Hall effect sensors

Talk about all things CNC
calebv2

Hall effect sensors

Post by calebv2 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:33 am

This is a demo showing some custom hall effect sensors I had made for me. The creator would like to sell more of these. I put a link in the video description to his video just give him a shout. These work with grbl and tiny g.

https://youtu.be/F3XpLWkOgSw

PsyKo

Re: Hall effect sensors

Post by PsyKo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 am

Hello,

Do you have any measured precision and repeatability for those ?

Thanks,
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

Omiccioli

Post by Omiccioli » Tue May 05, 2015 5:26 pm

psyKo,

I have not measured the tolerances because I don't have measuring tools that can measure the fine of a tolerance that the Hall sensor offers. Temperature, magnet strength and voltage will effect the positioning. However the sensitivity of the sensor is measured in Gauss in this case it takes about 75 to trip the sensor and 35 to release the sensor. In any case these distances are going to be very small. I etch circuits and use the homing process between etching and drilling and find that precision is solid.

Hope this helps.

The hall sensor part number is Honeywell SS441R

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Tue May 05, 2015 9:01 pm

how many wires/connections coming off the board? 2 or 3? typically with a Hall switch there are 3: VCC, Signal and GND. I have seen one set up that had 4 though.

Voltage req/max? 3.3v or 5v?
nice video and set up by the way.

You sell them as a kit to solder with all the parts/instructions or only assembled?
Shapeoko 3 #304

Omiccioli

Post by Omiccioli » Tue May 05, 2015 10:51 pm

There are three wires vcc, gnd and a signal wire. I developed these to run on a Tiny-G. The Tiny-G limit ports are 3.3v so I geared them to that voltage. The sensors are rated for higher voltage but the LEDs have low resistors so they are easy to see.

I have been building them and sell then assembled and tested. I see the $40.00 for three and $75 for 6 plush shipping (USPS) so about $5.00. If your interested let me know and I will order the parts and get them out to you quickly.

Attached is a picture of what you will get. The signal wire may not be yellow. All you will need to do is extend the wire (comes with about 6 inches) and get some rare earth magnets. I would keep them small, if you get big ones you loose travel space because they will trip sooner.

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Wed May 06, 2015 7:40 am

I also used to have hall effect sensor (http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1285) but I'm now using simple switch. I plan on moving back to Hall Effect sensor.

I was using SS443A chip .I didn't find the difference between the SS441 and SS443. Any clue ?

The picture in your previous post doesn't appear.
Would it be possible to have the diagramm of your board ?
Do you provide any housing or so ?

I'm interested but the shipping cost will be too high (living in France)

Thanks
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed May 06, 2015 7:55 am

PsyKo wrote:I was using SS443A chip .I didn't find the difference between the SS441 and SS443. Any clue ?
According to the datasheet, they just have different sensitivities. I guess you could calculate exactly the right model to use for the distance you wanted to use as a threshold, but it seems much easier to just pick one at random and tweak the size and position of the magnets instead.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Omiccioli

Post by Omiccioli » Wed May 06, 2015 11:25 am

PsyKo,

The differences in the chip are basically sensitivity and some environmental (power, temp etc..). All of these are so small that for use on a ShapeOko will be irrelevant because their tolerances are likely to be much tighter than the Stepper and Belts of the Shapeoko. The only reason to choose one over the other is to control the distance the magnet gets to the sensor. I chose the more sensitive one because at high speeds I wanted to be sure the movement stopped in time. Even in that situation I never go above 1000mm sec so either is likely to be fine. As CastIrony said it really doesn't matter they will both work.

I did not make an enclosure because I did not see the need. All the enclosure will do is take up more space. Since the circuit is so small and dust is not an issue I decided for simplicity. I might try my hand at an SMD version. If I get it small enough and can actually assemble one I might try an enclosure. But there again not really needed.

I did a quick check on shipping and I think I can get it to you for about $17.00 USD. I can use a small padded envelope and keep the weight and size as low as possible.

Omiccioli

Post by Omiccioli » Wed May 06, 2015 11:36 am

I created a smaller picture of the sensor so you can see it.
Attachments
Sensors.png
Hall Sensor
Sensors.png (80.66 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

calebv2

Post by calebv2 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 am

I don't know if anyone noticed butnin the video I ran the machine at 5000mm into the limit sensor and the sensor stopped it in its tracks. So I say that's pretty dang Good.