Replacement waste board

Talk about all things CNC
joebananas10

Replacement waste board

Post by joebananas10 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 am

i just got my unit assembled and I had a question about the waste board.

I assume the waste board comes in two pieces because is makes the kit easier to ship but I'm open to the idea that there might be some additional rigidity from two half size pieces over a single large piece. Has anyone attempted replacing the two halves with a single piece of MDF and if so have you noticed improved flatness or rigidity? Additionally, what about MDF versus white melamine.

I really like the pix of the aluminum bases that have been floating around but at a cost of $400+ it seems a little unrealistic. If there's an improvement in flatness and/or rigidity from a single board with minimal cost, that's much easier to justify.

TIA.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Replacement waste board

Post by WillAdams » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

FargoPhil

Post by FargoPhil » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:09 pm

I've done a bit of price shopping online to see what it would cost to make something similar on my own. It looks like $250 is the price for a 1/2" x 24" x 36" plate of aluminum. Ebay, onlinemetals.com, etc. So for the extra $150 you get one that's cut to size, has holes drilled and tapped, and is black anodized. Sounds like a very reasonable price to me. That said, a $400 upgrade for a $1000 machine is a tough pill to swallow, so I'm probably not going to be able to justify one myself.

Phil

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:45 pm

I got a $12 MDF sheet from Home Depot and attached it to the top of the existing wasteboard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:08 pm

A nice easy DIY way to make a 1 piece wasteboard:

1.) Remove your 2 part MDF from the machine
2.) Aligning together, and clamping to ensure no movement, lay the two pieces on top of a single piece of MDF (or other material) that is at least 24" x 30".
3.) Using a transfer punch, duplicate the hole pattern onto the new single piece.
4.) Trace the outline to duplicate the profile. Remove the clamps and original pieces.
5.) Use any sort of saw to cut out the profile. Accuracy isn't too important as it's the hole centers that 'count' in the design.
6.) Use a 6.5mm (1/4") center drill bit to make the through holes. Use a larger (1/2") bit to create some 'countersinks'
7.) For bonus points: First use a 12mm (1/2") forstner bit to produce the countersinks, then use a 6.5mm (1/4") center drill bit to make the through holes.

Let me know if anyone does this!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

whiskeybeard

Post by whiskeybeard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:23 am

edwardrford wrote:A nice easy DIY way to make a 1 piece wasteboard:

1.) Remove your 2 part MDF from the machine
2.) Aligning together, and clamping to ensure no movement, lay the two pieces on top of a single piece of MDF (or other material) that is at least 24" x 30".
3.) Using a transfer punch, duplicate the hole pattern onto the new single piece.
4.) Trace the outline to duplicate the profile. Remove the clamps and original pieces.
5.) Use any sort of saw to cut out the profile. Accuracy isn't too important as it's the hole centers that 'count' in the design.
6.) Use a 6.5mm (1/4") center drill bit to make the through holes. Use a larger (1/2") bit to create some 'countersinks'
7.) For bonus points: First use a 12mm (1/2") forstner bit to produce the countersinks, then use a 6.5mm (1/4") center drill bit to make the through holes.

Let me know if anyone does this!

-Edward
I did just this, 5 months later to the day! Haha. I also got my annual work out by drilling and installing 8 x 8 threaded inserts. I just need to install the drag chains and re-print the bottom half of the dust boot.

172pilot

Post by 172pilot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:03 am

love how those threaded inserts are in there.. Did you by chance use the CNC itself to drill those holes? If so.. do you still have the GCode?

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 pm

The holes were probably done by something else. Saying that because the Shapeoko itself isn't able to reach all of the spaces on the wasteboard (due to X/Y limitations) where holes are seen in the photo. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516