Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Talk about all things CNC
jbc

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by jbc » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Is there a list of the projects you're working on or will you wait to rollout the news when the new items/kits/whatever are available?

jbc
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup
http://www.CaffeineMachine.com

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:13 pm

edwardrford wrote:The expansion packs are important to us too. We've been working hard on fulfilling the backorder, and getting the supply chain stuff in line so we can get in stock and stay there. Once that happens, everything gets a little easier here.

Stick with us, we're not going to let this go to the back burner. It's something that we're excited about and want to get done as soon as we can without being neglectful of the other project's we've been working on.
Edward- While you are scaling up in the mean time, keep in mind that availability of a larger machine might offset/reduce the order quantities for the "small" machine. So you might not actually need to build up so much production capacity or maintain that line at the current rate in the future. ;)

You might also think about strategy and priorities in the big picture. Over at Inventables, they've stated publicly several times that the larger X-Carve is substantially outselling the smaller one. You may be swamped with a backlog of orders right now, but you're also missing out on a huge market that you don't have a product for. :|. Anyone who wants a larger machine currently has no choice but to buy something else.

(This is coming from someone who almost bought an X-Carve, but has been waiting ~5 months for a larger Shapeoko 3 instead. ;) )

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:57 am

The 'expansion pack' project is deceiving in it's simplicity. I think that what ends up being released is going to be a shocker for anyone who's been following along.

On a related note - I started a build log of the 4x4 machine: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6949

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:24 am

Awesome. Thanks for the updates! 8-)

Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:52 pm

We lost 5'?

Jesus... If it drops below 4' (hopefully work area of at least 3'6"), then it won't even be qualified for my needs anymore.

Please do keep us posted on the build log. Because it's not just a matter of bigger, it is truly a matter of whether to wait for it based on its abilities to meet our project needs.

Thank You

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Sekrit_skworl wrote:We lost 5'?
No. 4'x4' just means the work area available. The machine needs to be about 5'x5' to accommodate that.

Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:59 am

Thanks, Chamnit!
:-D

I felt my heart fibrillating at the prospect. LOL

I wonder if they have an End of Project deadline date on their calendar to get this finished and out for us. :-)

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Sekrit_skworl wrote:I wonder if they have an End of Project deadline date on their calendar to get this finished and out for us. :-)
Just before the release of the S4. :twisted:
Shapeoko 3 #516

James RS

Post by James RS » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes, I'd like to expand as I just got a offer to make some signs for a place. But need a larger area

WoodNDust

Post by WoodNDust » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:40 am

Well, I emailed sales at Shapeoko back in May and then followed up with Rob at Shapeoko on September 30. Here's what I wrote:

Rob,

Thanks for getting back ​to me. I intentionally waited some months and have been monitoring the Shapeoko forums/site for releases related to increasing the length of the work area. Is there anything you can tell me about the status of the longer rails? Also, will waiting to order the Shapeoko 3 with the longer rails save money over ordering the current size and upgrading later?

Thanks.

Here's the reply:

Hey-

Ed and I were just going over that project. We've got the rails and the sheet metal to begin the final prototype- he's working on it right now.

It's looking like a new kit of the 4x4' machine will be about $2500 (don't hold me to that). I'd told a number of people that our best bet on an upgrade kit would be about $1000 so we'll probably offer a discount code on the upgrade to people who already own a machine (for a limited time). I'm not sure how the net difference in cost will end up.

Shipping on the 4x4' will probably be several hundred dollars because of the size and weight. We're not sure if it'll have to ship freight or if we can ship it via UPS/Fedex.

-Rob

--
Rob Grzesek
sales@carbide3d.com