Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Talk about all things CNC
Defy

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by Defy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 am

I think in the mean time while I wait for the official expansion kit I am going to build me some new Y rails out of openrail linear rail an some 80mm extrusion. In the y axis I think I can put in some braces and it would be plenty sturdy. I would probably have to drill some extra holes in the mounts and maybe fashion a bracket or two. We'll see, I haven't had the need for bigger but I am building a amp cab and it's going to be 2x12 and it would be nice to be able to cut the 12inch holes on my machine without having to cut a hole then unmount recenter and slide the piece.

pipo3060

Post by pipo3060 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Hello guys,
Just wondering if you have any dates and info for the 2x4 expansion pack. do you think it will be available before Christmas ? I can't wait to buy one.
thanks

Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:13 pm

UGGGGHHH... :-/

grep

Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by grep » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:01 pm

@sekrit_skworl When your F5 key has become a pile of sharp broken plastics pieces :D

Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:12 pm

grep wrote:@sekrit_skworl When your F5 key has become a pile of sharp broken plastics pieces :D

LOL...

My F5 key is amidst the ruins of a tiny mushroom cloud which used to be a keyboard...

Alas, I have still managed to present an update regarding the matter of which you have inquired. :-P

FabricatorCraig

Post by FabricatorCraig » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:58 pm

I realize most people probably are aware of this and we're having a bit of F5 humor due to the lack of responses, but I just would like to share that you can subscribe to threads and be automatically notified if anyone has provided additional information to any particular topic thread.

Simply view the thread of interest, scroll to the bottom of any page in that thread and find three links:

Board index * Subscribe topic * Bookmark topic

Simply click on the middle link "Subscribe topic" and you will automatically receive an email the second someone adds a response to the thread. You only get one email notification UNTIL you click the link in that email which will take you directly to the FIRST UNREAD posting. At that point, the subscription resets and will again notify you the NEXT TIME someone adds to the conversation. It is quite handy...I have about a dozen threads I keep tabs on and I never have to go browsing around the forum, remembering threads I am interested in, or hitting F5 to refresh.

Once you are subscribed to a thread, you can always turn it back off by going back to those three links I mentioned. The middle one will now say "Unsubscribe topic"...

Hope that saves at least one person some time. :-)
-----------------Craig The Fabricator-----------------
SO1 - (1) Red Powder-Coat & (1) Non-Painted Steel
SO2 - (2) w/ lots of I.C. & other upgrades
SO3 - Serial #447

Jexoteric

Post by Jexoteric » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Any update on these? We're well past the dates that had been put out there originally, and shipping is (or was, not sure about the present moment) all caught up. I would really like to make my machine larger for my next project.

grep

Post by grep » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:10 pm

A friend of mine who emailed them got an answer like they might be available around february. This info made me buy the small one, so i dońt wait a couple months before getting things done.

kazuma

Post by kazuma » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Any updates about the expansion kit?

Baremeg55

Post by Baremeg55 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:58 am

kazuma wrote:Any updates about the expansion kit?
I think many people would like to see regularly scheduled updates posted for the expansion packs. Same applies (for me) on the Z axis prototype.

I initially purchased the SO3 for several justifiable reasons. I wanted to get an understanding of how to assemble and the mechanical workings of the CNC unit. Secondly, determine how easy or difficult I would find using the software to design and build some projects. VCarve Desktop proved realitively easy to get up and running, so I'm pass those hurdles....

I've quickly realized over the past few months the SO3 has too small of a work area for the projects I want to CNC, too small on all axis. Now I'm undecided if I want to continue to wait for a pending announcement, and wait again for shipping / cost details, or take the plunge and build the CNCRouterparts Pro4848 CNC. This of course would prove to be an expenditure way in excess of what the SO3 cost, but does offer ready to build 4x4 foot work area, and when/if I want or need a larger machine, those components exists. I guess I should also state some of my motivation for moving to the Pro4848 is I gain that much needed Z axis travel/work height, which the expansion pack will not provide.

I do thoroughly enjoy using my SO3 though!