CNC Piranha Fx

Talk about all things CNC
sgth0mas

Re: CNC Piranha Fx

Post by sgth0mas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:53 am

tek wrote:
sgth0mas wrote: Overall, im happy i went with the axiom. Its been awesome aside from limited feed rate. Realistically...I wouldnt expect it to cut over 110 IPM.

It was also near 700 more after vcarve.
110 IPM is pretty low, but I could live with it. Does one require vcarve to drive it? Can you use Dewalt router instead of Bosch?
I thought the 110 IPM was actually going to be a deal breaker so I almost returned it. Then I started using it with the COLT and realized that I would be hard pressed to push much faster. As a frame of reference....I was used to a 4'x8' shopbot that would blast through wood with 1/2" cutters over 200IPM with no problem. I would still prefer closer to 150 IPM as a minimum...but I actually stay below 100 IPM with the colt most of the time.

You would have to make a different mount yourself for the dewalt which was another con for me. I'm not a fan of the colt...but now that I've gotten the hand of it and replaced the collet...it's performed better than I expected.

If you create a post of it...you should be able to use any CAM software you want. I'm not sure if F360 has a post for it yet, but they will make a custom code. I just like vCarve for the simplicity and speed in 2.5D machining.

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:55 am

Also...you will not be able to expand the size of the AR1. That wasn't an issue for me because I can still hop on a large shopbot when needed...but if that's something you want to do...this isn't the machine for you.

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:00 am

sgth0mas wrote:This was one of the options i weighed when i chose the Axiom AR1. I couldnt stand that the shark was all made of HDPE. I also went and saw a shark HD3, but the spindle carriage had a lot of flex.

My goal was tight tolerences, but i didnt need a big build area.

Overall, im happy i went with the axiom. Its been awesome aside from limited feed rate. Realistically...I wouldnt expect it to cut over 110 IPM.

This one never even came up on my radar when I was casting about for a desktop CNC. And after trying to do a "fake" order on Amazon (to see what the damage would be for shipping, duty etc to Canada) I can see why: they won't ship this to Canada. Rockler won't either, so I had to use the only distributor in Canada (outside of Quebec) which happened to have a store near me, so it worked out well for me (so far).

I haven't cut anything yet (just setting it up tonight, and making sure I have everything updated and ready to roll), and already I'm pretty thrilled to have a handy little CNC that I can take along with me, and having the pendant is a real treat. The HDPE seems to be pretty solid right out of the box, but I don't really need tight tolerance or repeat-ability (mostly wood is what I'll be chewing up), so I think the weight/strength compromise will suit my needs. THe modules (laser and 3D printing) seem to be a little on the steep side (compared to other options) but I don't want to have to relive the DIY headaches I have already experienced with the SO2, so I think I can accept the extra cost as a "cost of doing business" even though I am only a hobbyist.
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:13 am

ALuomala wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:This was one of the options i weighed when i chose the Axiom AR1. I couldnt stand that the shark was all made of HDPE. I also went and saw a shark HD3, but the spindle carriage had a lot of flex.

My goal was tight tolerences, but i didnt need a big build area.

Overall, im happy i went with the axiom. Its been awesome aside from limited feed rate. Realistically...I wouldnt expect it to cut over 110 IPM.

This one never even came up on my radar when I was casting about for a desktop CNC. And after trying to do a "fake" order on Amazon (to see what the damage would be for shipping, duty etc to Canada) I can see why: they won't ship this to Canada. Rockler won't either, so I had to use the only distributor in Canada (outside of Quebec) which happened to have a store near me, so it worked out well for me (so far).

I haven't cut anything yet (just setting it up tonight, and making sure I have everything updated and ready to roll), and already I'm pretty thrilled to have a handy little CNC that I can take along with me, and having the pendant is a real treat. The HDPE seems to be pretty solid right out of the box, but I don't really need tight tolerance or repeat-ability (mostly wood is what I'll be chewing up), so I think the weight/strength compromise will suit my needs. THe modules (laser and 3D printing) seem to be a little on the steep side (compared to other options) but I don't want to have to relive the DIY headaches I have already experienced with the SO2, so I think I can accept the extra cost as a "cost of doing business" even though I am only a hobbyist.
Yes i had a very specific set of requirements. Holding tolerances was the biggest deal to me. I believe sharks have always been geared towards wood.

I also wanted plug and play. The industrial controller and pendent have been awesome. Ive never had a freeze or a disconnet and i run everything off the same breaker (vacuum, router and machine).

But its not really a direct competitor to the SO3 because of the cost and small size.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:37 am

sgth0mas wrote:
Yes i had a very specific set of requirements. Holding tolerances was the biggest deal to me. I believe sharks have always been geared towards wood.
You might have made right decision. I am battling Shapeoko 3 to get even slightest resemblance of accuracy. There are no official instructions from Carbide3D on how to square machine up and out of box my circles are not circles and single cut circle of 17mm is something like an ellipse with diameters from 16.4mm to 17.2mm... So far I spent more time squaring machine and trying to figure out what is wrong with it, than I have putting it together. I wish I knew up front what tolerances were to be expected from Shapeoko 3 when assembled using instructions from Carbide3D since what I am seeing is totally unacceptable for my usage... I'll invest one more day to see where I get and then cut my loses and move on...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:02 pm

It’s a kit. The pre-assembled machine is over here: http://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/f ... 1257580459

We’ve always been up-front about the balance of the documentation beyond initial assembly, setup, and testing being the wiki, and the support being either via forums, or e-mail. You have to remember though a lot of us got machines back when the only documentation was a Kickstarter page, and some assembly diagrams — it’s a hobbyist machine, where some sweat-equity will get you 80% of the capabilities of a professional machine at 20% of the price.

From the front page of the wiki:
The Shapeoko is a 3-axis CNC machine kit. It is intended to provide basic functionality while being simple to understand, assemble, and operate --- all this at the lowest possible price. The stock configuration forgoes many features that are standard in more expensive machines (but many can be added as upgrades). This imposes limitations that the user has to work around. Despite this, or maybe because of this, many people with no prior experience with CNC, woodworking, or machining have successfully assembled and operated Shapeoko machines. Like most things in life, what you get out of it reflects the effort, preparation and patience you are willing to exert.
Of course, there’s Edward’s soon-to-be-released book, which if it isn’t included w/ machines, will probably create a brand new set of complaints.

The problem w/ trying to work up an official set of instructions is that they then increase the perceived cost of the kit (some idiot at a magazine when reviewing will add the extra long micrometer which Tim borrowed to the list of tools which are “needed” to assemble it, which will result in it being priced out of a lot of people’s perceptions.

First thing to check is Climb vs. Conventional — have you made a pass w/ a roughing clearance and then a finishing pass in different directions? http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... al_Milling

You can square the machine up w/ a length of thread (use it to measure diagonally) — mark the corners which are too acute or too obtuse — disassemble the machine and first try flipping one of the Y-axis rails, if that doesn’t help, restore it, and try flipping the other, if that didn’t work, you’ll need to file or drill out the holes to adjust things, or maybe shim w/ aluminum foil — it’s a combinatorial nightmare working out all the possibilities, but there’s space on the wiki if anyone wants to.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

DRobs86

Post by DRobs86 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:49 pm

In what world of small hobby cnc is 110 ipm cutting feedrate slow? Maybe if you take .01 stepdowns its low, but for anyone actually making sawdust thats not a bad feed.

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:18 pm

DRobs86 wrote:In what world of small hobby cnc is 110 ipm cutting feedrate slow? Maybe if you take .01 stepdowns its low, but for anyone actually making sawdust thats not a bad feed.
Meh...its low if you like cutter life and have the horsepower to push the tool. But ive since noticed that the colt would probably have reserves going that fast. Running a low feed just overheats and dulls your cutters prematurely. I working on a mist coolant system so well see where that takes us.

Its also low if you bought a machine that falsely publishes a 200 IPM feedrate...lol.

Kyleitzen

Post by Kyleitzen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:20 pm

When I started looking at CNC routers this was the first product that I considered purchasing until I found the shapeoko 3. Everyone told me to buy my second machine first. The main complaints I found online were extremely limited work surface, HDPE structural components, and gantry flex. Coupled with the fact people had to modify and add bolts to hold their aluminum bed flat amd true to the machine.
SO3: Mods: baltic birch worksurface, vacuum table
Primary use: plastics engraving, name tags
www.ItzenSigns.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm

It was a Kickstarter project --- always a good idea to check out the Comments section: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... g/comments
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets