.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
And here it is, cracked open, in all it's glory. I had forgotten how shiny the extrusions are before they get annodized.
s3ep_crate2.jpg
s3ep_crate2.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 8184 times

Here's a shot compared to the stock length:
s3ep_compare.jpg
s3ep_compare.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
These are the only extrusions we have beyond the stock size, so they're worth their weight in gold right now. As time allows we'll start working them into R&D to find out what the packages will consist of. Currently, we're thinking an X expansion pack, a Y expansion pack, and a full kit.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by WillAdams » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Very, very, very cool. It’ll keep you out of trouble when you’re not packing machines (for which I hope you’re able to hire an assistant in the near future).

I’d love to help w/ testing out an X-axis upgrade (need to keep my machine portable to carry it outside to cut nasty stuff). You could just let me know when you next place an order and I could pick up a length at the plant....

Hope the machine survey which we did provides some useful data: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5652
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Defy

Post by Defy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:17 am

2 please to start ;) plenty enough to do guitar necks and other cool things.

TomO

Post by TomO » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 pm

That's exactly what I will need - will the kits be available for pre order or will they not go on sale until they are ready to ship? Can I call dibs on full kit #1?? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Man, now I'm all excited. I can't decide if I should build my torsion table to suit the current size or make it larger to fit the new extrusions!
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:00 pm

I suspect you're going to have to do it twice.

5.5 feet is just a test length --- we don't know what lengths the kits will be in, and moreover, it won't accommodate the 8' length of plywood 8 people want (but a pair of kits, each 5.5' would make about half the people happy).

Lessee, if we did 2 kits as Edward mentioned:

X+ - X-axis 5.5' --- this would be a single rail, new front and back plates, a new cross strap, additional straps, and would let people build an open ~4' x 16" machine
Y+ - Y-axis 5.5' --- a pair of rails, two new edge straps, new center strap and would let people build a more rigid ~4' x 16" machine

X+Y+ 5.5' kits combined --- 3 new rails, new front and back plates (from X+), new cross strap (from X+), two new edge straps (Y+), new center strap (Y+) and one would need additional, longer straps (unique to this kit? same as edge or center straps from Y+?)

which I believe is what Edward described before (any errors are my introduction).

The cool thing is we'd then just need one additional upgrade kit, Y++ (~9.5'?) which would just be:

- pair of rails
- 2 new edge straps
- new center strap

and new additional even longer straps

Very, very cool that w/ just 3 kits (and a few additional lengths of straps?) we can get up to a 4' x 8' machine and accommodate pretty much everyone.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:10 pm

It would also be cool if it was possible to just buy the longer rails without all the straps.

I plan on bolting the end plates right to the torsion table and not using the straps.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:22 pm

AIUI, the expensive part of the kits will be the rails and the shipping --- I think the steel strapping (at least the flat ones) will be a minor portion of the cost --- probably negligible enough to not justify selling the rails separately.

Another consideration is that it should be possible to design the packaging so that the strapping is used to protect the V-rails --- take them out and one would then need to add packaging material to make up for it.

Ideally we'd be able to design a single box which would hold either kit --- if the Y-axis kit is packed, then one would leave out the new front / back plates _and replace them_ w/ cardboard spacers which would take their place and provide (some) of the protection which the angled steel would have.

William

(who used to work in packaging and is having flashbacks to navigating a floor covered in unfolded cardboard boxes)

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Dang. That. Is. Huge.

I'm not sure if a 9' length for an 8'x machine would be feasible. Doing a quick check it looks like Fedex Home delivery has a 108" length limit and a 70lb weight limit. Just on the edge of what's possible. Also, I don't think beam will perform that well at 9'. It'll work, but it'll start to act like a long noodle. Just like how the SO2/Xcarve Makerslides do that at 1m or greater.

Overall, I'm not worried about having only a 5'x5' to do half sheets. You can easily machine in locating features into the workpiece that key into precision pins on the machine table. Do one operation. Slide sheet. Re-position with the pins. Do the second operation on the remainder. It's an extra step, but if the machine is setup well, it should be pretty accurate.

EDIT: I'll eat my words. After thinking about it, 8' should work fine, if it's on the Y-axis with two beams. You'll likely need supports along the length to help keep it rigid.
Last edited by chamnit on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:11 pm

@twforeman : I think you're right about attaching it directly to a torsion table (I never understood why it's called a torsion box. Makes absolutely no sense in engineering terms. Should be called hollow-core). If you have a machine that large, you need a base that is equivalent in stiffness so the machine doesn't rack, vibrate, stays level, and shift a lot with humidity.. Just thinking about it is making me leery how much it'll cost just to build myself a proper base for this. :shock: