Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Talk about all things CNC
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Post by WillAdams » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:52 pm

The compressor on a refrigerator has been shown to be sufficient to cause a disconnect.

Schematics are not available, the Carbide Motion Machine Control Board is proprietary to Carbide 3D.

FWIW, AIUI, the board is an improvement over the gShield and Arduino which preceded it --- seems that real-world testing has determined that it's not as much of an improvement as seems to be needed for some folks.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Valere Versnip

Post by Valere Versnip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Hmm,

Now I come to think of it, my wife cleaned out the freezer. And I just started a job after she plugged the thing in again.
Probably it was drawing a lot of power at that moment...

This would explain why communication got lost more often than otherwise.
I still think the board should be robust enough to withstand this, but I will try screwing up communication by plugging out/in my freezer, and see what happens...

I also ordered some alternative ferrites @Farnell, and the USB2ISO in the meantime...

I will post my findings...

Grts,
Tim

jbc

Post by jbc » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:30 pm

I have tried a lot of different things to combat the issue of the Dewalt DWP611 loosing its communication with the computer.
I don't even want to try to update everyone here with everything I tried. But I do want to share with you what I found today.

My router would run a job and loose communication with the computer when I turned the router off to change a bit. I realized that it would loose connection when turning it off only after I noticed a small static like pop that was added to the 'click' of the router's switch when turning it on. The added 'pop' is faint. Very faint but it was there.
The solution for me (that has yet to loose communication) was to plug the router into a power strip. I leave the router's switch to 'ON' and turn the router on and off with the power strip's switch.

So maybe my 10 year old home has poor grounding in the garage or maybe Dewalt's switch is finicky. Right now I don't care.
My CNC tears are drying.

Let us know if this solution works for you.
jbc
jbc
VCarvePro 8
3D Printing prototypes
Sketchup
http://www.CaffeineMachine.com

jkanzaki

Re: Galvanic USB Isolator resolved

Post by jkanzaki » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Hey Guys,

Like many of you with the disconnection issue. My Shapeoko 3 has the same disconnection issue. After looking into what Dave sugguested (usb2iso isolation adaptor) I drop my money without an heartbeat and bought it last week.

Long story short, I receive the package from saelig early this week and tested the adapter. My problem seem to have gone, however, I've only done 2 job (3hour long each). I cannot 100% confirm it resolve the disconnection problem but at least so far my SO3 is happy with my laptop.

<IMPORTANT> This might apply to some of you but another reason why the board is disonnecting from the computer is due to the board placement. The usb cable tend to get drag back and forth while connecting to my laptop, and causes a disconnection. A solution to that is install a drag chain on the Y axis and secure the usb to limit its movement. Or simplely prevent usb from wobbling around (if your laptop has a loose usb port like mine). Obviously there could be a very high chance of noise that causes the disconnect but loose usb cable can also cause a disconnection. THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME. get the Galvanic isolation adapter ---- Buy a ferrite bead (wrap it around your usb cable)--- and do something about the potential loose usb port (use something underneath for support)--- seperate the spindle power to another circuit , vaccum, and Shapoeoko board main power to 3 seperate wall circuit ( or at least separate them as many as you can).

That's it, happy milling guys :)
Henry
dvdsnyd wrote:Here is the Galvanic USB Isolator that Jorge from Carbide recommended to me.
http://www.saelig.com/MFR00151/UBUSB1001.htm
I have the isolator along with several Ferrite beads. One large bead that has the router power cord wrapped through 4 times and two smaller "clamp-on" style ferrite beads that are on the power supply input cord.
With this setup, I was able to perform about 50 power cycles of my router without losing connection once. I did a similar test with my Shop Vac used for dust collection, powering it on and off 25-50 times and didn't get a drop out.

Here is the torroid that went on the router cord:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009N8 ... ge_o00_s00

Here are the clamp on ferrite beads that went on the input cord of the power supply:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2B ... ge_o09_s02

I have not tried removing the ferrite beads and trying just USB isolation.

It should also be mentioned that if you are having problems, it might be a good idea to send an email to Carbide 3D support.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Valere Versnip wrote:Hello,

I also have this problem now...
In the windows device manager, I can see the Shapeoko COM port disconnecting at random times, causing carbide motion to freeze...

Tried with different laptops, other usb cables, no success...
So what I understand is that a galvanic USB isolator should fix the problem?
Correct?
Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,
Tim
Shapeoko 1 - dissassemble
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y
Shapeoko 3 - 0051 Stock Dw611, SuperPid, limit switch, 9mm belt

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:03 pm

I have this problem as well. Hoping this does the trick http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XXS ... ge_o00_s00 it is a bit cheaper then the other one referenced
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

edwan

Post by edwan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:12 am

I bought one of the USB isolators from Saelig. Works great! I had some doubts since its a bit pricey, but darn it sure works.
I have never had a problem since, or with my limit switches.
S3 #1105

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:45 am

Would it be worth keeping a list of which USB isolator shave been used successfully?

Or are they all electronically similar enough that they should all be equivalent? (In which case we can track non-working examples)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

The isolators are quite similar, and all of them for which the information was available were based on the Analog Devices ADuM4160 chip. The main difference is in the capacity (and quality) of the isolated DC supply. The cheapest versions (like this one for $25) do not have an isolated DC-DC converter, and require an external supply (wall wart -- or get power from the Carbide Motion board).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:44 am

cvoinescu wrote:The isolators are quite similar, and all of them for which the information was available were based on the Analog Devices ADuM4160 chip. The main difference is in the capacity (and quality) of the isolated DC supply.

Hopefully the one I ordered works >_< There was not a lot of information given on internals.

If you are wondering what happens when the serial disconnects while mid-job running a laser.
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Same issue with the SparkFun edition with the Stepoko controller.

Edit: posted in the electronics section.