Vac or planer ?

Talk about all things CNC
Woodworker

Re: Vac or planer ?

Post by Woodworker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:49 pm

I have the LN 102 block plane I believe. I use it almost every time I'm in the shop. Knock down edges, champher an edge, even round over an edge. Best plane I own. It's good for edges, not faces. Google Chris Schwarz (yes, it is spelled right). He has done plenty on using, sharpening and refurbishing planes.

When you paint are you using latex paint and a brush or a spray enamel. I use spray paint on signs and an 80 grit paper in a belt sander without too much clogging. The paint will clog the plane mouth, I would not recommend it.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Defy

Post by Defy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:33 am

Ok different angle what plane(s) would be the best to clean/square up this piece of wood? Image

I can get wheel barrow loads of maple, walnut, ash, etc for 10 bucks a load but most of it looks like that.

Now i know i can surface it on the SO (well not all of it unless i build a vise of sorts). But i would still need to clean up the sides on some cases.

Also some pieces are like 2-3 inches thick, table saw and band saw the best way to cut them thinner?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:45 am

A jack and a smoother would be fine for those, or just a jack plane w/ a pair of blades appropriately sharpened.

You'll want a frame saw (the hand option) or a band saw to resaw wood to be thinner. (says the guy who does it w/ a job saw)

A table saw can be used, esp. w/ a thin blade, but it increases the possibility of problems.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:55 pm

With the combination of a decent block plane and a good smoother, you can flatten all of those boards in no time. I would recommend a # 4 1/2 smoother as a good all-around plane. You can get this one from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/158001 ... Plane.aspx) and it is fairly well-received. I have this one, and with a good sharp blade, it is a workhorse. And it costs less than half the Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 (beauty that it is).

You will never regret buying that L-N block plane.

Defy

Post by Defy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 am

After lots of research and talking with LN I got the LN 102 to start with. I will use this to clean up parts that come out of SO and to just get familiar with planes. Next in line will be the #62 Jack and the 60 1/2 block and then the #4 Smoothing. But I want to see if I use the 102 before I jump into 1000 dollars worth of planes. I ordered a honing guide and some stones (not from LN) so I might pick up a cheap Stanley Jack and try my hand at tuning it. We'll see. Its always crazy to see where these threads take me. I thought I was going to buy some huge planer/jointer but ended up getting interested in some more traditional hand tools.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:31 pm

The 102 is super and I carry it in my apron pocket. I also abuse mine by using it to remove glue and placing it blade down on my bench, a little honing and it is back to normal. The weight is perfect for champhering. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:53 pm

This just popped into my inbox
http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/08/04 ... ing-guide/

Is this the guide you bought?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Yeah, one does want some additions for hand tools:

- good quality tools
- a way to sharpen them w/ a reliable, repeatable edge
- marking gauge, or some other way to mark a parallel line
- winding sticks (to allow one to check a piece of wood for twist)
- rules and squares which are longer than the longest piece of wood which one wishes to measure

Choosing and Using Hand Tools by Andy Rae is an excellent book on this sort of thing.

We do list some books on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... oodworking --- should we add more?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:14 pm

Defy wrote:After lots of research and talking with LN I got the LN 102 to start with. I will use this to clean up parts that come out of SO and to just get familiar with planes. Next in line will be the #62 Jack and the 60 1/2 block and then the #4 Smoothing. But I want to see if I use the 102 before I jump into 1000 dollars worth of planes. I ordered a honing guide and some stones (not from LN) so I might pick up a cheap Stanley Jack and try my hand at tuning it. We'll see. Its always crazy to see where these threads take me. I thought I was going to buy some huge planer/jointer but ended up getting interested in some more traditional hand tools.
The LAJ from LN is great. Adjusting it is a little different from tradional planes but easy to learn, you need to tap the edge of the iron, no lateral adjustment lever. I have 3 blades honed to different angles depending on my need.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Will, perhaps this http://lostartpress.com/products/by-hand-eye-1

And the not yet released workbook. http://lostartpress.com/collections/boo ... -hound-eye

Would be good for planning and designing pieces.