Carbide 3D's Blog:Say goodbye to MDF. We love this new table

Talk about all things CNC
jayftee

Re: Carbide 3D's Blog:Say goodbye to MDF. We love this new t

Post by jayftee » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:53 pm

I got one as my b-day gift.

My SO3 is waiting for it to ship so, both can ship together.....

I can already hear wifey say
Another machine !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:57 am

A picture of the clamps - the kit will come with 4 clamps, and a few sizes of M6 screws to accommodate common sizes of material. The rear of the clamp is threaded, with the intent of using an M6 screw as the 'jack' to direct the force onto the side touching the material. These are nice looking parts - all the edges are broken and the black anodize makes them look really great.
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg (91.06 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
Regarding the tolerance of MDF thickness - the thickness tolerance is 0.005". However they also indicate a 'swell' tolerance! On pieces >15mm in thickness it's listed as 6%, on pieces < 15mm in thickness, it is listed as .05"! There is not a spec for flatness.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:50 am

edwardrford wrote:However they also indicate a 'swell' tolerance! On pieces >15mm in thickness it's listed as 6%, on pieces < 15mm in thickness, it is listed as .05"! There is not a spec for flatness.
Thanks! I think what I'm after is what is realistic once an S3 is assembled with the stock MDF, and that "swell" is compounded with being bolted down to the frame, and that's more of a practical ("seat of the pants"? there's a metaphorical way of putting it, but I can't think of it) sense of "yeah, +/- 0.05" is realistic" or "sure some are more out of whack, but most fully assembled are +/-0.015" " or something along those lines.

Odds are, until a bunch are out there, and we measure them, such a thing isn't known.

The other "flatness" I wonder about is how "square" the whole X/Y setup is typically compared with the X/Y plane. Having a really flat table like this would make that easier to measure.

Dare I say it? That anodized black aluminum is pretty damn sexy by CNC standards.

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:05 pm

I like my stock table just fine. It works good and is cheap to replace.

K

kayaker

Post by kayaker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 pm

edwardrford wrote:A picture of the clamps - the kit will come with 4 clamps, and a few sizes of M6 screws to accommodate common sizes of material. The rear of the clamp is threaded, with the intent of using an M6 screw as the 'jack' to direct the force onto the side touching the material. These are nice looking parts - all the edges are broken and the black anodize makes them look really great.
Will definitely be all over this upgrade when it hits the shelves! The SO3 will be much more 'WD40 proof' for work on aluminum with this base.
Take Care,

Jim. . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever; "when everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking!"

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:17 am

edwardrford wrote: The table has 96 holes tapped to M6 and the entire thing is type II anodized black as are the clamps.
Is the hole pattern compatible with the vise on the Carbide store? Or, are there out of pattern holes to affix the Carbide vise?

It be a shame if it is not.

Jeff
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:11 pm

We are actually in the process of making a new vice for the Shapeoko. Although the nomad vice is great, we feel like a slightly larger version for the Shapeoko would be ideal.

Speaking of the table - I did some more work with it today and it's really great. With the rigidity of the table you can clamp down hard without distorting anything, plus any vibrations have been further dampened by the extra mass of the table. The hold down clamps do a nice job of keeping everything in place without taking up a bunch of real estate.

Here's a shot of the table in action.

Here's a shot of the part after a quick trip to the bandsaw to trim the part and a once over with sandpaper to clean up the edges. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

TomO

Post by TomO » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:33 am

The new table looks great. Couple of questions: Does anyone have plans to use a sacrificial board on top of the new table? Also will this new table be available with the expansion kit?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:47 am

My current plan is to make up fixtures to protect my HDPE Wasteboard — I’d hope anyone spending 20x more than I did would be even more careful.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:26 am

edwardrford wrote:We are actually in the process of making a new vice for the Shapeoko. Although the nomad vice is great, we feel like a slightly larger version for the Shapeoko would be ideal.

Speaking of the table - I did some more work with it today and it's really great. With the rigidity of the table you can clamp down hard without distorting anything, plus any vibrations have been further dampened by the extra mass of the table. The hold down clamps do a nice job of keeping everything in place without taking up a bunch of real estate.

Here's a shot of the table in action.

Z axis upgrade also?