Cutouts for enclosures

Talk about all things CNC
digital_dreamer

Cutouts for enclosures

Post by digital_dreamer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm in the need of making cutouts for 4x6x3 aluminum enclosures with .04" thickness.
There is no separate, detachable panel. The cutouts need to be on the 4x6 side, where the 3" is the depth.

I can see that the Z movement is 3" maximum on the Shapeoko3.
Is it possible to make this work on this mill with some modifications (moving spindle up or wasteboard down/out)?
Or should I be looking elsewhere?

kind regards,
MAJ

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Cutouts for enclosures

Post by WillAdams » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:13 pm

You can either clamp to the front of the machine or make a cutout in the wasteboard to accommodate your part --- the front cutting is probably too narrow, but putting a hole in the machine works well if one has a reasonable technique for clamping it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 pm

IIRC, the Z clearance is actually more than 3", so if you put the spindle bracket on the top set of mounting holes, mounted your spindle fairly high up in the bracket (unfortunately covering the 611's shaft lock button, making it harder to quickly swap bits) and use a fairly short bit, you might be able to make it work. I can give you some more precise numbers tonight.

I wouldn't want to work that way permanently, though.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

digital_dreamer

Post by digital_dreamer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Oh, cool. Thanks for those replies!

Now, even if there's clearance to begin cutting, how much distance is there between the bit and the gantry, which seems to hang lower? Or any other parts that may not clear?

EDIT: Nevermind regarding the gantry. I looked at the pictures again and see that it doesn't hang lower. But, the spindle support does.

best regards,
MAJ

umkfr

Post by umkfr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 am

Hello !

I use my SO3 for the same purpose, cutting aluminium enclosure.
I cut the wasteboard to fit with different sizes of enclosure and it works perfectly !

here is a picture to show you how I did it :

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:57 am

Ok, I took some measurements off the machine.

Total vertical clearance between the gantry and the wasteboard is 3.5 inches.

When the spindle mounting block is attached to the upper set of holes and the Z axis is raised to the highest position, there is 2.2 inches of additional clearance between the bottom of the mounting block and the bottom of the gantry.

From the bottom of the Dewalt 611 to the bottom of its nut is about .7 inches.

So yeah, I'd say this is doable. If your bit extends 1 inch below the nut, that's still another inch of extra clearance between the bottom of the bit at the highest position and the top of your enclosure.

That said, the springs on my Z axis aren't strong enough to prevent it from plunging a bit when the power is turned off, which is no big deal when there's several inches of air below the bit, but would be very bad if there was a big block of aluminum in the way.

Also, it's 2am here, so I might have made a math error somewhere. :D
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

digital_dreamer

Post by digital_dreamer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Wow, guys. Thanks for the update.
I've been on numerous forums over the last 15 years and have never run into such a helpful bunch of guys like you all.

All of this is useful and helpful info.

best regards,
MAJ