Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Talk about all things CNC
edwardrford

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by edwardrford » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:01 am

Hi All,

Last night I think we finally worked out how the big machine is going to look / go together. Now it's time to work backwards into the wider and longer machines. Earlier today I sent out a few files to get laser cut. If all goes well I should have the first prototype done once those get delivered. Until then, I'm afraid there's not much else to report.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:08 am

Raising the Z-axis doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar. The one thing one could do would be to do as we used to on the SO2 and swap the parts around so that the MDF is at the bottom --- you'd still need a spoilboard though, and I don't know that it would net one a great deal of usable room, but it would at least avoid the loss of a second spoilboard on top of the first (which is where I'm at w/ mine).

Using the Nomad spindle has been said no to (there should be a link on the wiki) --- my suggestion would be to use the Wolfgang Engineering spindle instead, or a Kress or an Ugra --- I've been quite pleased w/ my Makita thus far though (and I've even managed to avoid the temptation to get the MLCS Rocky 30 so as to be colour-coordinated).

Good to hear about the design and laser cutting.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:07 am

Thank You both, very, very much...

I've never been so excited as I have been, learning all of the things within the Maker community. As a 39 year old Veteran with learning disabilities... I can say with great ease that accessing information on YouTube, and applying it to the technology made available by pioneers such as the guys at Shapeoko have given me both an awareness that I have been starved for knowledge, and a new lease on life because of it.

I feel truly grateful.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:16 am

Another consideration is that the useful range of Z-axis travel is limited by the feasible dimensions of an endmill. The 3" Garr Tools endmills which like to use only have a 1" cutting length.

On the gripping hand, the spindle overhanging the front of the machine allows one to cut stock of almost arbitrary dimensions see http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php? ... inery_Vice for a nifty clamp setup to take advantage of this.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:24 am

WillAdams wrote:On the gripping hand...
On the internet, nobody knows your a dog. Or an alien.

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:54 pm

WillAdams wrote:On the gripping hand, the spindle overhanging the front of the machine allows one to cut stock of almost arbitrary dimensions see http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php? ... inery_Vice for a nifty clamp setup to take advantage of this.
I love this idea of making joinery with a CNC machine. This vice is a great solution. I've been playing around with the idea of turning my old ShapeOko2 into a horizontal mill that's dedicated to making complex joinery. It'd be horizontal so you can make tenons and such on long boards and panels.
WillAdams wrote:Raising the Z-axis doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar. The one thing one could do would be to do as we used to on the SO2 and swap the parts around so that the MDF is at the bottom --- you'd still need a spoilboard though, and I don't know that it would net one a great deal of usable room, but it would at least avoid the loss of a second spoilboard on top of the first (which is where I'm at w/ mine).
With making the Z-axis travel longer, there's an issue with increased twisting loads on the gantry and losing stiffness. Double the z-axis travel, double the twisting. In general, gantry-style CNC machines don't have a very large Z-axis travel because they aren't designed for this. They emphasize a large X-Y work envelope.

TomO

Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by TomO » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Has anyone put much thought into the table they plan to build for their large so3? I'm thinking either a steel frame with a wood top or a torsion box table. Either way I'm going to want it mobile and to have storage underneath (maybe drawers & cabinets for bits and tools). I'm also trying to decide if I will build it with an area for my computer or if I will keep them separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by TomO on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 pm

See this post (http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 790#p53191). For a large machine, it's critical to have a flat and stiff tabletop. On the SO3, the 3/4" MDF serves this purpose, but with larger work areas, the MDF is not stiff enough. I'd build something like Norm's work table as the table top and add whatever to the base. The base doesn't matter as much, since the "torsion box" is providing all of the stiffness.

I'll be building table like Norm's soon, but will be putting in a lower shelf for extra shop storage and designing a different rolling system.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:27 pm

I will be building an MDF torsion box table and removing the waste board from my S3. I plan on removing all the cross bars and flipping the end plates 180 degrees. I'll mount the end plates on two or three MDF strips to get more height under the gantry. Not more Z travel, just more clearance.

There will be tee-nuts embedded in the table top on 3" centers.

This is pretty much what I did with my S1 and it works great for the things I'm making.

Pretty much this, but with the addition of a torsion box: http://timf.anansi-web.com/wp/base-for-the-shapeoko/
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:33 am

chamnit wrote:See this post (http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 790#p53191). For a large machine, it's critical to have a flat and stiff tabletop. On the SO3, the 3/4" MDF serves this purpose, but with larger work areas, the MDF is not stiff enough. I'd build something like Norm's work table as the table top and add whatever to the base. The base doesn't matter as much, since the "torsion box" is providing all of the stiffness.

I'll be building table like Norm's soon, but will be putting in a lower shelf for extra shop storage and designing a different rolling system.
Watching that video (like a torsion box, but members only running one way, and using 1/4" ply as the top and bottom skin) I was a little skeptical that you'd get good stiffness. But if I understand correctly, you do structural aerospace engineering, so I'm thinking you know what you're talking about!

As usual, to make a particular jig, it would be helpful to have one of that particular jig! (To make a flat table, it's helpful to have a flat table to build it on...) Nothing that can't be worked around.