Any recommendations for a 3D Printer or 3D Printer Kit?

Talk about all things CNC
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Any recommendations for a 3D Printer or 3D Printer Kit?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 pm

cvoinescu wrote:I'm just nitpicking. The SC bit is an essential feature of SCARA, and those 3D printers listed there do not need it and probably do not have it. In fact, the Morgan page says "based on SCARA", which is accurate.
No problem. Glad of the correct terminology. Wasn't aware of the distinction.

Now that I think about it though, a 3D printer which could somehow use the relative placement / correction aspect of SCARA would be neat, though I'm at a loss as to envision how to do it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

veng1

Post by veng1 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:25 pm

Having worked with a couple of industrial SCARA robots, specifically Adept Ones, I have a couple of comments.

The work envelop subtends a cardioid shape. This is great in an automation work cell because the parts to be fed can be put to the sides and towards the back. That isn't particularly useful in a 3D printed unless one wants to print some very odd shapes. However, most of the available work area is more or less wasted in the things that are typically 3D printed. But the arm can actually be quite dangerous and it really needs a guard around it so the work area including the guard gets very big. The workcell to build an 18"X12" printed circuit board, including conveyors was about 10-12 feet X 6 feet. (Sorry to use the Imperial measurements but a large PCB insertion machine at that time in the States was specified to build a PCB that was 18" X 18".) So the SCARA workcell was about 10 times the length of the target PCB in length and about 5 times in width.

In looking at 3D printers with large work areas, most of the parts that I wanted to print were not cube shaped but often had one dimension that was a good bit greater than the other two and that's a good use of a delta. Turn the part so the longest axis is in the Z direction. On the other hand, if big cubes are what you want to print, a delta gets tall fairly quickly because there is a direct mathematical/ rule of thumb relationship between the size of the axes.

Although SCARA is interesting, I suspect it isn't going to be the wave of the future in 3D printers.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:58 pm

I agree with your assessment. I just want to remark that, to some people, a SCARA-like printer is attractive because a lot more of it can be 3D printed compared to a conventional design. The rotary delta I've seen linked a few posts back fares even better on this criterion. (I am not swayed much by the self-replicability arguments, especially when they get in the way of practicality and print quality, but I think I understand the appeal.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Here's an interesting twist on a scara. Simen, the original developer of grbl up to about 2011, has been working on a new 3d printer concept. It's up on his website (http://bengler.no/alta) and written about in Make, so I can finally talk about it.

It basically inverts the the scara arm to move the table instead of the printer nozzle, where the nozzle just moves up and down. It's an interesting concept because it can be scaled up like a delta bot super easily and not have as much potential positional issues with it. There are a couple of downsides I can notice. First it moves the entire workpiece and bed in rotation and translation, which means that inertial dynamics will likely be significant (called resonance in 3d printing circles). Even though it's direct drive, it's hard to tell what the implications are though because the motion control is so different. Most likely it just means that it can't print very fast since it has to move a lot of mass constantly. Second, the printer nozzle rotates relative to the bed. Not sure what it entails to how it prints. It might be insignificant or lead to weird visible twists in the bead or a wholly different set of printing issues.

veng1

Post by veng1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:49 pm

I've been very happy with my E3D hotend so I backed their Kickstarter for a 3D printer.

I guess I'm going to find out what shipping from the UK to the States costs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/e3 ... ero_thanks

geedor

Post by geedor » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:59 pm

I have backed the E3D printer. I went for the duel print head kit with the acrylic upgrade. I would have got the already made one but I figured shipping would be less. I am also thinking about getting a rostock max v2 for a grand total of 3 printers. The way I see it you can't have too many of them.

veng1

Post by veng1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:55 pm

I was planning on getting a delta but I've had such good results with the E3D hot end, I decided to go with this.

As I already have a hot end, I went with the single extruder and acrylic upgrade with the plan to move the hot end and convert to a dual unit eventually. I also have two hot ends coming from the Stacker Kickstarter but they are bowden and may not be a good choice for this printer.

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Found this link.
It appears you can filter by country on the right hand side.

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dpri ... ils&sc=USA

K

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 pm

They seem to have last updated in 2012...
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 am

...and no Ultimaker listed? Hrmph.