S3 Hello World - so which part of my machine is bowed?

Talk about all things CNC
461oceanblvd

Re: S3 Hello World - so which part of my machine is bowed?

Post by 461oceanblvd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:50 pm

WillAdams wrote:Back in the SO1 days there were instances of plates being slightly bowed like this. Mine were. I put them on a towel over a threshold and pressed down on opposite ends w/ my feet, checking and adjusting until they were straight enough.
Thanks. I'll see what I can straighten. Both mdf pieces are flat on their own. I can press it flat enough on its own, so it must be catching on something else. I'll see what I can figure out. Or else I might make the (possibly ill-advised) move and take all the cross pieces out and bolt the machine down to something flat.

Or I also like the idea of tramming it.

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:35 pm

figured it out. the mounting screws are too long and/or the holes inset too deep. So the threads extend past the pem nut, causing the bow. This only occurs in the center holes. Pic for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/IImwn2i.jpg

I have some #10 flat washers on hand, but they are ever-so-slightly too large to fit in the mounting holes, so I'll have to wait until I go to the hardware store to try to fix. I will report back again when I do. Thanks for all the help everyone.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Have you put the rubber feet on yet? I think mine were thicker than that bolt sticks out.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Added this to the wiki:

The countersinks on some wasteboards have been cut too deep resulting in screws protruding and pushing up the wasteboard.[http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 467#p50466] Add suitable washers (#10 are slightly too large), use thicker bumpers, grind off the excess or source shorter bolts.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)