X,Y, Auto Zero?

Talk about all things CNC
James RS

X,Y, Auto Zero?

Post by James RS » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if there's a way to setup a auto zero in the Carbide Software?

Thanks Jim

AnonymousPerson

Re: X,Y, Auto Zero?

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:56 pm

When you say "auto zero", what are you meaning? :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

James RS

Post by James RS » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:46 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:When you say "auto zero", what are you meaning? :)

Hello,
I always start my projects with the x,y zero bottom left and would like to have the S3 go to that point
When I load the Gcode automatically. I've seen videos of some people doing this, but not sure how?

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:21 pm

James RS wrote:I always start my projects with the x,y zero bottom left and would like to have the S3 go to that point
When I load the Gcode automatically. I've seen videos of some people doing this, but not sure how?
People do this kind of thing for the X and Y axis by installing hardware "limit switches", then enabling the option to use them in GRBL.

Some info here, and there's a more about it if you search the forum for the term "limit switches".

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Limit_Switches

It's not something I've gotten around to doing myself though, so no practical experience with it (yet). ;)

For the Z axis it seems to be a bit more complicated. The 0 point for the Z axis changes with the length of the end mill. eg if you have an end mill that sticks out 20mm, the 0 point is different than an end mill that sticks out 30 mm. One approach to deal with that is using a Touch plate. (again, searching for that term should lead to the info you want :>)

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Touch_Plate

This is something I'm putting time into now as well. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516