Cheap Pseudo-Vise (for owners of Misumi beds)

Talk about all things CNC
MeanderBolt

Cheap Pseudo-Vise (for owners of Misumi beds)

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:16 pm

I needed a way to mill some holes in the end of a piece I am working on for the slider project. It was far too tall to mill with my 123 block clamping that I have used previously, annnnd, I still haven't pulled the trigger on a for realz mill vise.

Last night it occured to me that I had everything I needed in front of me. So I quickly designed up a 110mm x 15mm block in Draftsight with 2 screw holes (5.5mm for easy movement). I milled it out of 6.35 (1/4 in.) 6061. I tapped the holes on the side of my misumi bed as the block was being milled out. I then screwed on the small block of aluminum with m5 bolts, moved the machine right to the edge of the table (so the workpiece could hang freely), inserted the workpiece, and within 20 minutes, I had a working vise. While it's not really ideal, it worked great in a pinch. I spend several minutes making sure everything was square, and off it went. Now... that said... I wish I had spent more time measuring the thickness of the workpiece. The holes are really far too close to the edge, but that's my fault.
Pseudovise_Front.jpg
Pseudovise_Front.jpg (185.58 KiB) Viewed 492 times
pseudovise_Side.jpg
pseudovise_Side.jpg (149.91 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Hans

Re: Cheap Pseudo-Vise (for owners of Misumi beds)

Post by Hans » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Hey, if it works it works. Probably a little messy. If you find yourself doing this a lot or you wear out the threads, put in steel inserts for those screws. You'll be able to clamp with more force without stripping threads, and the threads won't wear out.
Shapeoko #1,123

MeanderBolt

Re: Cheap Pseudo-Vise (for owners of Misumi beds)

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Hey Hans, no, I hope this is not a regular thing, but yes, if it works, it works. I do intend to make, or buy a more robust vise. Chamnit directed me to the idea of low profile vises that are built for direct connection to our mills. It is high on my list of want to dos, but I am mid huge project right now and don't want to get sidetracked (which I tend to do).

But you also bring an interesting point which I hadn't really considered much...
How many cycles of loosening and tightening might we get out of my tapped threads? The idea is interesting because I used to worry about it when I was first building my machine. Once it was together, and I started trusting my personally tapped things, I never really gave it another thought. I just took the attachments as really solid, and safe. So, how many times can we stress and un-stress the system? Both on my situation here, and on our machines with similarly tapped items.

Anyone?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log