Vac or planer ?

Talk about all things CNC
Defy

Re: Vac or planer ?

Post by Defy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:14 am

LTEPM wrote:Those machines are about 20 years old or older with that paint color, with 20 years of wear and tear. It's an estate sale, so they probably don't know what they are looking at. For the 4 machines I'd say $1000 tops with all accessories, blades, bits, jigs and mobile stands. The table saw is a contractors saw, not a cabinet saw as they have the price referenced, most of the rest is on the lower end of the spectrum. I purchased a similar bandsaw for my FIL for $25 and just had to clean some rust off the table and tune it up for him, and replace the tires. I think he had $75 in it with a new blade and tires. It wasn't a Jet but likely came out of the same Delta bandsaw clone factory. Power tools rarely get over 50% of new unless they are fairly new, Festool or Fein. Price the tools new from Grizzly or Laguna and see where that puts you.

Buy what you need as you need it and buy the best you can afford at the time. It will save you money in the end.

Thanks for the info. I called him about the work bench it's and older maple table with 2 vises and we started talking and he wanted to make a deal to move it all as I think he's trying to sell the house.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 am

Defy wrote:some tips and tricks to pass to my kids such as honing and sharpening and woodworking basics like planing, chisel work, sawing, joinery, etc. you know life skills all little girls need to know.
I may be just a boy, but I sure wish someone had taught me how to set up and sharpen a plane. I have a few from my grandfather (and possibly great grandfather) - all moderate, like a Stanley block plane, but little idea how to get them back to a good, working state...

Also, I'd add to your great list of things every girl should know, coding/programming, so she (they) understand how computers actually work, rather than just memorizing to click here, then click there and click OK on some Microsoft application or OS. An Arduino and a fist full of components is a great way to get programs to do stuff not just move the old Logo turtle around the screen.

(And finally, totally off topic for the thread, but on the topic of magazines and typography, would it send WillAdams in to convulsions or trigger some late 80's/early 90's PTSD to mention my old favorite Emigre Magazine ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigre_(magazine) )? I need to dig into some old hard drives and pull out my copies of Democratica ( http://www.emigre.com/EF.php?fid=89 ) and Narly ( http://www.emigre.com/EF.php?fid=110 ). I very much appreciate a beautifully, elegantly designed typeface, but every once in a while, you need to sneak up behind a font and inject it with a large dose of DMT and freak out for the fun of it. You stop worrying about em vs en dashes when each letter is a Frankenstein's monster of serif and sans serif mashed together and the layout of the article has 14 lines of text overlaid on top of each other with each line at slightly different angles. :D )

Defy

Post by Defy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 am

Correct coding is a must. I can figure out how to code in most languages but was trained in ada and now most of my coding is html/java/ and openscad. Gotta teach concepts like OO, variables, loops and recursion.

And i don't think there is an off topic on this thread as i have bought both a vac and a plane so its free game now!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 am

As Bartles & James said, “Thank you for your support”.

Research the prices on all the tools, and compare what a similar setup (new w/ warranty and delivery) would be — at the very least, get the expense of moving everything taken off the price, but a 20 year old JET at 90% of the current price is not a deal.

Emigre did some neat stuff, wish I’d bought the letterpress Whirligigs sample book, but I have most of them for that era, including the original Mrs. Eaves font w/ the Quark XTension to make it easy to use.

Tom, sharpening and tuning up planes is easy, just take it easy so that you don’t remove the patina which gives them value (you should research the planes you have, you may need to insure them, or want to sell them, a Stanley #1 can be a house down payment). If you’re close to me or in central New York State, Virginia, Maryland or Northwestern NC send me a PM and I’ll haul out my inexpensive guide and old stones and we can at least make a first pass at tuning them up.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm

I too am trying to teach basic skills to a little girl. In my case it is my Granddaughter and she is in my shop often. We are still mostly in the safety stage at this point, she ties her hair back, wears her hearing protection and runs the drill press for me. She's only 5 but we talk about gravity, space, simple physics and build bird houses. The good thing is she likes to use my dust collector to vacuum up the piles of sawdust! :D
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Defy

Post by Defy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:19 pm

Yep same kinda stuff. If you have a lowes/home depot near you they have free workshops for kids mine love them

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:01 pm

My wife and I have two little girls (6 and 4) - they're in the shop with me a lot. I have a toolbox with all their stuff in it: everything from crayons and paints to screws and nails and a small tool set (hammer, screwdriver, tiny pry bar, and a cordless screwdriver I picked up at menards). They can go to the scrap wood box I keep for them and take whatever they want. They're especially fond of the small 'hardware' set which contains SHCS, nuts and washers and some nylon spacers. They know they can use anything in their toolbox in any way they want. There are basically no rules for 'making' as long as they have their safety glasses on.

Mostly I find pieces of 2x4 with paintings on them and then a few screws pushed in 1/4". But sometimes they surprise me - my 6 year old build a small 'car' from a piece of mdf and some washers a few weeks ago, then had the 4 year old paint it.

The hardest part about children working with you is their great dislike of loud noised, which I completely understand and sympathize with. So we have hearing protection everywhere. Both of them favor the over the ear, earmuff style, protection. And if you look around, you can find small-ish safety glasses that work well. or better, a small set of lab goggles work really well.

My only goal with them in the shop is to get them accustomed to all the possibilities it holds. With the tools I, and any basic 'workshop' have on hand, one can basically build anything they want. I'm looking forward to the girls realizing this. In the mean time, i'm happy with what they make, and thankful they still think sweeping is fun :-)
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Defy

Vac or planer ?

Post by Defy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:02 am

edwardrford wrote:My wife and I have two little girls (6 and 4) - they're in the shop with me a lot. I have a toolbox with all their stuff in it: everything from crayons and paints to screws and nails and a small tool set (hammer, screwdriver, tiny pry bar, and a cordless screwdriver I picked up at menards). They can go to the scrap wood box I keep for them and take whatever they want. They're especially fond of the small 'hardware' set which contains SHCS, nuts and washers and some nylon spacers. They know they can use anything in their toolbox in any way they want. There are basically no rules for 'making' as long as they have their safety glasses on.

Mostly I find pieces of 2x4 with paintings on them and then a few screws pushed in 1/4". But sometimes they surprise me - my 6 year old build a small 'car' from a piece of mdf and some washers a few weeks ago, then had the 4 year old paint it.

The hardest part about children working with you is their great dislike of loud noised, which I completely understand and sympathize with. So we have hearing protection everywhere. Both of them favor the over the ear, earmuff style, protection. And if you look around, you can find small-ish safety glasses that work well. or better, a small set of lab goggles work really well.

My only goal with them in the shop is to get them accustomed to all the possibilities it holds. With the tools I, and any basic 'workshop' have on hand, one can basically build anything they want. I'm looking forward to the girls realizing this. In the mean time, i'm happy with what they make, and thankful they still think sweeping is fun :-)
Yep right behind you my girls are 4 and 2. 4 year old love to hit things like today she took a hammer to bubble wrap and had a blast and the youngest likes to put her bike helmet on and headbutt her sister... she is not interested in tools just yet. My oldest has built just about every thing Lowes has to offer and I have the black thumb nails to prove it! She always helps me build stuff, normally she sorts the bolts and washer and hands me things. We have built 3 3d printers together, the SO3, an M1A (she got to paint on the grease), arrows, a burlap target (got to spray paint the bunny), and help fix up her slide/fort thing that came with the house. I can't wait till she is older and we build her first motorcycle (mama will kill me but she needs to learn young).

We have a no TV rule in the house, movies every now and then. So the girls are really outdoors and active. Thats how i get away with having all my toys. Just show mama some pics of the oldest fishing and bam I am allowed to have a yak! fun fun

Defy

Post by Defy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:27 am

So I went and looked at the estate sale and I bought all the hand tools decent price but not a screaming deal I gave 400 for it all about 15 boxes and a work bench.

The bench was a cheaper one I found pretty much the same one online for 400 bucks. Came with about 10 different dogs/holdfasts things that fit in the holes of the table.... I will use this table to eventually build my first real table.

Haven't opened all the boxes yet it's kinda like x-mas so far I have found
- Crap-ton of jorgensen clamps 36/72 inch I-bar clamps like 8 of each plus other smaller wooden/metal/alu clamps all jorgensen
- Hand full of Klemmsia wood clamps that are pretty neat
- 3-4 dado sets different sizes in original boxes
- Freud chisel set new in box
- Small set of footprint made in england chisel new in box
- Vintage Kreg joint all metal pretty neat I have the plastic 2x4 version but I have never seen this one.
- Stanley bailey #4 and a 60 1/2 that looks newish so I doubt they are worth anything but give me something to play with
- 5-10 stones King and various other brands I have no clue what the grit is on any of them.
- Lots of sharpening stuff from auto drill bit sharpeners, electric knife sharpeners, stones, a few honing guides
- Box of squares, levels, saws (Disston)
- Box of random nails, dowels, and other odds and end
- Some cool craftsman tool that hangs and has a pen attachment with little cutting/grining wheels like a hard core dremmel

I mainly wanted the clamps and table but when I saw all the boxes i thought I would take a chance. Maybe I'll find gold, or a dead mouse or something....

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:42 am

The Disston saws may be the real treasure.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)