Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Talk about all things CNC
AnonymousPerson

Re: Losing Connection in Middle of Project

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:41 am

cvoinescu wrote:
AnonymousPerson wrote:Asking because I was looking at ferrite cores recently to help reduce the RF noise caused by my GTX970 video card.
How is that noise coupled, and where do you put the ferrite cores? If, for instance, the noise affects your sound card, there's not much you can do, because the source of noise is inside the computer case, and it's coupled through the PCIe slot, which you can't really block, through the power supply, which you can block to a small extent by putting a ferrite core on the auxiliary 12 V connector to the card, and radiated all over the inside of the case. If it's noise that affects something outside the PC, it's probably a little more tractable, but I don't know enough to give you good advice.
For my GTX970 situation, I have two decent quality computer monitors ("monitor" speakers, not "monitor" displays"). They're badly affected by the GTX970, and put out all kinds of weird noise. Noticably changes when the graphics card switches modes too. The noise is bad enough that I can't do gaming with the monitors on, having to use headphones instead. :( My suspection is the noise is probably travelling through the audio cable from the speaker jack on the back of the PC, to the monitors. I have ferrite cores strung along the audio cable... doesn't seem to be doing much/anything though.

Having no clue (yet) with electronics nor audio... is a problem. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:54 am

That sounds like an entirely different problem, and ferrite cores will not solve it. The only idea I have is to use an optical output, if your computer or soundcard have one, and a separate DAC of some sort (not sure whether anything is available cheaply).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

jalapano

Post by jalapano » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:35 am

Would it be possible to add a feature to Carbide Motion where it would prevents my computer from going to sleep while cutting?

My laptop went to sleep during a test cut and the Shapeoko stopped in place.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:02 am

cvoinescu wrote:That sounds like an entirely different problem, and ferrite cores will not solve it. The only idea I have is to use an optical output, if your computer or soundcard have one, and a separate DAC of some sort (not sure whether anything is available cheaply).
Thanks. :)

I used to have an XMOS audio board (it's a separate USB thing), I suspect would do the trick. But, it's in storage overseas at the moment. No chance of getting it any time soon. :(
Shapeoko 3 #516

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:46 pm

jalapano wrote:Would it be possible to add a feature to Carbide Motion where it would prevents my computer from going to sleep while cutting?

My laptop went to sleep during a test cut and the Shapeoko stopped in place.
That's a good idea given the problems you'd get having the machine go to sleep mid-job. It would be a nice "user friendly" addition.

But until they add it, it's generally pretty easy to change the settings on the computer to prevent it from going to sleep or making the delay it waits until sleeping longer. It will depend on your specific operating system, etc. but should be easy to find online.

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 pm

veng1 wrote:If the noise is traveling along the USB cable, then an galvanic isolator like like @cvoinescu is describing is the best bet. I'm looking forward to seeing what his final design does and if it has a few optical isolated switch inputs. Subtle hint here...
I have a similar problem, except I am just using the black marker (no router yet) with the 'Hello World' test. I ran separate electrical circuits for my machine; 1 15A circuit for the PC and Dewalt router, a second 15A circuit for the CNC machine. I can finish the logo test just fine, but if I close Carbide Motion and then restart it, it cannot connect to the CNC machine. If I unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in, Carbide Motion can connect to the CNC machine.

Would something like this work? USB2ISO USB 2.0 Galvanic Isolator Adaptor
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:34 pm

RoguePirin wrote:
veng1 wrote:I can finish the logo test just fine, but if I close Carbide Motion and then restart it, it cannot connect to the CNC machine. If I unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in, Carbide Motion can connect to the CNC machine.
That kind of sounds like a problem with Carbide Motion, instead of an electrical one. :(
Shapeoko 3 #516

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:06 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:That kind of sounds like a problem with Carbide Motion, instead of an electrical one. :(
Yeah, that sound more likely, I suppose. :( Maybe I will try UGS and see if my connection issues go away.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

shoko3pr

Post by shoko3pr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm using UGS and have the same problem :'(
RoguePirin wrote:
AnonymousPerson wrote:That kind of sounds like a problem with Carbide Motion, instead of an electrical one. :(
Yeah, that sound more likely, I suppose. :( Maybe I will try UGS and see if my connection issues go away.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:23 pm

Which OS are you guys using?
Shapeoko 3 #516