SO3 Control Box

Talk about all things CNC
dvdsnyd

Re: SO3 Control Box

Post by dvdsnyd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:42 am

Aaron,
This looks fantastic! I am hoping to do something similar at some point. However, I am not an electrician. Would you be able to give an idea of what type of wire you used.. Gauge and if it is stranded or solid core. Also, what type of connectors did you use for connecting the wire to the various components? I really appreciate you taking the time to document this as well as laying out a parts list!
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:39 pm

I did something very similar with my control box...plastic junction box from Home Depot.

It's got more than enough room for add ons.
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

wunderaa

Post by wunderaa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm

dvdsnyd wrote:Aaron,
This looks fantastic! I am hoping to do something similar at some point. However, I am not an electrician. Would you be able to give an idea of what type of wire you used.. Gauge and if it is stranded or solid core. Also, what type of connectors did you use for connecting the wire to the various components? I really appreciate you taking the time to document this as well as laying out a parts list!
Dave
Dave, So sorry for taking a while to get back. Haven't logged in for a bit. I used very thin wire (23 gauge?) for signal since it is carrying very low power. For the 24V supply, I'm not sure what I used, but probably 14 gauge. Because the switches I used have very small terminals, I ended up soldering most of the connections. For others, I used regular crimped push-on connectors. Hope this helps. Please post your progress!

wunderaa

Post by wunderaa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Well, I finally got around to connecting my control box to the other desired I/O.

Inputs to control box
- Spindle enable
- PWM
- Common Ground

Outputs from the control box to Carbide 3D Board
- E-stop
- Feed Hold
- Reset
- Z-Probe

By far, the biggest win in all of this was the spindle enable (D13 - picture attached). By re-doing my post-processor to now input M3 (turn on spindle) at the beginning and M5 (Off) at the end of my G-code, I now have my router and vacuum shut off automatically when jobs are finished. Amazing. Sorry no pictures, but essentially, the spindle enable (5V) powers a 5V relay to connect 24V to the control circuit previously shown. Simple, effective.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (331.8 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

wunderaa

Post by wunderaa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:23 am

And pictures of the outside. We'll call this one done. I would show the inside, but it's an embarrassing mess for an electrical engineer!
Attachments
IMG_20151228_195254.jpg
IMG_20151228_195254.jpg (259.42 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
IMG_20151228_195240.jpg
IMG_20151228_195240.jpg (233.8 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:40 am

A wiring diagram, w/ annotations would be welcome.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

wunderaa

Post by wunderaa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:08 pm

WillAdams wrote:A wiring diagram, w/ annotations would be welcome.
You bet. I updated the previously loaded diagram to include the 5V relay in the lower right. Essentially the 24v relay coils that control the vacuum and router cannot operate until the spindle enable signal energizes the 5V relay. It's not noted, but I also added a bypass switch for this function in case I have a need to run the vacuum or router without the program. Probably not needed, but there.

The big thing to keep in mind for the discreet communication with the board is this: E-stop, feed hold, reset and z-probe all work by grounding the input. So, by pulling in the common ground from the Carbide 3D board, you can ground one side of a NO switch and connect the other end to the desired input.

Please let me know if there are any other questions!
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (33.7 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

AlainTernet

Post by AlainTernet » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi !
Very nice box ! Can you give more info about each function / bouton?
(I am a Shapeoko-cnc newbie, electronic newbie and also I don't speak English very well, so I don't understand all...)

E-stop --> stop the Shapeoko and the router. It is the same at directly unplug all ?
Vacuum / router --> to start the vacuum and the router. Why use a relay instead of using a 120v/15amp switch directly?
Bypass anable --> ?
Hold --> ?
reset. --> ?

Thanks !

wunderaa

Post by wunderaa » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:56 pm

AlainTernet wrote:Hi !
Very nice box ! Can you give more info about each function / bouton?
(I am a Shapeoko-cnc newbie, electronic newbie and also I don't speak English very well, so I don't understand all...)

E-stop --> stop the Shapeoko and the router. It is the same at directly unplug all ?
Vacuum / router --> to start the vacuum and the router. Why use a relay instead of using a 120v/15amp switch directly?
Bypass anable --> ?
Hold --> ?
reset. --> ?
Alain,

I'll do my best to explain.

- E-stop The E-stop has two sets of contacts. One set is Normally Open (NO) and one set is Normally Closed (NC). When then button is pressed, the NO contacts short together meaning that the E-stop signal that is connected to the board gets connected to ground. This stops the machine from moving more. The second set of contacts (NC), opens up. When that happens, the 24V that feeds the relay coils for the router and vacuum goes away, turning those units off.

- Vacuum/Router - Both of these units can easily be turned on manually as you pointed out. The purpose for this whole circuit is this: In your g-code, you can use the M3 command to make the "spindle enable" signal go to 5V. That 5V signal is then fed into a relay ("5V RELAY" in the picture) which then turns on the router/vacuum relays ("RELAY 1" and "RELAY 2" in the picture). At the end of the g-code, you can insert the M5 command which turns off the spindle enable circuit, which turns off the router and vacuum. This means that for long jobs, you can set the machine up to run and it will shut down the noisy stuff when it's done. For me, this is huge because I can do other things around the house when jobs are in progress.

- Bypass enable - I added the switch so you can see what it does. Essentially, if you ever want to just run the vacuum or router without running a job (when SPINDLE ENABLE is not active), this switch lets you do that. This switch is a set of normally open contacts that will connect 24V to the main relays directly when pressed.

- Hold and Reset - These are separate buttons but function in the same way. One terminal of the switch is connected to ground and the other is connected to the control board at either hold or reset. When the button is pressed, that input is grounded and the board responds by either resetting or executing a feed hold (stop the movement and pause the program).

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for asking!

Aaron
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (37.74 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

AlainTernet

Post by AlainTernet » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.
All is much clear for me now except one thing:
reset. When the button is pressed, that input is grounded and the board responds by either resetting or executing a feed hold (stop the movement and pause the program).
Feed hold: the Shapeoko stop to move but the router still work ? What is the utility ?
Reset: what make the reset button ?

Alain