Any recommendations for a 3D Printer or 3D Printer Kit?

Talk about all things CNC
kristenanne77

Any recommendations for a 3D Printer or 3D Printer Kit?

Post by kristenanne77 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 am

Thinking about getting a 3D printer for my son. Preferably a decent kit that can teach him how to build one, but not too difficult (or too expensive). Or is it better to get one already made? I know they are coming down in price.
I know a lot of you shape-oko-lites dabble with the 3d print world so looking for some advice on whats out there these days. Pros and Cons etc.

Thanks
K

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Any recommendations for a 3D Printer or 3D Printer Kit?

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:15 am

What I learned, I put on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/3D_Printing

while doing the conversion was an interesting technical exercise, a purpose-built printer is much more convenient.

Twforeman wrote extensively about a Good deal on a 3D Printer here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5481

The printrbot simple metal is often suggested as the kit to get on reddit, though now they have the play which looks quite interesting.

I’ve been meaning to build a Tantillus and write about it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

DRobs86

Post by DRobs86 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:41 am

I have a Prusa i3 that I pieced together based on the BOM on the reprap wiki. I bought an aluminum frame and a direct drive extruder and got everything I needed for under 400 all shipped. Folger Tech sells an i3 for something like 319 or 329 (don't quote me on that) before shipping. It's an acrylic frame and kind of the base version of every component, but people that get it built seem pleased for the money.

I went with ABS plastic pieces. Get a quality set - lots of folks are printing plastic kits and some are trash that will cause you trouble on the build and during operation. If you do get a direct drive extruder be advised that your plastic kits are going to come most likely with a Greg's Wade's extruder (I think) so you are going to have to come up with a solution to mount the extruder motor to the x carriage until you can print one from Thingiverse.

I do recommend building one. If you and your son are mechanically inclined you will learn quite a bit about machines in general. I went from being scared to buy a printer kit, to watching videos, building the prusa, and then designing and building my own large (kinda) CNC machine a few months later. I got a lot of that from just researching how printers were built, watching dozens of videos on printing, and then building the prusa.

Defy

Post by Defy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:52 am

I am a printrbot fan. Build a few bought a few. I currently have a metal and i am building a lulzbot taz with printrbot electronics. ImageImage

The original reason i bought the shapeoko was to mill some plates for my taz. The nice thing about 3D printing is there is so much stuff out there to print. The cnc world needs a thingiverse loaded with svg's!

DRobs86

Post by DRobs86 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:25 am

Off topic a bit... but we also need a cnc version of 3d hubs. (Or is there one?).

Back on topic. Nice looking printer.

Kristen... what size print area are you looking for? I have about 7.75 squared by 7 high and have rarely found something that I wanted to print but couldn't. Some are bigger and some are smaller... just think about what you need and what you don't.

Also I strongly suggest a heated bed. Abs is essentially impossible without one and pla will be easier with it.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:55 am

DRobs86 wrote:Off topic a bit... but we also need a cnc version of 3d hubs. (Or is there one?).
http://100kgarages.com/ ?

Oriented towards Shopbots AIUI.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Interesting that you should ask. I don't know your level of experience, but I have a Prusa i3 rework I would be willing to part with. It has an Autolift nozzle on it and have an E3D V5 that would go with. There are two heated plates sandwiched under the aluminum bed so it can go from room temp to printing temp in about 10 minutes. I also have a almost full role of blue ABS and some samples I would send with. The tower structure that makes up Z axis is the aluminum plate version, not wood or acrylic. There is also an external relay setup, so power for heat doesn't run through the RAMPs board.

The only thing wrong with the machine is after my last print session about a month ago it wanted to home X wrong. Probably just a firmware thing, but I don't have time work with it. I'm also moving and just want to get rid of stuff before the move.

You would need a PSU as I was powering the thing off a 1,200 W seasonic gold rated computer PSU that I won't let go bundled.

IDK $400 or $375 sounds reasonable for every thing except PSU, I know I have way more into it then that. PM if interested.
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:29 pm

Here is the thread about an inexpensive 3D Printer http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5481

A few of us here purchased one. I did, and have been very satisfied with it. It has also come down in price to $275.00 shipped.

What I like about it over the Printrbot simple is the build area is almost twice the size and the cost is almost half the cost. (very liberal rounding!)

Whichever direction you go, I hope you and your son have fun!

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm

WillAdams wrote:
DRobs86 wrote:Off topic a bit... but we also need a cnc version of 3d hubs. (Or is there one?).
http://100kgarages.com/ ?

Oriented towards Shopbots AIUI.
You can take a lot of the items from THINGIVERSE and convert them to run on the Shapeoko like this http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5891

UPDATE! I should have done my homework better! 3D HUBS connect 3D printer owners to people who need 3D printed objects. Yes it would be nice to connect CNC owners to be able to run CNC projects for other people. ( A whole new can of worms )
Last edited by halfnormal on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Not only that, but Thingiverse has sections for methods other than FDM additive manufacturing -- it has a CNC milling section. There's not much there though.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk