Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Talk about all things CNC
grep

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by grep » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 pm

I've heard there is big chances there will be a 2x4... ;)

eefits

Post by eefits » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:43 am

Sure hope it is true.

Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:56 am

I sure hope that they bridge these information gaps soon.

WoodNDust

Post by WoodNDust » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Sekrit_skworl wrote:I sure hope that they bridge these information gaps soon.
You bring up a very good point. Managing information is so important. When I look at Glowforge or X-Carve, the amount of information is almost astounding. I think finding ways to encourage higher traffic through a site is important, along with encouraging the development and growth of a community around the site/product/brand.

grep

Post by grep » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:06 pm

yeah it's not like we want to rush but just know a bit where it's at in the process. ;)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50 pm

What information do you want, which exists, which is not in the wiki?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Sekrit_skworl

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:35 am

Speaking only for myself, I would like to know information on updates for the 4' x 4' build area more frequently. To specify, more frequent information about "targeted timelines" between what is in development and final production aims. So, in essense:

Below is regarding 4' x 4' work area:

1.) Is there a target-deadline set for a releasable expanded system?

2.) When is the targeted deadline date for completion of a releasable product?

3.) Where is the team at in development?

4.) Are there any delays/snags which would affect the deadline?

5.) Will the longer extrusions be made available for those who want to customize their expanded size (longer X or Y Axis)?

6.) Is there any possibility that the Carbide 3D Spindle may be made modified to also have as an option?

Those are my 6 questions, and having answers to them would place me in a much better position to not only decide upon a course of action for now... but to be less prone to chomp at the bit until we near the dates shared. :-D

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:14 am

From the wiki:
Customization
What lengths will the custom extrusions come in?[40] Unofficial poll
Will it be possible to customize a kit, replacing standard extrusion sizes w/ other lengths?[41]
when will upgrades be available --- September--October[42] R&D News!
estimates on price and shipping: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =80#p54972

Will the spindle from Carbide3D's Nomad883 be available separately?[51] --- The spindle can not be ordered separately. It's designed specifically for the nomad and includes the spindle body, brushless dc motor, and custom motor driver that's tied into grbl to control via gcode.[52]
See the page for links:
http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... #Questions

FWIW, I find the information on the Glowforge and X-Carve incredible as well, but w/ quite a different emphasis, basic things such as safety considerations, replacement part estimates and part lifespan, &c.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

James RS

Post by James RS » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 pm

I find the wiki to be confusing and not really searchable for the Shapeoko 3. I wish they'd just update on the forum even create a thread just for the Expansion update, disable comments on it. Let those be asked here

Sekrit_skworl

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:36 pm

I appreciate the info on the spindle... I wanted to check in case of any reconsideration.

However, as the expansion focus did not really spin up until last month, the September - October window hardly seems realistically feasible to us. I would quote the post, but don't currently have time to find it.

But (in summation) the Sep - Oct deadline was put out back around June - July. As Mr Ford shared that they were just focusing their efforts in early September, it invalidates the wiki (regarding expansion) due to inference, all valid updates since then have been on the forum.

I actually responded with those question believing that you may either work for or be a designated tester with updated information. Any current links are out of date, therefore if anyone currently working on the project could respond to those questions, it would be of tremendous help.
Last edited by Sekrit_skworl on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.