Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Talk about all things CNC
shoko3pr

Re: Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Post by shoko3pr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:05 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:Which OS are you guys using?
Win7 and Linux dual boot. Had the same problem with both.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Damn. Obviously not OS specific then. :(

Which build of Carbide Motion are you using? (it should say in the bottom left corner)

I'm using Version: 2.0.314, Build Date: 2015-04-10, on Win 8.1. Seems ok "so far". ;)
Last edited by AnonymousPerson on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 3 #516

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:11 am

I'm running Win7. I tried a USB isolator, didn't fix it. I suppose next is an isolation transformer to separate it from the grid a little.
Shapeoko 3 #0773

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:30 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:Which OS are you guys using?
I am using 32-bit Windows 7 Professional, with 4GB of RAM (only 3GB accessible due to a 1GB video card).
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

shallowcreek

Post by shallowcreek » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:29 pm

This issue comes and goes on my system. Last night for no reason the machine would loose the signal in the middle of the job twice. I had a Bluetooth headset on during one of the failures and heard the sound like something was disconnected/connected. I restarted everything and ran the job again with no issue until i turned the router off and it dropped right into my work piece because it lost the connection for a brief second. I am running the router on a different circuit with the laptop.

Today I am trying a different computer thinking maybe the USB port on the Window 7 laptop is faulty. If i am running a mouse and thumb drive at the same time the mouse does not always work.

If the different laptop doesn't work what is next?

BH

Alie

Re: R: Kress mount Europe

Post by Alie » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:10 am

I am experiencing the same problem with my shapeoko, when I'm milling aluminium at some point the machine stops moving and drops the spindle a little so the bit goes wherever it wants and ruins the piece...I don't even have limit switches so I can't re-zero perfectly to restart milling.
A strange thing is I got a radio powered from the same outlet and when I power the shapeoko up (using the included switch on the power supply cord) I can hear noise from the radio...is that worth investigating? I would love some help since this machine is so awesome but this stupid problem stops me from doing anything!

shallowcreek

Post by shallowcreek » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Using a different laptop seems to have fixed my issue. I am not sure why the USB port seem to work OK but if i used a mouse and a thumb drive at the same time the mouse will skip a little around and not always hold the connection. I tested crossing the cables for the power to the router with the USB cable that was connected to the machine and turning the spindle on and off repeatedly without ever loosing the connection. That was a problem in the past with the other laptop's USB port.

BH

Valere Versnip

Post by Valere Versnip » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Hello,

I also have this problem now...
In the windows device manager, I can see the Shapeoko COM port disconnecting at random times, causing carbide motion to freeze...

Tried with different laptops, other usb cables, no success...
So what I understand is that a galvanic USB isolator should fix the problem?
Correct?
Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,
Tim

dvdsnyd

Galvanic USB Isolator

Post by dvdsnyd » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Here is the Galvanic USB Isolator that Jorge from Carbide recommended to me.
http://www.saelig.com/MFR00151/UBUSB1001.htm
I have the isolator along with several Ferrite beads. One large bead that has the router power cord wrapped through 4 times and two smaller "clamp-on" style ferrite beads that are on the power supply input cord.
With this setup, I was able to perform about 50 power cycles of my router without losing connection once. I did a similar test with my Shop Vac used for dust collection, powering it on and off 25-50 times and didn't get a drop out.

Here is the torroid that went on the router cord:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009N8 ... ge_o00_s00

Here are the clamp on ferrite beads that went on the input cord of the power supply:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2B ... ge_o09_s02

I have not tried removing the ferrite beads and trying just USB isolation.

It should also be mentioned that if you are having problems, it might be a good idea to send an email to Carbide 3D support.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Valere Versnip wrote:Hello,

I also have this problem now...
In the windows device manager, I can see the Shapeoko COM port disconnecting at random times, causing carbide motion to freeze...

Tried with different laptops, other usb cables, no success...
So what I understand is that a galvanic USB isolator should fix the problem?
Correct?
Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,
Tim

Valere Versnip

Post by Valere Versnip » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks Dave,

I will check if I can get those things in Belgium (or maybe an alternative with the same specs).

I already sent an email to carbide 3d. Yesterday, so I haven't received an answer just yet :-).
I will post my answer once I get it.
What worries me is that my connection never gets lost when I turn on/off the router, but at random times when the router is running (even when it is not cutting anything, only spinning).
Maybe some other consumer in my house causes these things, but I only have normal things :-) fridge, iron, no nuclear reactor :-)

And for the next part, I really don't want to sound negative, because I have a tremendous amount of respect for the shapeoko team, and what they achieved, but here are my two cents:

As I am not the only customer who has this problem, and because I have not done any mods or anything to the machine, and I don't run my machine together with big power consumers, I have a standard basic setup.
I consider this problem to be a design error.
I think it's really cool the community tries to help eachother with suggestions of "you can try this" and "maybe this helps", but imho the shapeoko team should evaluate this problem, and find a solution.
Even if this means a redesign of the controller board (adding usb isolation, or isolating the UART on board), or maybe design a plugon board, there are options.
BTW: this does not add a whole lot to the BOM-cost of the controller board. (I know, I have designed one, just now for one of my customers at work). Certainly a lot less, than having to buy an external usb isolator.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a lot of official reactions to this problem?

Are the schematics/layout files of the controller board available? --> I searched, but failed :-)
I wish I could take a look at them, maybe (probably not... heavily depending on PCB layout), it is possible to isolate the USB to UART part of the layout, using low-cost optocouplers.

Anyways:
I am superstoked about my machine, but right now it's completely useless... And it's bugging the hell out of me ;-)

Greets,
Tim