Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Talk about all things CNC
B NEGATIVE

Re: Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Post by B NEGATIVE » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:40 pm

I had this issue for a while with my 1.5kw Bejing Bullet so I sprung for a USB isolator..jobs were not even making it 2 mins in before the 'GRBL port blah blah I hate you human' error..... :(

While I was waiting,I also had a play with clip on ferrite cores on the USB. Turns out that one core was not enough,1 core at each end tho...that worked a treat! No errors at all.

USB isolator is on its way and it seems I dont need after all. Gutted I blew £30 on something i dont need and,in a bipolar twist,very happy that it was a simple enough fix.

I dont know if being 240v master race or the half decent shielded spindle power cable helped tho so YMMV.

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:38 pm

I'll tell you what, it's a good thing that there is a new board on it's way....17 disconnects trying to run two simple parts. I love what I can do with my Shapeoko but this is beyond frustrating.

The last one disconnected and then bCNC decided to cut in mm even though I had it in inches ruining the part I spent 10 disconnects trying to run on the final engrave :(
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:54 pm

Atonwa wrote:I'll tell you what, it's a good thing that there is a new board on it's way....17 disconnects trying to run two simple parts. I love what I can do with my Shapeoko but this is beyond frustrating.
New board?
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:12 pm

atrueresistance wrote:New board?
I believe Atonwa is referring to this post, where Fablicator indicated that "Carbide is sending me a replacement board with updated ESD protections to try and solve my issues. Fingers crossed."
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Atonwa wrote:I love what I can do with my Shapeoko but this is beyond frustrating.
Yeah, similar thought here. Carbide offered to send me a USB isolator for trying things out, but instead I went around and plugged the various bits (spindle, vacuum, etc) into different outlets + use a different computer for the g-code sending.

So far (just a few days) there hasn't been a single disconnect. Which has made for a nice change... starting to get less discouraged again now. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:46 pm

RoguePirin wrote:
I believe Atonwa is referring to this post, where Fablicator indicated that "Carbide is sending me a replacement board with updated ESD protections to try and solve my issues. Fingers crossed."
Yep new board with isolation is on the way. Was just frustrated when I posted. The crazy thing is it can be so random. One day I maybe have one all day and then there are days like today where it happens several times a run for no reason. I have separate circuits, even bought and installed the power supply that you can auto turn on spindle with (to get away from possible switch issue) and no luck. Been monitoring humidity but my shop is in basement and stays pretty even so I can't even claim it is that.

Fingers very crossed that the board solves it.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:57 pm

Atonwa wrote:
RoguePirin wrote:
Yep new board with isolation is on the way. Was just frustrated when I posted. The crazy thing is it can be so random. One day I maybe have one all day and then there are days like today where it happens several times a run for no reason. I have separate circuits, even bought and installed the power supply that you can auto turn on spindle with (to get away from possible switch issue) and no luck. Been monitoring humidity but my shop is in basement and stays pretty even so I can't even claim it is that.

Fingers very crossed that the board solves it.

Indeed,seems my earlier jubilation was in vain as....

......the error is back.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 am

Any details on what this "updated ESD protection" is or do we have to wait for them to show up in the wild and then play electronics detective by looking at/probing the boards?

mscrib

Post by mscrib » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:10 pm

I had been having a disconnect issue that was isolated to my garage beer fridge compressor starting and stopping. If I unplugged it, all was good until recently. The disconnects became frustratingly frequent. I ordered the Big Bear USB Isolator others have talked about on here. I also contacted Carbide 3D and received a nearly immediate and helpful response.

http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant.mvc ... &category=

Last night, I ran the project pictured which included a 1/4" endmill rough and profile followed by a tool change to a 1/8" ball end for finishing. Everything worked perfectly for the first 4 minute toolpath, tool change and 40 minutes (50%) of finishing. Yes, everything worked perfectly. No disconnects until... my @#$^% laptop went to sleep! :shock: I made a couple of attempts to find where I was in the code, but went a little too far into the operation. Will hopefully get it finished tonight.

IMO, the isolator solved my disconnect issue. Now, I just need to change my computer power settings and sort through 100,000 lines of g-code to avoid cutting air for 40 minutes.

If you are having problems, contact support@carbide3d.com. They have been Johnny-on-the-spot any time I have had an issue.
Attachments
Duc Sign.jpg
Duc Sign.jpg (165.54 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Shapeoko 3 #441

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 pm

A lot of people seem to be having luck with the USB Isolator (which is good news). I, however, am not one of those people. I ordered one on amazon, it came yesterday. I plugged it in, started the cut file, and within 30 seconds, it was doing the same thing. My SO3 CAN run the file (or at least the 20 minutes I let it run for) with no errors when the router is not cutting. So I took the bit out, and tried running again with the router on but no bit, and it worked for a few minutes. Cycling the router on and off did not cause a disconnect. So, there's some static issue where the bit is making contact with the material that it causes the error.

I can't figure it out. I have tried a dozen other tricks mentioned on here, and none of them worked. Contacted support (who got back to me in a day, which was great) and they said they would send out a USB Isolator (I told them I already have one if they still want to bother), and if that didn't work, they would send a newer board, which is not ready for deployment yet, so who knows when that'll come out.

And that's my story so far. Cheers.