Connect standard arduino Uno to Carbide Motion

Talk about all things CNC
HarryT

Connect standard arduino Uno to Carbide Motion

Post by HarryT » Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 pm

In the time till my SO3 will arrive I want to play a little bit with the Carbide Motion SW, so that I as Newby can start fast after delivery.

Therefore I took an Arduino Uno and stored the carbide .hex file on it. With a serial monitor I can see that the SW runs (It sends "CarbideMotion 0.9g"). I also can see a Nomad 883 (COM3) as seriell port. This is set to 115200Bd.

But when I now start Carbide Motion 2.0.314 I just get the message "Grbl error". In the L-window I also get no information just "Test Waiting...".

What might be wrong?

Thx in advance
Harald
Shapeoko 3 # 610
under construction

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Connect standard arduino Uno to Carbide Motion

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 12, 2015 4:16 pm

It’s my understanding that the Carbide Motion version of Grbl has some compile options turned on to support the features of the Nomad (and Shapeoko 3?) and so can’t run on boards which lack those features.

Rather than worry about a specific sender, my suggestion would be to do a full on simulation using the nifty GrblGru software (link on the main page of the wiki).

Sending the G-code is a tiny part of the workflow and w/ Carbide Motion Machine Control Software ``just works'' (for the most part) so not something to worry about or test in advance.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

HarryT

Post by HarryT » Tue May 12, 2015 4:22 pm

>It’s my understanding that the Carbide Motion version of Grbl has some compile options turned on to support the features of the >Nomad (and Shapeoko 3?) and so can’t run on boards which lack those features.

I see, but therefore I took the precompiled grbl.hex file from the Carbide homepage which IMHO does have theese compile options and so on. Is this wrong?
Shapeoko 3 # 610
under construction

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 12, 2015 4:24 pm

I dunno.

While I really like Carbide Motion (the jogging support in particular is way cool), I don't have a machine suited for running it, so am trying to use bCNC instead.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue May 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Carbide motion has unique USB identifier vid/pid i guess which is why uno can't connect
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)