Tips for building 1000mm x 1000mm Shapeoko 2

Talk about all things CNC
metalli445

Tips for building 1000mm x 1000mm Shapeoko 2

Post by metalli445 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Hello,

I currently have a perfectly running Shapeoko 2 of the standard size. The information to my build is in my signature. I eventually want to upgrade to 1000mm x 1500mm but first I want to go to 1000mm by 1000mm. I know this page exists https://www.inventables.com/projects/10 ... pgrade-kit with what's needed to upgrade. I'm wondering if there is anything else that is needed before I tear into my machine and realize I need something else to complete the setup. Anything I can add to stiffen up the frame besides what is provided in the kit? I realize the wasteboard is backordered and I'll have to make\cut my own to size. Thanks

Pat
Shapeoko 2 Mechanical Kit - NEMA 23- X and Y axis, NEMA 17-Z axis, Acme Upgrade, DW660 with mounts. Arduino-gShield with .9i loaded

xfredericox

Re: Tips for building 1000mm x 1000mm Shapeoko 2

Post by xfredericox » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 pm

you should add 3 meters of drag chain and 10 meters of shielded stepper cable. you'll have too much but it's better to have some spare parts than to have to order twice.
I made an alu frame from 20x20mm profiles with one rib in both directions to stiffen it all up. I also made my own wasteboard out of 18mm MDF but I would recommend sticking to the stock thickness (or maybe slightly thicker) because I had to mill out clearance under the V-wheels of the Y-axes.
I did the conversion recently and did it right this time. drag chain is immensely helpful. I also mounted new connectors to all cable ends so when i decide to upgrade or replace my steppers, it can be done without too much hassle.
Visit my blog for updates on my current SO2/lasercutting/... projects.
http://www.manmademayhem.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Things to do:

- build a torsion box bed which is rigid
- get side supports for the Y-axis (I'd skip the intermediate size and just go straight to 1500, less waste of material that way, and you won't have to then repurpose the 1000mm Makerslide)
- fasten the X-axis Makerslide together --- at a minimum --- add some additional material to stiffen that axis --- I really think a pair of T or L-shaped extrusions would be best for this. Alternately, you may want to look at using a sturdier extrusion.
- cable management becomes a necessity at the larger sizes
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

metalli445

Post by metalli445 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Thank you for your reply. I completely forgot about cable management. The 3m of drag chain will be enough for both the X and Y axis? Do you remember which Part # you used for the drag chain and I assume I'll need 4 drag chain end links to connect the the end plates? Is this what you mean by the shielded stepper cable? https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... otor-cable

Thanks
Shapeoko 2 Mechanical Kit - NEMA 23- X and Y axis, NEMA 17-Z axis, Acme Upgrade, DW660 with mounts. Arduino-gShield with .9i loaded

metalli445

Post by metalli445 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:20 pm

WillAdams wrote:Things to do:

- build a torsion box bed which is rigid
- get side supports for the Y-axis (I'd skip the intermediate size and just go straight to 1500, less waste of material that way, and you won't have to then repurpose the 1000mm Makerslide)
- fasten the X-axis Makerslide together --- at a minimum --- add some additional material to stiffen that axis --- I really think a pair of T or L-shaped extrusions would be best for this. Alternately, you may want to look at using a sturdier extrusion.
- cable management becomes a necessity at the larger sizes
I really want to go to the 1500mm right away but I was worried about it taking to much time to get everything setup. I do a lot of cutting but I guess it would be better to take the time to get it exactly how I want it one time. I planned on building a torsion box bed whether I did 1000mm by 1000mm or 1500mm by 1000mm. I'm not familiar with the other extrusions on the market that are stronger and would work with the Shapeoko but I have heard of the L shaped brackets that stiffen up the rails. I would definitely want to do that. I wish they had a page dedicated to everything needed to upgrade to the 1000 by 1500 like they do with the 1000 by 1000.

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:21 pm

In my engineering opinion, a typical woodworker's torsion box you see on the web is a bit excessive, hard to make quickly, and overkill for this application. Structurally, I really like Norm Abram's work table design (https://youtu.be/yvk4nDQBie4). It's very lightweight (= cheap to make) and still dead flat. It's technically a "torsion-box" (should be called hollow core) but much easier to build. You can scale it to whatever size you need.

The most important part of any "torsion-box" is the box need to be completely encased. Meaning the thin stress-skin must be installed on the top and bottom of the table and well attached to the spars or runners (think aircraft wing). That's what gives the "torsion-box" it's strength and stiffness. The rest is just gravy.

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Are you sure that upgrade kit is still available? I recently emailed Inventables about it and was referred to X Carve 1000mm rail kit. I assumed by that, that the SO2 upgrade kit is no longer being offered. It's confusing to me. I just want to upgrade my SO2 and not get caught in the middle of Inventables not supporting the SO2 anymore.

metalli445 wrote:Hello,

I currently have a perfectly running Shapeoko 2 of the standard size. The information to my build is in my signature. I eventually want to upgrade to 1000mm x 1500mm but first I want to go to 1000mm by 1000mm. I know this page exists https://www.inventables.com/projects/10 ... pgrade-kit with what's needed to upgrade. I'm wondering if there is anything else that is needed before I tear into my machine and realize I need something else to complete the setup. Anything I can add to stiffen up the frame besides what is provided in the kit? I realize the wasteboard is backordered and I'll have to make\cut my own to size. Thanks

Pat
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Supporting the X-Carve should be the same as supporting the SO2 --- the only differences are the endplates (cosmetic), cable management (side-turned drag chain), X-axis carriage (a custom extrusion as opposed to assembled pieces) --- maybe some minor odds and ends --- the rails, &c. for an upgrade kit should be equivalent between the two.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

metalli445

Post by metalli445 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm not sure about the upgrade kit still being available. You can still add the items to the cart which I've done many times but I haven't pulled the trigger on ordering. I wish there was a number where you can call, tell them what you are trying to achieve and they point you in the right direction with the correct parts.
bharbour wrote:Are you sure that upgrade kit is still available? I recently emailed Inventables about it and was referred to X Carve 1000mm rail kit. I assumed by that, that the SO2 upgrade kit is no longer being offered. It's confusing to me. I just want to upgrade my SO2 and not get caught in the middle of Inventables not supporting the SO2 anymore.

metalli445 wrote:Hello,

Pat

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:11 pm

What about the wiring kit? I'm assuming I'd need to order the wiring kit as well.

WillAdams wrote:Supporting the X-Carve should be the same as supporting the SO2 --- the only differences are the endplates (cosmetic), cable management (side-turned drag chain), X-axis carriage (a custom extrusion as opposed to assembled pieces) --- maybe some minor odds and ends --- the rails, &c. for an upgrade kit should be equivalent between the two.
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com