Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Talk about all things CNC
JeromyReno

Re: Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Post by JeromyReno » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 am

i changed out my controller for a tinyG, it's a lot like the carbide board that comes with it. i just had my first disconnect today. i find that when my machine tries to cut to deep or gets off track from my feeds being to high it happens, and when the router gets cycled. seems to me like it's from the emf caused by the coils in the router. does anyone with a dc spindle have this problem. im going to try a larger power supply too. maybe just removing the board from the super convenient place one the back of the x axis will be the way to go, just have to run a ton of wire.

when the router gets turned off the magnetic field will collapse and have to go somewhere causing a very large dc power spike. either down the neutral wire or the load wire. all the circuits in your house go back to the same buss where your power enters your house or shop. so your router is directly connected to your controller power no mater what. we might just need large capacitors to filter spikes entering the power supply, or neon bulbs that can turn the spikes into light, or after the supply to hold the charge for the time between cycles. if the power supply has a built in over power shut of it might be getting shut off for an instant. when my tinyG gets a disconnect it goes into boot loader mode, which is what happens when i cycle the power. i'll keep researching and try somethings out and keep everyone posted.

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:50 am

I adjusted the buffer size and delay in between gcode strings in chilipeppr (the gcode sender) and my problems went away for now. So I can't really test any of my theory's. Maybe I jinxed it fixed

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:35 am

Hey guys. So, as I posted I have had the same issue as everyone else. So I decided I would see what I could do to eliminate the USB connection entirely, via bluetooth adapter or a couple of XBee units (per Jorge at Carbide's suggestion). As a first step, I bought an FTDI serial - USB adapter, just to make sure I could use the 6-pin connector on the Carbide Motion board (v2.1 is the one I have), and communicate to the cnc from my laptop. I don't think the Carbide Motion software will work using that port, but UGCS and bCNC do. I'm using UGCS for now.

This is the cord I bought. I'm sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere, but I happen to live 20 minutes from SparkFun hq so I could pick it up: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718

I plugged it in and started the project file I have been cutting about 30 times in a row with a disconnect within the first 5 minutes. Well, I am happy to report it has now been 38 minutes and there has yet to be any hiccup!

The router has gone under pretty heavy strain (forgot to change the cam file back to 40ipm... woops). I have cycled the router on and off to move a clamp. My furnace has come on and off. My air compressor has cycled (which even dimmed the lights), but it did NOT stop the Shapeoko! It's still going strong. Maybe it's just a fluke. Maybe the original USB cord is bad. Maybe, the usb port on the controller has some issues. I don't know, but I am happy I found a solution that finally seems to be working. Thought I'd post it here in case it might help someone else!

Cheers.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:04 am

461oceanblvd
Thanks first , You can send images to understand what you do !.

J
Last edited by josejuako on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 3 Serial No. 1302

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:33 pm

josejuako wrote:461oceanblvd
Thanks first , You can send images to understand what you do !.

J
Sure. I bought the cord I linked to above, and plugged it into this 6-pin connector seen in this photo (bottom middle). Hope this helps! The job finished after 59 minutes without error.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:05 pm

The connection is made in this place marked with green rectangle ?.

J

461oceanblvd

Post by 461oceanblvd » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:11 pm

Yes, exactly. :)

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:31 am

461oceanblvd

Thanks a lot my friend !.

J

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Anyone having particular issues when cutting EPS? I tried two cuts and Carbide Motion quit to the Load Program screen as if it had finished the job. (In the past when I had problems, it would just hang.) Both problems occurred within 60 seconds of starting the job but they didn't quit at the exact same spot. I presume cutting EPS is generating a lot of static electricity.

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:00 pm

i have figured out that it was a few different things with my machine. i added a furman power conditioner madel ac-215a to plug both my laptop and machine power supply into and now i can turn my router off and on all day with out disconnect and even my vacuum and compressor at the same time. but i still get a static build up every now and then that triggers my limit switches when cutting plastic but that should be an easy fix. i am also running a tinyg and not the carbide board although it was the same problem on both

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PJ ... ge_o01_s01