Vac or planer ?

Talk about all things CNC
Jimf

Re: Vac or planer ?

Post by Jimf » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:42 am

When I prep a board, I pick a face side first and run that through the jointer several times until it is flat. I then place the flat face against the fence and joint one edge. Run it through until it is 90 degrees and edge is clean.

I then place the flat face down on the planer and run it through several times until it reaches the thickness I need.

I then cut the board to width on the table saw with the jointed edge against the fence.

Defy

Post by Defy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:52 am

Jimf wrote:When I prep a board, I pick a face side first and run that through the jointer several times until it is flat. I then place the flat face against the fence and joint one edge. Run it through until it is 90 degrees and edge is clean.

I then place the flat face down on the planer and run it through several times until it reaches the thickness I need.

I then cut the board to width on the table saw with the jointed edge against the fence.
Thats what I thought so if I am doing a project with multiple boards I need to clean up I can joint everything then plane and not have to go back and forth between the 2 multiple times.

While I was at the store I tried out a Festool mini and man that thing is quite. I almost went home with it but when I told them I wanted to put a separator inline they told me that would void the warranty. So I figured I should get a proper dust collector so I bought the HF one and I am pleasantly supprised with the sound. It is kinda loud but it's not high pitched like the shop vacs so does seem as bad. It is no where near as powerful as the shop vac but it picks up dust just fine. I will permantly mount it to my SO3 and have one splitter that I will move between my table saw, belt sander and chop saw. Depending on what planer/jointer I go with I might permanently mount it to that one too and a gate for every line as I don't think this thing can do more than one tool at a time.

Now I am looking for one of these in a 2.5 inch
http://www.amazon.com/Dust-Right-Quick- ... PNAFCKT9BG

Jimf

Vac or planer ?

Post by Jimf » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:09 am

I never did understand festools stance against using a external cyclone collector. Something about static and its ability to kill the power switch. I never had a problem with my shopvac using one. Is there switch design that bad????

You will probably find that the dust collector actually will pull in more dust than any kind of shop vac.

If I don't need to use the wood right away, I will not plane the board to final thickness. A lot of times after planing the board, it may warp a bit overnight. I will then joint again and then plane to thickness just before I use it.

Defy

Post by Defy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Once again thanks for all the feedback.

Now that I am just hunting c-list for decent jointer/planer lets work on some other questions that I have. I searched the forum and did not find a post so I'll ask:

Keep in mind this is for wood working projects more relating to stuff we build on the SO's not cabinetry and fine furniture, smaller stuff.

What is a good set of starter hand planes? Looking for 2-4. They might meet my needs for the smaller stuff I am doing. Maybe I won't need the electric planer/jointer. And best of all they take up less space!!!

From my research I think I want a

- Block Plane
- Jack Plane
- Smoothing Plane

So which ones? Any thing I should be looking for if I buy used? A friend said Lie-Nielsen is like the Caddy but after looking at the prices I think I need more of a Chevy....

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Yes, the Jack and Smoother will serve. Add a jointer for longer stock.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist and eBay for vintage user planes.

There's a jack plane (made in India) available at Harbor Freight which is said to be good once tuned up.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Defy wrote:Once again thanks for all the feedback.

Now that I am just hunting c-list for decent jointer/planer lets work on some other questions that I have. I searched the forum and did not find a post so I'll ask:

Keep in mind this is for wood working projects more relating to stuff we build on the SO's not cabinetry and fine furniture, smaller stuff.

What is a good set of starter hand planes? Looking for 2-4. They might meet my needs for the smaller stuff I am doing. Maybe I won't need the electric planer/jointer. And best of all they take up less space!!!

From my research I think I want a

- Block Plane
- Jack Plane
- Smoothing Plane

So which ones? Any thing I should be looking for if I buy used? A friend said Lie-Nielsen is like the Caddy but after looking at the prices I think I need more of a Chevy....
For the budget, buy used Stanley's from the war era and learn to refurb. For new, the best bang for your buck are the WoodRiver planes from woodcraft. Veritas by Lee Valley also makes an excellent line of planes, priced between the WR and Lie Nielson. L-N are excellent planes and hold their value. You can also attend a Lie-Nielson Handtool event to try their planes and pick them up and use them.L-N, Veritas, And WR take very little additional setup out of the box other than honing an edge on the blade to get decent shavings.

If you haven't had any experience with hand planes, stay away from any of the big box or Harbor Freight offerings. You'll get frustrated very quickly.

For the record I own planes from all brands mentioned here, plus the ones from the big box and HF. The HF and big box ones never get used unless I know there is steel somewhere in a board and I need to locate it to save my other planes. Then go back on the top shelf out of the way.

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:57 pm

I only have 2 hand planes. A jack made by Record and Stanley low angle block. Both purchased at woodcraft. They get used but not to much. Most of the time at night when others are sleeping else it's power tools. Good planes do cost a lot of money. I'd rather spend it on something else instead.

Defy

Post by Defy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:48 pm

I think I am going to start with this one -->

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/adj ... ck-planes-

Seems like a general all around one. little pricey but most of the ones everyone recommends are 100-150 anyways so if this will save on frustrations then it's worth a try.

Question with planes, can you use them to go over v-carved stuff? Ie carve out a name then paint and use the plane to take off a thin top layer of paint and wood? I could sand it but it gums up the paper, would the paint just dull the blade?

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Defy wrote:I think I am going to start with this one -->

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/adj ... ck-planes-

Seems like a general all around one. little pricey but most of the ones everyone recommends are 100-150 anyways so if this will save on frustrations then it's worth a try.

Question with planes, can you use them to go over v-carved stuff? Ie carve out a name then paint and use the plane to take off a thin top layer of paint and wood? I could sand it but it gums up the paper, would the paint just dull the blade?
You can use a plane however I would recommend a card scraper instead sharpened with a proper hook angle. You won't be able to see the grain direction under the paint and may get tear out with a plane if you can't read it right or see changing grain patterns. A properly tuned scraper with a proper turned hook angle will do the job quickly. A cabinet scraper such as a No. 80 may work also.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 pm

The 60 1/2 is best suited for small work and cutting across the end(see the lighter coloured wood in the second of the pictures)

If you're doing general planing work, I'd go for a bench plane, or even a Jack-plane.
(Jack-planes are named that way because they're 'Jacks of all trades')
The 5 is a good start in my opinion, but it may be a bit too long for some tasks.
(Read: I want one... )
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.