Carbide 3D's Blog:Say goodbye to MDF. We love this new table

Talk about all things CNC
jbondeson

Re: Carbide 3D's Blog:Say goodbye to MDF. We love this new t

Post by jbondeson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Don't know why everyone is assuming that it's solid, but if it is made of aluminum I'm assuming it's not.

I do like the idea of using a solid piece of black HDPE. I'm in the process of sealing the MDF and cringing at the thought of sealing all the holes I'm going to make for work piece holding.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Yeah, some sort of hybrid sounds like a good idea:

- aluminum table made from laser-cut and folded sheet metal
- holes have matching hardware suitably attached (PEM nuts?) --- it would be nice to have steel threads
- an HDPE overlay which was replaceable --- I've actually been considering trying 3D printed puzzle pieces for this.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

veng1

Post by veng1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:03 pm

I think,ideally, I'd like to see the aluminum plate mounted below the end pieces so there is no loss of Z after adding an sacrificial overlay.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:26 pm

jbondeson wrote:Don't know why everyone is assuming that it's solid, but if it is made of aluminum I'm assuming it's not.

I do like the idea of using a solid piece of black HDPE. I'm in the process of sealing the MDF and cringing at the thought of sealing all the holes I'm going to make for work piece holding.
I'm basing that on the counterbored holes, which look really deep and more drilled than stamped or folded.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:11 pm

CastIrony wrote:
jbondeson wrote:Don't know why everyone is assuming that it's solid, but if it is made of aluminum I'm assuming it's not.

I'm basing that on the counterbored holes, which look really deep and more drilled than stamped or folded.
I'd guess its 000 gauge. I have built my 3D printer with gauge 5, and judging by the counterbored holes and the little we see from the side of the piece, it looks about twice of the alu sheed I used. An M5 pem nut is about 6mm, and I would not go below 4mm as material its sqweezes against, that make it about 10. However, gauge 0000 is 11mm.

Shall we start a poll and the winners get a free plate :lol:

Gauge chart http://sheetmetal.me/air-bend-force-cha ... onversion/
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi all! I'm just finding this thread today. Sorry for the delay.

This table is not for everyone. This is the table I wanted for my personal machine, figuring others might as well, we had a small batch of them made.

They will retail for $400 and come with 4 aluminum adjustable hold down clamps.

The table and clamps are made from 1/2" 6061 aluminum. I measured the flatness on my large surface table and they are within 0.003" of flat across the entire table.

The table has 96 holes tapped to M6 and the entire thing is type II anodized black as are the clamps.

The table is serious and it's bad ass and it's heavy. 30+ pounds heavy. We should have them for sale next week. We only have a couple, once we run out, we'll order more. They have a fairly short lead time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Good news: I was pretty close!

Bad news: I was pretty close :?

But it's good knowing I have the option for an upgrade in the future.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:30 pm

edwardrford wrote:I measured the flatness on my large surface table and they are within 0.003" of flat across the entire table.
How does that compare with the stock MDF in a typical S3 build?

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:41 pm

edwardrford wrote:The table has 96 holes tapped to M6 and the entire thing is type II anodized black as are the clamps.
It comes with clamps?

heathenx

Post by heathenx » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:22 pm

I definately want one.
Shapeoko 3, #405 / Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2, limit switches