SO3 Gantry Stiffness in Y direction

Talk about all things CNC
Gadgetman!

Re: SO3 Gantry Stiffness in Y direction

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:32 pm

On the SO3?

Well...
you could add another beam to the machine, parallell to the X-axis, and connect the carriage to that, too.
Either above or beside the X-axis.
(If you mount it beside the X-axis you may want to bolt them together)

But I expect that the best effect will be if you replace those 6mm GT2 belts with either 9 or 12mm belts.

Edit: Using a flexible axle or other way to move the weight off the carriage, or to get the spindle closer to the X-axis may be great idea in an ideal world...
It does assume quite a bit from whatever bearings is used in the shaft, though.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

kayaker

Post by kayaker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:39 am

Fablicator wrote:Added (2) .625 x 1.25 x 7" Aluminum stiffeners to mine. Testing to commence tomorrow.
IMG_20150917_212705.jpg
Has the modification resulted in less deflection in the Y direction?
Take Care,

Jim. . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever; "when everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking!"

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:31 am

Significantly stiffer. I get much less chatter than before.

It still is weaker in the Y direction, but not nearly as bad. Seems like the V Wheels and the belts are now the major cause of flex.

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 pm

It still is weaker in the Y direction, but not nearly as bad. Seems like the V Wheels and the belts are now the major cause of flex.

What materials are you cutting with it? I've got a project coming up that I'll be attempting to cut 1/4" 360 Brass. It'd be great if any one that has experience with this could share some speeds and feeds info. I'm still on a bone stock SO3 with the dwp611. I'll likely be using a 3/16" solid carbide end mill.

Cheers,

Mike
Shapeoko 3 #0773

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:01 pm

MikeD wrote:

What materials are you cutting with it? I've got a project coming up that I'll be attempting to cut 1/4" 360 Brass. It'd be great if any one that has experience with this could share some speeds and feeds info. I'm still on a bone stock SO3 with the dwp611. I'll likely be using a 3/16" solid carbide end mill.

Cheers,

Mike
6061 and 7075 aluminum, up to .625" thick so far.

A lot of the feeds are dependent on the type of paths you are making. I have 2 favorites setups for adaptive clearing:

60IPM, .1" stepover, .063" deep
60IPM .025" stepover, .25" deep.

If you are taking full cut widths (like for a slot) you will have to reduce those to half half the IPM or depth. Maybe both. I haven't done much slotting yet.

For a completely stock machine using a 3/16" endmill and adaptive clearing, I would start at 20 IPM, .06" stepover, and .032" deep.

Once that's proven out, I would then start increasing federate, and then depth of cut until it makes you slightly uncomfortable.

My gut says 50IPM, .06" stepover, and .045" depth should work, but I wouldn't start there. I'm not afraid of breaking a tool to figure out a max cutting rate, so take my level of risk into consideration.

~Andrew

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. What CAM package are you using? It sounds like you are using some HSM techniques (small step over, high feed rate, long depth of cut). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3AqIZURMbI
Shapeoko 3 #0773

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 am

MikeD wrote:Cool, thanks for the info. What CAM package are you using? It sounds like you are using some HSM techniques (small step over, high feed rate, long depth of cut). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3AqIZURMbI
Fusion 360, HSM all the way. Still can't believe the software is free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOvgP6ScfrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKbOUOItRSE

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:54 am

That's bad ass. Definitely going to need to invest the time to learn autodesk. The simplicity of meshCAM is very alluring, but at the same time frustrating in its limitations. Easel was great for taking print screen images off google image search and turning into art for the wife, but watching the tool path it spit out.... on a part or two i suppose it saves you some time, but in a harder material, or on a higher run part there is no substitute for a proper tool path.

Thanks for sharing the videos, very inspiring. Downloading autodesk in the AM.
Shapeoko 3 #0773

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Andrew,

Did you have to edit the post processor to get F360 to output code that was useable right away? I generated some code, but to get it to run I had to go put a J0 every line that there was an I and no J. Pretty cool software, very easy to use otherwise.

I found this video of some one hauling ass on an SO2... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85C88YrdhHg

-Mike
Shapeoko 3 #0773

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:00 pm

The F360 update from a few days ago added a new "Carbide3D" option to their built in post list.

Been trying it out yesterday and today with simple stuff (Face, 3D adaptive, and some 3d pocket operations). So far it's "just worked".

Maybe give that a shot too and see how it goes? :)
Shapeoko 3 #516