Talk about all things CNC
jayftee

Re: Build 00947 (Metal Bed & Upgrades)

Post by jayftee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:25 am

Forth upgrade, monster wheels !!!

Along with his prototype plate, Edward send me new wheels, check them out:
IMG_1915 (Small).JPG
IMG_1915 (Small).JPG (39.09 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Same delrin material, same hole for the bearing, same spacer size between the bearing, in fact, it is an evolution of the basic wheel where the V groove is extended. In terms of diameter, its 3mm bigger.
IMG_1916 (Small).JPG
IMG_1916 (Small).JPG (34.83 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Now, the bearing sits flush with the outer edge if the wheel.

Those wheels are meant to be used on the carriage, not elsewhere. After a quick check, if the same wheel would be used all over, there would be some clearance issues, well, from the looks of it :P
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:46 am

As with any prototypes, clearances are not perfect !

If you look closely, you can see a blemish on the outer edge of the right bent. I scraped the paint there while moving the assembled carriage by hand trying to adjust the eccentric nuts.
IMG_1921 (Small).JPG
IMG_1921 (Small).JPG (68.5 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Keen eyes would take notice of 2 things. First, my use of orange, 80lbs rated, fishing line to hold the spring in place, and second, the different screws used to hold the wheels in place.

During the build, I tried to use oversize washers to stop the springs from leaving their intended location. But that caused problems trying to slide on the other part of the carriage. As it turned out, fishing line is compressible and its holding the spring there by looping around the screw and over the open end of the spring. Then three simple nots and voilà. They wont be seen because of the flanges on the carriage plate so, even if its an ugly fix, who cares ;)

As for the screws, they were needed because I decided to use a 3mm precision spacer instead of a 1mm precision spacer on the wheels to go around the clearance problem that lead me to scrape the paint of the carriage.
IMG_1922 (Small).JPG
IMG_1922 (Small).JPG (48.89 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
This is the end result:
IMG_1923 (Small).JPG
IMG_1923 (Small).JPG (56.02 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Yet, I have to take it apart again, sight. My 3rd time. Just when I thought everything was fine and was getting ready to screw in the last motor, I found out I used the regular 6mm pulley on the X axis motor, I screwed up, damn it. It does not look like I'll be able to finish that tomorrow. Its also why I stopped for tonight. Me being mad and trying to put things together, its a bad mix. So, better stopping there and start anew some other day.
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:52 am

All right,

There is no word yet from Edward if the prototype carriage will become a regular part or not. Last he said about it was

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... ury#p51914

As for the wheels, I think it will go a long way to stiffen the carriage, so, I guess, if ever an upgrade kit sees the light of day, I'd expect a new carriage and new set of wheels, but that is just that, a wild, wild guess.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed my posts so far, there will be more to come as my machine takes shape.

Jeff

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:17 am

After taking apart the Z stage again, the build continued.

Time to get scared. When putting the Z stage together (again) so I could fit in the 10mm GT2 pulley, I found out how long the pulley really was. Putting it in reverse as required by the build, makes it so I had to place the pulley about the thickness of a sheet of paper away from the stepper motor to keep room enough to secure the pulley on the shaft with the set screws.

At that point I was really hoping the belt would line up with where the pulley was placed. Finger crossed.
IMG_1927 (Small).JPG
IMG_1927 (Small).JPG (61.35 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

Moving on. When I picked up the last motor that the Z stage needed, I realized there were no flat on the shaft, it was perfectly round. Damn it. So, I had to file one to ensure no slippage would occur driving the router up and down. Taking care not to send shards inside the shaft area, protecting the top of the stepper motor with masking tape, I used a foot long, one inch wide file to slowly create a flat on the stepper.
IMG_1926 (Small).JPG
IMG_1926 (Small).JPG (77.11 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

Yes it fits :D I was scared for a moment. But you know what, there is not much room left. If the spacers were 10mm longer, the pulley could go its usual right side up, and support without any problems both 6mm and 9mm GT2 belts.
IMG_1946 (Small).JPG
IMG_1946 (Small).JPG (73.21 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:33 am

I believe at some point, that must have been tried, judging from some of the parts confusions.

However, AFAICT, endless GT2 belts don’t seem to be available.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:40 am

Here is a nice top view of the router mount plate prototype and the monster wheels. The wheels being mounted on 3mm spacers instead of 1mm, make it so the the Z belt is running at the very top of the stoppers, but in no danger whatsoever to slip out.
IMG_1944 (Small).JPG
IMG_1944 (Small).JPG (68.8 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

And again, the Z stage from the side. The 3mm wheel spacers made a huge difference in getting the prototype plate to play nice with the rest of the assembly. Now, if I had monster wheels to replace the X axis wheels, I'd be set. Hoping to see those monster wheels on Carbide's store soon ;)
IMG_1945 (Small).JPG
IMG_1945 (Small).JPG (66.11 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Another hiccup. It looks like when the fan holes where made, too much pressure was used to drill the holes. Dang :roll: This is not going to affect how the machine would operate, but it sure will make the fan not mount correctly. At any rate, this needs to be fixed if I am to put a top and bottom cover on that thing.
IMG_1943 (Small).JPG
IMG_1943 (Small).JPG (91.15 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:32 am

You know what? Sometimes it pays to double check your empty boxes before sending them in the recycling bin. As it turns out, I received the clamp kit with my metal bed after all :ugeek: I've written the length of what I have received in millimiters.
IMG_1949 (Small).JPG
IMG_1949 (Small).JPG (61.49 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
What I received differs a bit from what Edward posted in the new bed thread, in a good way. Red flat thumb screw adapters were provided along with different size M6 screws. If I am to guess, I'd be using those thumb screw placing them "top" facing down on the bed, so as to have a larger contact area as well as to protect the bed.
IMG_1953 (Small).JPG
IMG_1953 (Small).JPG (58.93 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
I am sure someone will have a good laugh at my guess, and yell "those are meant to be used on top, you idiot". Since those thumb screw adapters are so cheap, I can always order more, and use them on the top screws too! At any rate, I think keeping the clearance as low as possible close to the work area is something to strive for. And obviously, I'd be using a shorter screw with the thumb screw. I just took the first around :|

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:42 am

I picked these up on my last trip to Home Depot. The idea is to use them under the bed, but placing them on the straps, not the bed itself.

They don't seem to have a huge compression ratio, which would make the machine tilt as the X carriage moves around. And that would be a bad thing I guess :P
IMG_1950 (Small).JPG
IMG_1950 (Small).JPG (78.94 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Anyone with a solid, proven recommendation here?

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:51 am

Onto electronics now.

Looking at the instructions and what could be found on page 32 where it shows dip switches to set the stepping, when I look at the board I received, those switches are nowhere to be found.
IMG_1952a (Small).JPG
IMG_1952a (Small).JPG (73.42 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Markings reveal its version 2.2 of the board. What is the stepping set at on this particular version ?

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:57 am

WillAdams wrote:I believe at some point, that must have been tried, judging from some of the parts confusions.

However, AFAICT, endless GT2 belts don’t seem to be available.
I do not know how much of a difference it would make if one used a 9mm GT2 belt on the Z axis. It would require a change of the small flanged bearing at the bottom of the carriage, hole screw size for bigger bearing (hence no turning back if something doesn't work) and obviously a change of pulley.

Going to bigger flanged bearing may also require more space (meaning the use of spacers on the wheels like I did)

I haven't look, but if memory serves me right, its 520mm loop, right?