Carbide 3D's Blog:Say goodbye to MDF. We love this new table

Talk about all things CNC
Hans

Re: Carbide 3D's Blog:Say goodbye to MDF. We love this new t

Post by Hans » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:47 pm

CNC cut to size ground-flat 1/2" MIC-6 tooling plate is $200 from Discount Steel if you're willing to drill your own holes. Just another data point.

Is this plate replacing the metal strapping under the stock machine as well, and getting that extra 3/8" of Z space? If so, the holes should be put in by CNC to get everything as close to square as possible. If not, you could save a lot of cash going the DIY route. Not saying $400 is a bad price for the whole shebang, machined and anodized.
Shapeoko #1,123

ericeisele

Post by ericeisele » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:55 am

Edward - any updates on these tables? I wouldn't mind picking one up

mjo

Post by mjo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:28 am

I'd be potentially interested in one too.

cmkelly01

Post by cmkelly01 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 pm

I would love to be able to get this as an upgrade! I know you all are really busy with many projects, but is there any progress to report on getting the aluminum table to market? It's been a while since Edward posted any updates, and I really hope this project hasn't died on the vine for some reason. Thanks!

FabricatorCraig

Post by FabricatorCraig » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:07 pm

I've definitely been ready to jump on this since it was first floated by Edward/Carbide...eagerly waiting an update on when this effort might get some additional traction. :-)
-----------------Craig The Fabricator-----------------
SO1 - (1) Red Powder-Coat & (1) Non-Painted Steel
SO2 - (2) w/ lots of I.C. & other upgrades
SO3 - Serial #447

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Hello all,

Look at what the UPS guy dropped off today :D
IMG_1886.JPG
2 boxes, one mystery
IMG_1886.JPG (361.01 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
2 boxes, one I hope you can guess what it is, but for the other one, until a open it up, it shall remain a mystery.

Unfortunately, wifey forbids me from opening these up until the "honey do list" is all crossed out :cry:

Stay tuned for more as I start to build my SO3.....

P.S. Note to Edward. The big box seemed to have traveled well. Its heavy, 57 lbs heavy :lol: Thanks a bunch, woot !!!
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

kayaker

Post by kayaker » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:08 pm

jayftee wrote:Hello all,

2 boxes, one I hope you can guess what it is, but for the other one, until a open it up, it shall remain a mystery.

Unfortunately, wifey forbids me from opening these up until the "honey do list" is all crossed out :cry:

Stay tuned for more as I start to build my SO3.....

P.S. Note to Edward. The big box seemed to have traveled well. Its heavy, 57 lbs heavy :lol: Thanks a bunch, woot !!!
When are you going to get that "honey do list" out of the way? The suspense is killing me. Easy to figure out what's in the big box, but that little box. . . ;)
Take Care,

Jim. . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever; "when everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking!"

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:59 pm

Honey do list has been completed late last night.

Build has been on and off today because of trick or treat.

But fear not, when I am done (I am at page 16 of the assembly instructions right now) I'll post a pictoral, and few comments.

Just hang on :lol:
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe