Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Talk about all things CNC
Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Expansion Packs

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:01 am

DUDE!!!!
DUDE!!!

Awesome update! Numbers! Real and comprehensible estimates to budget for!

THANK YOU!!!

TomO

Post by TomO » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:33 am

WoodNDust wrote:Well, I emailed sales at Shapeoko back in May and then followed up with Rob at Shapeoko on September 30. Here's what I wrote:

Rob,

Thanks for getting back ​to me. I intentionally waited some months and have been monitoring the Shapeoko forums/site for releases related to increasing the length of the work area. Is there anything you can tell me about the status of the longer rails? Also, will waiting to order the Shapeoko 3 with the longer rails save money over ordering the current size and upgrading later?

Thanks.

Here's the reply:

Hey-

Ed and I were just going over that project. We've got the rails and the sheet metal to begin the final prototype- he's working on it right now.

It's looking like a new kit of the 4x4' machine will be about $2500 (don't hold me to that). I'd told a number of people that our best bet on an upgrade kit would be about $1000 so we'll probably offer a discount code on the upgrade to people who already own a machine (for a limited time). I'm not sure how the net difference in cost will end up.

Shipping on the 4x4' will probably be several hundred dollars because of the size and weight. We're not sure if it'll have to ship freight or if we can ship it via UPS/Fedex.

-Rob

--
Rob Grzesek
sales@carbide3d.com

Great info - thanks for sharing.

If shipping ends up being several hundred dollars I hope picking the kit up is an option - most likely the 5hr trip will be worth the savings.

I wonder if carbide will offer a buy back/trade in for the standard rails & frame. Once I have the longer rails I will have no use for the standard ones & it seems like they could sell them with another kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodNDust

Post by WoodNDust » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:45 am

Sekrit_skworl wrote:DUDE!!!!
DUDE!!!

Awesome update! Numbers! Real and comprehensible estimates to budget for!

THANK YOU!!!
Your welcome! Expanding the table size is a big deal. I hope this all works out for everyone. Meanwhile, I'll keep sharing as I know more and others will also.

WoodNDust

Post by WoodNDust » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:47 am

TomO wrote:

Great info - thanks for sharing.

If shipping ends up being several hundred dollars I hope picking the kit up is an option - most likely the 5hr trip will be worth the savings.

I wonder if carbide will offer a buy back/trade in for the standard rails & frame. Once I have the longer rails I will have no use for the standard ones & it seems like they could sell them with another kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your welcome!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:35 am

Easiest way to do that would be to design the packaging so that a portion of it could be re-purposed to ship rails back.

Then, the old rails could be used for replacement of damaged rails, or, if a sufficient quantity builds up, for a special run of refurbished machines to either sell at a discount, or to donate to school systems and non-profits.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Given that it isn't just the aluminum rails, but also the frame and the base MDF, isn't there a market of owners of older Shapeokos (and similar) who want to buy these parts to upgrade their existing units?

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:38 pm

There is no upgrade path between the S1 and S2 to get to an S3.

The only parts that are the same are the V wheels. Pretty much anyway.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Yeah, to some degree, it probably makes more sense to sell the SO3 and to buy a new machine --- the number of left-over parts after an upgrade is sobering:

- front/back plates (unless only extending in the Y-direction)
- straps
- rail(s)

It would be nice if Carbide3D could start to sell individual parts once the upgrades roll out --- I'd still like to see a program where replaced parts could be returned for credit (or a tax write-off?) so that they could be used to build machines for non-profit groups.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Sekrit_skworl
Location: Milky_Way/Earth/North_America/%&^l%/Phantom_Grid_Op/Operator-SkSk6

Post by Sekrit_skworl » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:53 pm

This is actually GREAT dialogue.

I am hoping that this will give rise to the probability of the SO4/Future models to begin with the large scale builds first (especially since the small scale consumers will already have options available through the pre-made enclosed products readily available for sale.)

After the large builds are established, then perhaps those who want to tinker will be able to have a small build designed for them (as the immediate large and small build demands will primarily already be satisfied)...

...But, at that point getting a Carbide 3D spindle as an add in option would likely be much more appealing than satisfying more build size options. :-D

GoSpeedRacer

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:30 pm

My personal preference is to lengthen just one axis- and I'm not picky. The material I cut is usually 12x24, up to 16x36. I was hoping to buy just the needed extrusion and do the rest myself. Sounds like I might be quite limited by the price tho:-(