T-Track hold down for my Shapeoko

Talk about all things CNC
COMarcus

T-Track hold down for my Shapeoko

Post by COMarcus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Just thought I would share a picture of what I ended up doing for hold downs on my SO3. Im a woodworker by trade, so live and die by the t-track, which I have a bunch of and hold downs in the shop. I just added a few strips to the base of the SO3 and used my existing clamps. Works great, just have to be careful w/ clamp placement. I may see if I can find some lower profile clamps laying around somewhere. Also, that UHMW sheet was use screwed down to the based and then I cut a right angle and the machine's 0,0 so i have a nice place to start all of my work and 2 square faces to the machine's cutter. Works well!

Attachments
Shapeoko_T-Track.jpg
Shapeoko T Track
Shapeoko_T-Track.jpg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 8784 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: T-Track hold down for my Shapeoko

Post by WillAdams » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Nice!

Did you consider using one of the intersections and arranging the T-track in an X?

probably that's the next thing which I'm going to do, though I'm thinking I want to make my own intersection which will afford two different angles so as to better fit the bed design I'm envisioning for when I expand.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

COMarcus

Post by COMarcus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Doing an X was my original plan, but I did not have an intersection piece lying around and didn't want to buy one. I thought for a second about cutting nice 45 degree ends in all of the pieces, but I am a fan of Keep it Simple Stupid, so went w/ just the parallel strips. I made sure to keep them far enough from the edges so that my clamps would could turn 180 degrees without hitting the X-gantry and then used spacing for sizes I think I will most commonly use. If that turns out not to be the case, pretty easy to take the screws out of the t-track and reconfigure.

COMarcus

Post by COMarcus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:56 pm

By the way, cutting UHMW plastic is a horrible mess. I think i'll be picking out plastic shavings out of every crevice in the shop for months to come.